The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Wales are fucked... wooden spoon contenders at this stage at least Italy showed something earlier.

JPGJOHNNYG

Italy were good but they are so frustrating to watch. Should have won earlier.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on February 03, 2024, 05:36:30 PMWales are fucked... wooden spoon contenders at this stage at least Italy showed something earlier.
Looks like they got the hairdryer from Gats at halftime.

screenexile

Can't find the delete button for above 😳

Hon Wales!!

Tony Baloney

Dag Dog

Scotland and Wales are both useless though!

JPGJOHNNYG

Incredible stuff. Scotland all over the place. No Scot with the sense to slow it all down after that first Welsh try.

JPGJOHNNYG

That's why Conor Murray is so good at the end of the game has a great ability to grind down the clock

thewobbler

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 03, 2024, 03:56:54 PMHe only improve,  takes 2 years to bed in at this level.Some great kicks from the side after missing an absolute sitter.

2 years, huh? To play in the same position he's played in his whole life?

You're mad in the head.

———

Players over 30 years of age in each team's matchday 23 this weekend-

Ireland: 13
France: 8
Scotland: 7
England: 7
Italy: 3
Wales: 1

Everyone else has started planning their 4 year cycle.

Not Ireland though.

Let's make the same mistake every four years forever.

———

johnnycool

Quote from: thewobbler on February 04, 2024, 12:15:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 03, 2024, 03:56:54 PMHe only improve,  takes 2 years to bed in at this level.Some great kicks from the side after missing an absolute sitter.

You're mad in the head.

———

Not Ireland though.

———

I was about to say something similar.

The win on Friday night was good (but not great) and we'll maybe pick up another Grand slam which there aren't too many of them for Ireland but how many of those lads will be there for the WC in 2027?

I'm OK with that at the minute, but there needs to be more young lads exposed to this level of rugby this season and in the coming seasons to ensure they're well bedded in in time for the next WC.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 05, 2024, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 04, 2024, 12:15:44 PM

You're mad in the head.

———

Not Ireland though.

———

I was about to say something similar.

The win on Friday night was good (but not great) and we'll maybe pick up another Grand slam which there aren't too many of them for Ireland but how many of those lads will be there for the WC in 2027?

I'm OK with that at the minute, but there needs to be more young lads exposed to this level of rugby this season and in the coming seasons to ensure they're well bedded in in time for the next WC.

Ireland have only won 4, well off France with 10, Wales have 12 and England 13.. Let them win a few of those. This World cup was Irelands best shot with a good squad, but failed in a tight game. There was no shame losing that game to New Zealand

The Six Nations is a decent standard of competition, winning is a good habit to get into
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

5times5times

This 4 years malarkey grinds my gears... How the F does it take a professional rugby player this long to "acclimatize" to RWC-type-rugby?

gallsman

Quote from: 5times5times on February 05, 2024, 12:59:35 PMThis 4 years malarkey grinds my gears... How the F does it take a professional rugby player this long to "acclimatize" to RWC-type-rugby?

It doesn't. Think Farrell knows exactly what he's doing. Better to maintain a standard and keep winning, while introducing newer, younger players gradually than throw everything in the bin the day after a world cup exit. A bad 6N can set you back quite a bit. Look at all the moaning about Farrell in 2020. Then look at the squad for that tournament versus what went to the WC.

There's plenty of work going on undoubtedly in the background. Look at Prendergast being brought in to train anyway, even if he's not ready yet. The real buildup doesn't start until after the Lions.

Gael80

Quote from: 5times5times on February 05, 2024, 12:59:35 PMThis 4 years malarkey grinds my gears... How the F does it take a professional rugby player this long to "acclimatize" to RWC-type-rugby?

It is a bizarre system. France don't look focused and it'll be interesting to see their results throughout the tournament. England, I believe had seven uncapped players brought into their squad and Farrell is already gone.

The 6 nations is a great tournament though and the IRFU benefit commercially from Ireland's success.

Wildweasel74

New Zealand put together a team in less than 18months.