Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedHand88

Quote from: screenexile on October 15, 2018, 04:19:40 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 15, 2018, 04:06:22 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2018, 03:37:35 PM
I also think Brolly is spot on regarding UFC. Its basically a bloodsport

You look at the later fights and you can see where the blood has soaked into the mat from previous fights. As far as I can see there really are no rules.

Dana White is a joke with his crocodile tears in the press conference talking about the post fight fiasco.

Dana White's quote a few days later "The pay-per-view numbers are starting to roll in, so I'm in a much better mood than I was on Saturday,"

I expect him to organise a rematch and use the post fight scenes as part of the build up to sell more pay per views. It's all about the money for him/organisation and anything goes as long as it pull in the $$$s

I care little for UFC, but when someone is calling for it to be banned in a national newspaper when he doesn't even ban it in his own home for his 13 your old son and a group of his mates then his argument becomes a little weak.

"This sport is awful, disgusting shouldn't be allowed and is a bad influence on the young ones."

"Dad, can I invite my mates round, stay up all night and watch a violent, rabid sport that you want banned?"

"Yeah, no bother son, make sure and wake me up when it starts".

Hang on did the article come out before or after he watched the fight??

I know you're from Tyrone and you hate Brolly but at least have a legitimate reason for it!

Thought this myself. What's to say he didn't form an opinion of it based on what he saw that night and would not let the cub watch it in future?

GalwayBayBoy

Bit harsh on the Ulster Football Championship.

oakleaflad

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 15, 2018, 04:35:30 PM

Bit harsh on the Ulster Football Championship.
;D

BennyHarp

Quote from: screenexile on October 15, 2018, 04:19:40 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on October 15, 2018, 04:06:22 PM

You look at the later fights and you can see where the blood has soaked into the mat from previous fights. As far as I can see there really are no rules.

Dana White is a joke with his crocodile tears in the press conference talking about the post fight fiasco.

Dana White's quote a few days later "The pay-per-view numbers are starting to roll in, so I'm in a much better mood than I was on Saturday,"

I expect him to organise a rematch and use the post fight scenes as part of the build up to sell more pay per views. It's all about the money for him/organisation and anything goes as long as it pull in the $$$s

I care little for UFC, but when someone is calling for it to be banned in a national newspaper when he doesn't even ban it in his own home for his 13 your old son and a group of his mates then his argument becomes a little weak.

"This sport is awful, disgusting shouldn't be allowed and is a bad influence on the young ones."

"Dad, can I invite my mates round, stay up all night and watch a violent, rabid sport that you want banned?"

"Yeah, no bother son, make sure and wake me up when it starts".

Hang on did the article come out before or after he watched the fight??

I know you're from Tyrone and you hate Brolly but at least have a legitimate reason for it!

Ah right, so he had no clue whatsoever about what MMA was all about before last Saturday night? Even though he's referenced the Portuguese kid dying and McGregor's behaviour in a pretty damning article posted a few pages back from 2016?

I know you're from Derry but you don't have to agree with everything Joe says.
That was never a square ball!!

dublin7

I got the impression it was the 1sf time he seen it and didn't realise what it was like. God forbid be then does some research before writing the piece

dublin7

Quote from: hardstation on October 15, 2018, 07:12:25 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2018, 07:03:20 PM
I got the impression it was the 1sf time he seen it and didn't realise what it was like. God forbid be then does some research before writing the piece
As stated, this is his 2nd article calling for it to be banned. The 1st was 2 and a half years ago.

It's a pity it didn't happen. To think there was talk of awarding the freedom of the city to Conor McGregor. It seems there is nothing you can't say or do to promote a fight as long it brings in the Pay per views

trileacman

I hate McGregor but I'd venture that MMA is probably safer than pro boxing in the fact that fights are more likely to end in submission, rounds are fewer and there are less occasions of punch drunk fighters bludgening the last remaining sentience out of each other.

Just my opinion. I'd ban MMA because I hate mcgergor and white but the "think of the children" brigade are long in contradicting themselves. Brolly in particular has written many glowing pieces in which he revels in past incidents of everyone-in GAA brawls. Likewise people fondly recall the "99 call" culture in rugby with a rose-tinted zeal whilst the roundly condemning the recent spate of rows, brawls and injuries in GAA as thuggery.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on October 15, 2018, 07:22:25 PM
As stated, this is his 2nd article calling for it to be banned. The 1st was 2 and a half years ago.

It's a pity it didn't happen. To think there was talk of awarding the freedom of the city to Conor McGregor. It seems there is nothing you can't say or do to promote a fight as long it brings in the Pay per views

That's not just limited to MMA tho

The Gs Man

I think Joe had noticed his GAA Board topic page count had stagnated at around 295 or so.  Next thing he's blasting out an incoherent and somewhat factually incorrect rant about MMA, or as he calls it "UFC".

300 pages in no time!  Good man Joe!   8)
Keep 'er lit

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 16, 2018, 09:00:38 AM

True, but the stuff McGregor comes out with is outrageous and frankly family/religion/race of his opponents are areas he seems to take particular enjoyment in insulting. Also using footage of him throwing stuff at the bus previously to promote the fight was ridiculous. That was something you would expect from the WWE, except all their story lines are scripted and not real life!

Orchard park

Quote from: dublin7 on October 16, 2018, 10:50:20 AM

True, but the stuff McGregor comes out with is outrageous and frankly family/religion/race of his opponents are areas he seems to take particular enjoyment in insulting. Also using footage of him throwing stuff at the bus previously to promote the fight was ridiculous. That was something you would expect from the WWE, except all their story lines are scripted and not real life!

Is this UFC  really real life. To me it's as scripted as WWE ever was with pretty predictabe results

tonto1888

He is a different character altogether . But look at boxing. Didn't Tyson threaten to eat Lewis' kids. Haye with a tshirt if him holding the devapitated heads of the Klitschko brothers. They just want to sell fights and they stoop to very low levels to do so

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 16, 2018, 11:36:17 AM

He is a different character altogether . But look at boxing. Didn't Tyson threaten to eat Lewis' kids. Haye with a tshirt if him holding the devapitated heads of the Klitschko brothers. They just want to sell fights and they stoop to very low levels to do so

When you're comparing the standards/behaviour in your sport to boxing for integrity and basic human decency then frankly you've already lost your argument

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on October 16, 2018, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 16, 2018, 11:36:17 AM

When you're comparing the standards/behaviour in your sport to boxing for integrity and basic human decency then frankly you've already lost your argument

Where did I compare the standards and behaviours of Gaelic football to boxing? I'm not really an MMA fan. Or a boxing fan either. When you start making assumptions about someone you've lost your argument

dublin7

I pointed out MMA has no standard it won't go below. You equated it to Tyson's antics in boxing. I agree it's nothing to do with Gaelic Football and I never said it was. You somehow went down that tangent.

Although one thing GAA and UFC has in common is the fact athletes in both sports refuse to accept responsibility for their actions