Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

Quote from: rosnarun on April 09, 2018, 04:02:39 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 09, 2018, 12:48:29 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on April 09, 2018, 10:37:48 AM
the reason most Gaa people don't like Joe brolly is that he is a class one bollix. Always willing to put in his glib one liner looking for a headline  at the expense of anyone or anything . and then come back with a slimy retortor apology  in private  like the Marty apology or  'what are you getting  excited for were only having the Crack'
he came across on the late late show as being desperate for some one to pay attention to him and love him he reminded me  of a young lad who keeps betting picked last for teams even though hes the best player there . people would prefer to lose without him than win with him.
what he does outside football is of no interest to me and could open up 10 homeless shelters and save have of Norn iron by his hard work on transplants while curing cerebral palsy before lunch ,
if you start going down that road and reading details about private live next all their separations divorces, kids communions will be fair game.
if any of the above seems nasty sur were only having a bit of crack

Did he do something on you?

If you actually take him seriously I can understand where you are coming from sometimes as Brolly does often play to the gallery for reaction and can get a bit too personal with some of his criticism. However he can also be very entertaining, is a very clever man and can see through bullshit. Whatever your opinion of him as a GAA pundit, he has done some outstanding work for organ donors and CF. 

I have no intrest in he Charity work or private Life we all do what we can .
its his Say anything for a reaction on the National Broadcaster which has made the sunday game the equivalent of the Daily Mail that I have a problem with . It is now unwatchable .
at least Spillane and O rourke Were important figure winning multiple all Ireland and not just a lucky to be there corner forward whose sole reason for being on telly is to provoke a reaction. my reaction is normally to fast forward or turn off.
its only when he comes on mainstream TV claiming sainthood and hoping to be 'Forced' in to running for the ARAS he need to be called  out for the  sycophant that he is
[/quo

I'd sooner have a pint with Joe than you any day

longballin

the reason most Gaa people don't like Joe brolly is that he is a class one bollix. Always willing to put in his glib one liner looking for a headline  at the expense of anyone or anything . and then come back with a slimy retortor apology  in private  like the Marty apology or  'what are you getting  excited for were only having the Crack'
he came across on the late late show as being desperate for some one to pay attention to him and love him he reminded me  of a young lad who keeps betting picked last for teams even though hes the best player there . people would prefer to lose without him than win with him.
what he does outside football is of no interest to me and could open up 10 homeless shelters and save have of Norn iron by his hard work on transplants while curing cerebral palsy before lunch ,
if you start going down that road and reading details about private live next all their separations divorces, kids communions will be fair game.

If you actually take him seriously I can understand where you are coming from sometimes as Brolly does often play to the gallery for reaction and can get a bit too personal with some of his criticism. However he can also be very entertaining, is a very clever man and can see through bullshit. Whatever your opinion of him as a GAA pundit, he has done some outstanding work for organ donors and CF. 

its his Say anything for a reaction on the National Broadcaster which has made the sunday game the equivalent of the Daily Mail that I have a problem with . It is now unwatchable .
at least Spillane and O rourke Were important figure winning multiple all Ireland and not just a lucky to be there corner forward whose sole reason for being on telly is to provoke a reaction. my reaction is normally to fast forward or turn off.
its only when he comes on mainstream TV claiming sainthood and hoping to be 'Forced' in to running for the ARAS he need to be called  out for the  sycophant that he is

you dont sound like a happy camper - are you sure this rage is about all about Joe? Chill man

yellowcard

You just need to take him far less seriously. There is a mute button on the tv and it might be recommended. He can be a divisive character but never boring and I'm glad he is on the media because he does more than most to hold authorities to account. If something has to be said he will say it and I'd rather a pundit with an opinion than some of the dull bland analysts.

As for the assertion that his opinion has no value because he only won one AI that is simply nonsense argument. The number of AI titles he won has no impact on his ability to perform a role as a TV pundit.

Targetman

There's no disputing he likes the limelight but behind it all I think he's a fair judge when it comes to football, don't be too harsh on him or we'll have Tommy Carr back on the TV!!

trileacman

I used to like Joe's stuff because there's an honesty and passion about it but the columns have become increasingly stale lately. He's generally just rehashing the same old argument and joke over and over again. I've definitely seen him put that Mastermind joke in a piece at least twice before.

