At What age did you peak as a Footballer/Hurler?

Started by Shamrock Shore, November 30, 2006, 10:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

probably 20, but fate was waiting in the wings to rear her ugly head, had to retire from senior football the following year - still not many of us get to retire at 22 having had 7 seasons of senior action!!  Won a few medals and was involved in underage county squads for about 4 yrs in total but never got a sniff of the John McLaughlin (Derry SFC).

trueblue

im 20 at the min and i wouldnt say im newer near my peak yet.id say i wont hit my peak til im in my mid twenties at least. though i have to say i know wat its like with college and all. i went to college 2 years ago and put on 2 stone and it took me to the start of this year to get back in to shape so i understand why college makes many people quit. ive had a good year this year though and ive started in the gym to try and build myself up a bit and keep myself in shape over the winter.

i was just wondering are other posters saying their peak year was the year when they won the most medals or the year wen they felt at their maximum condition in football or hurling??

North Longford

Late teens early 20's I'd say.
Played a couple of years for the county U21's (having never played for any previous underage county team but I always reckoned that was more of a political thing). Desie Dolan who trained the U21's and seniors even told me he expected I'd be on the senior panel the following year but of course he quit at the end of that year and the rest is history or lack of it!
Was actually playing midfield for the club senior team which Eugene mcGee was training. Billy will tell yee how much of an achievement that is as he knows the size of me!!)
At the same time was in the middle of a 5 year run playing for Sligo RTC senior team. Managed to be the only non county senior panelist on the team one year with 3 or 4 sitting on the line.
At that stage it was football almost 7 days a week but at about 23/24 came the first knee injury and it truely has been all doownhill from there. (with the odd spike)
Still playing a bit at 35 but its more a case of what could have been

dubnut

Was a late starter, was peaking just about the time I started to fall apart injury wise.
Not sure if I can go back next year but if I sort a few ankle issues I am hoping for one more year before I start to wane!
30 now btw

Mayo4Sam

Who are u lining out for next year dubnut?
I tried looking for that club thread but its a million pages long
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

brokencrossbar1

Was at my best (whatever that is) 1999/2000.  Was in the best physical shape of my life, played in the two greatest seasons of my clubs history and kept my place on the team throughout.  Was 23/24. Although I was never a prolific scorer, I scored a few memorable and vital scores during that time.  I went to pot after that with fitness problems and injury.

Hoping to get myself into decent shape this year as things have calmed down since last season and maybe get fit enough to play regularly and use my older, more experienced head to guide a group of younger lads in my new club.  A second coming you could say :D 

Croí na hÉireann

Would like to think I haven't peaked yet... Usual story, played up to minor, went to college, stopped going home weekends, lost touch... Started playing a few 5 asides after college & loved de exercise. Always thought about getting back to the football but didn't bite the biscuit till last year. Raging now I didn't go back sooner. Meant to start back hurling last summer as well but never happened as was riddled with one thing or another all year. Next year definitely!!!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Mayo4Sam

Croi I see a bright future ahead for u in 2007, I'll be back up to help out

Croí na hÉireann

Glad to hear that M4S, numbers are at an all time low, riddled with injuries. Brought a couple of lads over this year doh they're finding the turning up for training a bit problematic... Have the promise from two others that they'll be well up for joining next year, one's an Aussie so should fit nicely into de Junior team  ;D

dubnut

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on December 01, 2006, 01:12:41 PM
Who are u lining out for next year dubnut?
I tried looking for that club thread but its a million pages long

Local club in Meath, small club Mayo so wont reveal it, will pm you.

Mayo4Sam

U never met the last aussie we had, never quiet got the hang of the tackle.
MM just texted to say drinks on frinday week in the iveagh ground, must try and make it up for that
Will see who else can be recruited, reinvent the team

BallyhaiseMan

im only in my early twenties so i havent peaked yet.... i feel like im getting stronger and fitter each year..id say 24/25 is when you're at your peak.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

QuoteMM just texted to say drinks on frinday week in the iveagh ground, must try and make it up for that
Jaysus I didn't even know dat, that's de start of the xmas madness so, haven't been out in weeks and got final league match on Sun so gonna keep it quiet this weekend too, it's a must win... Have u got sick of country living already???

Carmen Stateside