How to avoid Sky

Started by turkey+ham, May 05, 2016, 11:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

I have kids and very much enjoy good television when they're gone to bed. I watch Sky Atlantic and I also use the Disney Channels for the kids. But most of what I watch is recorded so I treasure my Sky Box. Sky Atlantic is Sky's best weapon, seconded by their Sky + function. I don't want/need the other channels but they come with the package.

Why do people say TV dulls the mind? Surely that depends on what you're watching?

I work out three/four days a week so I'm not some couch potato. Some very presumptuous posts.

GJL

'I know a guy' who has a dream box. In his second year. Can record pause etc. All sky channels, BT Sports movies etc. Great job. First year subscription run out about 3 weeks ago. Sent the crowd £100 and hey presto up and running for another year.

Boycey

Quote from: GJL on May 05, 2016, 10:11:22 PM
'I know a guy' who has a dream box. In his second year. Can record pause etc. All sky channels, BT Sports movies etc. Great job. First year subscription run out about 3 weeks ago. Sent the crowd £100 and hey presto up and running for another year.

He was robbed... Subscriptions are about £15.. The box I linked does 90% of that and if u go up a level to vu+ duo you wouldn't tell the diff between it and sky+ box

screenexile

Quote from: No wides on May 05, 2016, 07:44:14 PM
Do you need 400 channels tell sky to f**k off, keep the box keep the free view channels, netflix is 6.99 keep every one happy, get a movie the odd night make it a treat, go to the cinema with the family.  Get out more and do more - f**k TV it is there to dull the mind.

Have you been to the cinema lately?? Nothing but muck for at least the last 3 years... TV is where it's at now there are some seriously fantastic shows about how.

Plus cinema is dear as balls!!

laoislad

Do you need 400 channels tell sky to f**k off, keep the box keep the free view channels, netflix is 6.99 keep every one happy, get a movie the odd night make it a treat, go to the cinema with the family.  Get out more and do more - f**k TV it is there to dull the mind.
How about you mind your own f**king business and not be concerned what anyone else does in their own free time.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 05:21:48 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 05, 2016, 04:58:24 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 05, 2016, 04:45:59 PM
What would you recommend for someone who had Sky, was happy to pay for it, but not the sports package? How would I best avail of the sports channels?

I'd still buy one of those boxes.. you can run up to 4 cables in from your dish
Sorry to sound like a novice, but are you saying I should buy all three of the products that General recommended, the box you recommended as well as having my own Sky Box?

Not quite..

You will need another box. Your existing box will be using one or two feeds from the dish so you can run another 1 or two in for a second box. General linked an entry level box, the one I linked is a mid level one there are dearer ones. If you are keeping your own skybox the cheaper one will do you fine.

Secondly the wifi dongle is to connect the box to your internet this is required for the 3rd thing to work.

Thirdly the subscription, it basically acts as a sky card and decodes all the channels...

With the box I linked it'll cost you £100 to set up and with generals it'll cost £60 after that it only costs the price of a subscription annually. For what its worth I think if you buy a dearer box you will eventually get rid of ur existing Sky subscription isn't the minimum package 20/30 a month anyway?

Disclaimer - Its always rumoured that SKY are on the verge of cutting off this loophole so it could all grind to a halt tomorrow but I've has 3 years of happy viewing so far...
Any way of setting up a multi - room affair with these boxes? I want to put the wains and their cartoons in another room where they currently play PS4.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 05, 2016, 11:38:41 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 05:21:48 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 05, 2016, 04:58:24 PM
Quote from: Boycey on May 05, 2016, 04:48:13 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on May 05, 2016, 04:45:59 PM
What would you recommend for someone who had Sky, was happy to pay for it, but not the sports package? How would I best avail of the sports channels?

I'd still buy one of those boxes.. you can run up to 4 cables in from your dish
Sorry to sound like a novice, but are you saying I should buy all three of the products that General recommended, the box you recommended as well as having my own Sky Box?

Not quite..

You will need another box. Your existing box will be using one or two feeds from the dish so you can run another 1 or two in for a second box. General linked an entry level box, the one I linked is a mid level one there are dearer ones. If you are keeping your own skybox the cheaper one will do you fine.

Secondly the wifi dongle is to connect the box to your internet this is required for the 3rd thing to work.

Thirdly the subscription, it basically acts as a sky card and decodes all the channels...

With the box I linked it'll cost you £100 to set up and with generals it'll cost £60 after that it only costs the price of a subscription annually. For what its worth I think if you buy a dearer box you will eventually get rid of ur existing Sky subscription isn't the minimum package 20/30 a month anyway?

Disclaimer - Its always rumoured that SKY are on the verge of cutting off this loophole so it could all grind to a halt tomorrow but I've has 3 years of happy viewing so far...
Any way of setting up a multi - room affair with these boxes? I want to put the wains and their cartoons in another room where they currently play PS4.

