Gardening

Started by 118cmal, June 25, 2010, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJL

Quote from: redzone on April 24, 2020, 12:23:23 PM
I'm not saying power washer will damage the concrete, just weaken it. It takes years for concrete to fully cure. I wouldnt be to trusting on the amount of cement that goes into some of the mixes either.

Yes I agree that there is poor quality stuff out there. If the mix is right power hosing is no problem. I have a large retail yard that gets power hosed once and sometime twice a year. It is 18 years old and washes up like new.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: fearsiuil on April 24, 2020, 11:25:15 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on April 22, 2020, 02:38:03 PM
Can you move a clemitis from pot to ground now, first buds starting to bloom, it's a big pot
Of course you can, plant a few inches deeper than it is in the pot. Put some stones or similar on ground above roots to keep cool. Don't let plant dry out over next 3 weeks or so. Make sure you are planting in suitable spot.

Just seeing this now, went ahead and done that after reading up, thanks, seems good so far

trueblue1234

Looking at a new hedge cutter. Have always went petrol in the past but hearing some positive feedback on some of the battery power ones and that they have improved greatly. Anyone any experience of them? Will be doing a mix of heavy and light work. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

screenexile

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 12, 2020, 09:17:24 AM
Looking at a new hedge cutter. Have always went petrol in the past but hearing some positive feedback on some of the battery power ones and that they have improved greatly. Anyone any experience of them? Will be doing a mix of heavy and light work.

I have great experience of cutting the power cord 17 times when i try to use it!!

trueblue1234

Quote from: screenexile on May 12, 2020, 09:20:33 AM

I have great experience of cutting the power cord 17 times when i try to use it!!

Yeah would stay away from corded, distance is an issue.

fearsiuil

Check duration charged battery lasts (plus recharging time)and ability to cut the heavy stuff you mention. I use a 2 stroke double sided Stihl which is pricey but nothing better that will cut all day if you have enough mix.

Jim Bob

I bought the Stihl  94 Kombi system with the hedge trimmer and pole pruner attachments. Pricy but well worth it. Other attachments available as well.

trueblue1234

Cheers. Yeah would worry about the bigger stuff with a battery powered one. But then had heard that they've come along in leaps and bounds and are a lot lighter than the petrol.

How much was the Stihl combi out of interest?

fearsiuil

Quote from: trueblue1234 on May 12, 2020, 02:36:45 PM
Cheers. Yeah would worry about the bigger stuff with a battery powered one. But then had heard that they've come along in leaps and bounds and are a lot lighter than the petrol.

How much was the Stihl combi out of interest?

The attachments fit all the different engine units, there is 3 or 4 different engine sizes.

https://www.irishmowers.com/stihl-kombi-system.html

Jim Bob

https://www.frjonesandson.co.uk/#sqr:(q%5BStihl%20kombi%20%5D)

I dealt with this crowd at the start of the year. Very competitive prices and free delivery to the occupied state

bogball88

Quote from: bigfrank on April 21, 2020, 09:36:54 PM
Got a bucket of fertiliser off my father in law earlier,gonna sew it out 2Moro by hand as don't have a spreader,should be ok if I scatter equally right?? Should I soak the lawn first,always thought farmers wanted rain before they put it on fields. Then continue to water few times 2Moro and each day then??

It's not overly long but maybe should cut it first,maybe rake away moss and loose stones etc,spend hour or two doing some prep.

How did you get on with the fertiliser? Got a few buckets myself and thinking of getting it on to green it up a bit. All moss/fog gone so just left with a few thin/bare patches

BennyCake

Anyone growing tomatoes?

I planted some from seed but they're taking forever. Only 3/4 inches and growing very slow. I have them under plastic, and indoors at night so cold isn't a problem.

Planted sweet corn seedlings though, they're flying.

Scallions doing well too.

LeoMc

Quote from: BennyCake on May 13, 2020, 02:25:46 PM
Anyone growing tomatoes?

I planted some from seed but they're taking forever. Only 3/4 inches and growing very slow. I have them under plastic, and indoors at night so cold isn't a problem.

Have you them in big enough pots? At 3-4 inches they would be root bound in a 9cm pot.

BennyCake

Quote from: LeoMc on May 13, 2020, 04:17:15 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 13, 2020, 02:25:46 PM
Anyone growing tomatoes?

Have you them in big enough pots? At 3-4 inches they would be root bound in a 9cm pot.

Yeah pots are big enough. The roots aren't filling the whole pot yet so should have plenty of nutrients there

bigfrank

Quote from: bogball88 on May 13, 2020, 11:19:53 AM
Quote from: bigfrank on April 21, 2020, 09:36:54 PM
Got a bucket of fertiliser off my father in law earlier,gonna sew it out 2Moro by hand as don't have a spreader,should be ok if I scatter equally right?? Should I soak the lawn first,always thought farmers wanted rain before they put it on fields. Then continue to water few times 2Moro and each day then??

It's not overly long but maybe should cut it first,maybe rake away moss and loose stones etc,spend hour or two doing some prep.

How did you get on with the fertiliser? Got a few buckets myself and thinking of getting it on to green it up a bit. All moss/fog gone so just left with a few thin/bare patches

It's getting there slowly,I wouldn't have great patience tho lol. Near two weeks from I raked it to within an inch of its life,sewed grass seed and fertiliser,water it daily as there had been very little rain,not sure if I should be watering it more tho,can you over water grass in weather like this??

Gonna let it grow fairly long,maybe take a light cut off it and ket clippings stay on it,heard this may help,stay tuned....