There's just very poor GAA journalism out there when you compare it to the likes of what you see as regards soccer, rugby and golf. Especially from former players who all too seamlessly fall into yerra, yerra talk after 2-3 years. Harrington's analysis of golf is fantastic, BOD and ROG give insightful views on rugby and the soccer lads are a small bit better than the GAA heads.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Targetman on April 09, 2018, 06:28:08 PM
There's no disputing he likes the limelight but behind it all I think he's a fair judge when it comes to football, don't be too harsh on him or we'll have Tommy Carr back on the TV!!
Read some of his recent articles he hasn't got a clue about the defensive side of things when it comes to football. He doesn't understand that a structure/system to a defence is a requirement for the majority of teams to make any progress but he waffles on like he knows what he is talking about.

red hander

Nail on the head

sid waddell

I divide my view of Brolly into two parts. He has very interesting things to say about society, and what he says is generally on the mark, even if he is generally short on solutions to the problems he mentions, the organ donation issue apart.

In terms of what he has to say about the GAA it has become very tedious. At his best he is a storyteller and a wordsmith, not a proper analyst. The problem with being a storyteller is even the best ones eventually run out of stories to tell, so they have to resort to making them up and being a full on controversialist.

His columns were great value and essential reading for a number of years, but no longer. That he used to write good columns only magnifies that he has run out of interesting things to say about the GAA, and now comes across as little more than a luddite.

Colm O'Rourke on the same page doesn't have that problem, as his columns have never had very much of interest to say.

Derry are in Division 4 precisely because of attitudes like Brolly's. Admitting and addressing that reality might make the basis of an interesting column for him.

Unlaoised

I like Brolly and even tho ye are right he is gone a little stale and he hates Laois(even when we were decent) the world would be a lot less interesting with out him!
LAOIS ABÚ

rosnarun

Quote from: yellowcard on April 09, 2018, 05:40:59 PM

You just need to take him far less seriously. There is a mute button on the tv and it might be recommended. He can be a divisive character but never boring and I'm glad he is on the media because he does more than most to hold authorities to account. If something has to be said he will say it and I'd rather a pundit with an opinion than some of the dull bland analysts.

As for the assertion that his opinion has no value because he only won one AI that is simply nonsense argument. The number of AI titles he won has no impact on his ability to perform a role as a TV pundit.

are you joe brolly ? because that exactly the kind of mealy mouthed reply id expect from him,
surely the whole point of a Gaa discussion board is where people take all matters GAA far too seriously
as for the number of all-Irelands  when  you have 8 all-ireland's and none all stars and several player of the year trophies your entitled to a fools pardon  , Brolly is owed no such Privileges .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

Quote from: sid waddell on April 09, 2018, 09:42:39 PM
I divide my view of Brolly into two parts. He has very interesting things to say about society, and what he says is generally on the mark, even if he is generally short on solutions to the problems he mentions, the organ donation issue apart.

In terms of what he has to say about the GAA it has become very tedious. At his best he is a storyteller and a wordsmith, not a proper analyst. The problem with being a storyteller is even the best ones eventually run out of stories to tell, so they have to resort to making them up and being a full on controversialist.

His columns were great value and essential reading for a number of years, but no longer. That he used to write good columns only magnifies that he has run out of interesting things to say about the GAA, and now comes across as little more than a luddite.

Colm O'Rourke on the same page doesn't have that problem, as his columns have never had very much of interest to say.

Derry are in Division 4 precisely because of attitudes like Brolly's. Admitting and addressing that reality might make the basis of an interesting column for him.

Sit down and be quiet, Sid.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Seany

I heard that he had taken the homeless man in.  I was just interested to know how long it was going to be before he told everybody about it.  Same as the giving of the kidney.  People do that every day.  He wrote about it, did about fifteen newspaper and TV interviews about it, and three documentaries.  OK Joe - you have a charitable side.  We all know about it now.  Just leave us alone.

Orchard park

Quote from: Seany on April 10, 2018, 11:46:53 AM
I heard that he had taken the homeless man in.  I was just interested to know how long it was going to be before he told everybody about it.  Same as the giving of the kidney.  People do that every day.  He wrote about it, did about fifteen newspaper and TV interviews about it, and three documentaries.  OK Joe - you have a charitable side.  We all know about it now.  Just leave us alone.

have you heard of somebody being a living donor to a non family member before ? Much less every day

seafoid

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 10, 2018, 09:59:25 AM
I like Brolly and even tho ye are right he is gone a little stale and he hates Laois(even when we were decent) the world would be a lot less interesting with out him!
Only a mother could love Laois.
Even Darina left.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

If I'm honest, I do feel there is an element of narcissism in what Joe does, but so many good & positive things have resulted from it (specifically re organ donation) that it would be a bit petty to use that as a stick to beat him with.
In terms of the homeless chap, I think the take home message there is if people who are down on their luck can get some sort of a foot hold in society, they can significantly improve their lot.
In fairness to Joe, he gave the lad a roof over his head and a bit of security and it sounds like he is doing well as a direct result of that.
Like I said though, it's not a zero sum game, so if he could just stop being so liberal with the 'facts' when he's talking about GAA matters...

If you were any use you'd be playing.