Yeah it can be done.. Simplest way is run another cable from dish to room where kids are and buy a cheap £50 box for that room. Like I say there are 4 outlets on most dishes..

With the twin tuner I have possiblyyou can loop one of the feeds out to another room but I've never tried it. I'm not even sure how u would change channel?

Tony Baloney

There are cables already there as I used to have a multi room box in that room.

StGallsGAA

QuoteAny way of setting up a multi - room affair with these boxes? I want to put the wains and their cartoons in another room where they currently play PS4.

Jaysus Tony,  the Waynes hardly need live Sky?  Is Netflix at €7 a month not good enough?

No wides

Quote from: laoislad on May 05, 2016, 11:04:14 PM
How about you mind your own f**king business and not be concerned what anyone else does in their own free time.

Sorry this is a discussion board where you with your 8000 odd posts are frequently subjecting other readers to your views, and you tell me to mind my own f**king business, you couldn't make it up.  So why don't you f**k off if you don't want to discuss.   ;)

RealSpiritof98

Is fibreoptic a must for theses, my mate brought his box up when he was babysitting for me and left it in for a few days, looked great, all sport all box office but it did stall the odd time especially when the kids were on the laptop. i have free bb from plusnet but i think the upgrade to fibreoptic is only £5.

Boycey

Quote from: StGallsGAA on May 06, 2016, 12:06:23 AM
QuoteAny way of setting up a multi - room affair with these boxes? I want to put the wains and their cartoons in another room where they currently play PS4.

Jaysus Tony,  the Waynes hardly need live Sky?  Is Netflix at €7 a month not good enough?

Netflix at £7 a month comes in at more than the cost of the full Sky package as detailed on this thread, it's a no brainer??

For what it's worth u can also get Netflix for about £10 a year ;)

Hereiam

Quote from: general on May 05, 2016, 12:06:30 PM
Buy one of these ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0156MR1TY/ref=s9_simh_gw_g23_i2_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=71JX857NJQNQD3HFB68C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551827&pf_rd_i=desktop

Buy one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XMS4EKO/ref=s9_simh_gw_g504_i1_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=71JX857NJQNQD3HFB68C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551827&pf_rd_i=desktop

connect to box, and to your wifi

Buy this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-MONTH-FULL-SKY-GIFT-WARRANTY-PPV-iBOX-ZGEMMA-AMIKO-SKYBOX-OPENBOX-V8S-F5S-F4S-/272218766122?hash=item3f6180bb2a:g:yYgAAOSw1DtXF~xR

watch the help video provided, with the details provided,

conect box to your wifi, sky dish, hey presto.Full sky.

i dont have one but i have heard these work perfect, all sky channels for £16 per year!

General i went with your advice and got the openbox and i am up and running. Never have had sky before and after seeing what was on offer i am glad i never give in to subscribing to it.
Its good to have the sports and the kids shows and the wife wanted sky Alantic to watch GOT.

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: Hereiam on May 13, 2016, 10:27:00 AM
Quote from: general on May 05, 2016, 12:06:30 PM
Buy one of these ;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0156MR1TY/ref=s9_simh_gw_g23_i2_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=71JX857NJQNQD3HFB68C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551827&pf_rd_i=desktop

Buy one of these;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XMS4EKO/ref=s9_simh_gw_g504_i1_r?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=71JX857NJQNQD3HFB68C&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=867551827&pf_rd_i=desktop

connect to box, and to your wifi

Buy this;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-MONTH-FULL-SKY-GIFT-WARRANTY-PPV-iBOX-ZGEMMA-AMIKO-SKYBOX-OPENBOX-V8S-F5S-F4S-/272218766122?hash=item3f6180bb2a:g:yYgAAOSw1DtXF~xR

watch the help video provided, with the details provided,

conect box to your wifi, sky dish, hey presto.Full sky.

i dont have one but i have heard these work perfect, all sky channels for £16 per year!

General i went with your advice and got the openbox and i am up and running. Never have had sky before and after seeing what was on offer i am glad i never give in to subscribing to it.
Its good to have the sports and the kids shows and the wife wanted sky Alantic to watch GOT.
How are you getting on with this? Will probably go this route as I can't get RTE at my house yet a house 30m away can get it.
Is the unscrambling service reliable enough? I've been told that some of the cheaper options can be unreliable as they would load people onto the server not capable of the demands.
Will probably go for the box Boycey mentioned.

Keyser soze

Quote from: No wides on May 06, 2016, 09:13:39 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 05, 2016, 11:04:14 PM

Sorry this is a discussion board where you with your 8000 odd posts are frequently subjecting other readers to your views, and you tell me to mind my own f**king business, you couldn't make it up.  So why don't you f**k off if you don't want to discuss.   ;)

Here Laoislad, are you gonna let him away with that???? [sits back to enjoy the show]