Sports Journalists....

Started by 5 Sams, February 14, 2009, 12:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Humphries, Walsh and McIlvanney are top of the tree in my book.....

Heaney is top class in the parochial environment he operates in... ;)

Liam Hayes has made a fool of himself in the past but I dont think he's that stupid....theres obviously a method in his madness..

Loads of others deserve a mention but I couldnt be arsed at this time of the night TBH....gimme your views...

The Aristocrat Years

Doogie Browser

I really enjoy Paul Kimmage's interviews, I know he was a pro cyclist for a while and I think the fact he was a pro athlete definitely gives him an insight and advantage over others in his field. 

corn02

McIlvanney is a legend, his books are first rate.

DownFanatic

Brian Glanville. Writes for the Guardian and World Soccer magazine.

RedandGreenSniper

McIlvaney is past his best now and Granville is even further along that road.

Kimmage is very good - I'm not sure that its his insight that makes him as good as he is Doogie, rather pro sports people feel more comfortable in his presence because he is 'one of them'. Kimmage is also meant to be great at the silence treatment - if you only give a glip response he'll just stare you out of it, waiting for you to give him something noteworthy, its meant to be a very effective method!

Humphries and Duggan are top class too while Henry Winter and James Lawton would be my favourite soccer journalists.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Chrisowc

it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

Tony Baloney

No shock that the above are mostly Times/Sunday Times journalists. I rate all those mentioned as well as Stephen Jones for rugby. I like any journalist that has seen through the David Beckham pr machine and calls a spade a spade!

There is some fella at The Mirror I think is a one man Beckham pr man. Can't remember his name.

Minder

Oliver Holt is the chap i think Tony
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

QuoteI rate all those mentioned as well as Stephen Jones for rugby

Are you serious? That guy is a buffon and widely recognised as the worst rugby jounalist on the planet.
#newbridgeornowhere

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2009, 10:48:28 AM

Are you serious? That guy is a buffon and widely recognised as the worst rugby jounalist on the planet.
On the planet? Your survey must have been wide ranging. ;) Having said that I only read him when he is interviewing someone rather than his comment so you could be right.

Minder

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 14, 2009, 10:48:28 AM

I have no interest in Rugby so cant really comment,but how does he remain employed with a paper that has the standing of the Times? I believe he has been accused of having an anti-Munster slant,perhaps that has something to do with it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Dinny Breen

QuoteOn the planet? Your survey must have been wide ranging.

Nope just check out any of the forums on Planet Rugby, Gwald, Munsterfans etc...Gerry Thornley is the best rugby Journalist bar none in Ireland and from across the sea I like Stuart Barnes, Eddie Butler and Brian Moore.
#newbridgeornowhere

corn02

Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2009, 10:47:53 AM
Oliver Holt is the chap i think Tony

Holt is one of the better redtop writers. Not afraid to make a stance on something and usually back its up with good rationale. I like his writing.

Our Nail Loney

I like one of the new fellas who writes for the Irish News, can' think of his name

Niall something

doire na raithe

I think its Niall McCoy Our Nail.

I'm a keen follower of him myself. He writes some cracking stuff. He puts the journey back into journalism.