We need to talk about Stephen Cluxton

Started by highorlow, July 16, 2017, 07:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gael85

Quote from: TheGreatest on July 19, 2017, 08:20:50 AM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 18, 2017, 09:43:53 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 17, 2017, 04:50:35 PM
What was so good about John O'Leary? I remember him being there forever but I don't recall any greatness.

He did win 5 All-Star awards.

Yeah exactly the same as Cluxton, also won 8 Leinsters, 2 all Irelands and 3 leagues, but that doesn't matter to people who hate all things Dublin and can never give credit. O Leary was one the best.

Dublin have had 4 championship keepers since 74, Cluxton, O Leary and Cullen and a bonus point for the odd one out?

Mick Kennedy played a couple championship games in goal and Brian Murphy played against Armagh 03 and Westmeath 04 when Cluxton was sent off.

Il Bomber Destro

It's hilarious that Borgan hails Cluxton for being emotionless.

Was he emotionless when he had a meltdown against Kerry last year and chucked 2 goals away in a minute or two?

Was he emotionless when he had a meltdown in the closing stages of the drawn semi with Mayo in 2015?

Was he emotionless when he got himself sent off in a incident with Paddy McKeever in a Championship game with Armagh and Dublin exited?

Was he emotionless when he got himself sent off against Mayo for kicking out at Kevin McLoughlin in a league game.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 19, 2017, 12:23:03 PM

Was he emotionless when he had a meltdown against Kerry last year and chucked 2 goals away in a minute or two?

Was he emotionless when he had a meltdown in the closing stages of the drawn semi with Mayo in 2015?

Was he emotionless when he got himself sent off in a incident with Paddy McKeever in a Championship game with Armagh and Dublin exited?

Was he emotionless when he got himself sent off against Mayo for kicking out at Kevin McLoughlin in a league game.

So we can demonstrate that Stephen is human. But he is also the most influential goalkeeper that I have ever seen.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Syferus

Backed by the most expensively assembled group of players the GAA has ever seen..

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2017, 01:38:27 PM
Backed by the most expensively assembled group of players the GAA has ever seen..

Good one. Original

Cluxton not only the best keeper of all time, possibly the greatest player of all time. Hopefully does the business this year and then retires.

dublin7

It shows how good he is that you have to back to an incident which was nearly a decade ago!!!

In the 2nd half of the Kerry game Cluxton was brilliant and picked out Dublin players with ease. No one said he was perfect. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally. How many times was Tomas O'Se sent off for Kerry for example, but he can be considered one of the greats I feel sorry for you that your bitterness doesn't allow you to accept how good he is.

Syferus

Quote from: dublin7 on July 19, 2017, 06:31:44 PM

It shows how good he is that you have to back to an incident which was nearly a decade ago!!!

In the 2nd half of the Kerry game Cluxton was brilliant and picked out Dublin players with ease. No one said he was perfect. Everyone makes mistakes occasionally. How many times was Tomas O'Se sent off for Kerry for example, but he can be considered one of the greats I feel sorry for you that your bitterness doesn't allow you to accept how good he is.

Everyone accepts Dublin is good, great even. The reason why they are is what troubles anyone with love for the sport.

dublin7

Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2017, 06:48:15 PM

Everyone accepts Dublin is good, great even. The reason why they are is what troubles anyone with love for the sport.

This thread is about Stephen Cluxton as a player and his consistency over the last 15 years (not the Dublin team)

Wildweasel74

O'leary was a very good keeper; am suprised people questioning how good he was! Goalkeepers roles have changed alot past 10yrs! I always though the best of the ole keepers was Martin Furlong Offaly

Syferus

Quote from: dublin7 on July 19, 2017, 07:13:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 19, 2017, 06:48:15 PM

This thread is about Stephen Cluxton as a player and his consistency over the last 15 years (not the Dublin team)

Show me a keeper who can be great without a good team around him and I'll show you a liar. Of all the positions on the field it is the one that needs the most co-operation from other lines.

Who Cluxton has played with and the system of money doping he has benefited from will forever be linked with his success. No amount of platitudes will ever change that simple fact.

My only hope is we will look back on the madness of the current era in ten or twenty years time with a sense of what-fùck-were-they-thinking and that the great imbalance will not be allowed to continue.

Il Bomber Destro

No, I'm referencing key moments where Cluxton was not the emotionless guy Brogan portrays him as.

2 of them happened in the last two seasons in the 5 or 6 serious games Dublin played in that time.

dublin7

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on July 19, 2017, 09:10:51 PM

No, I'm referencing key moments where Cluxton was not the emotionless guy Brogan portrays him as.

2 of them happened in the last two seasons in the 5 or 6 serious games Dublin played in that time.

You forget/chose to ignore the fact he regained his composure in the Kerry game. He's not a robot!!!

tonto1888

I also think Brogan was referring to the Morgan incident and you don't see Cluxton get involved in that type of thing

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 20, 2017, 08:19:58 AM

I also think Brogan was referring to the Morgan incident and you don't see Cluxton get involved in that type of thing

He said Brogan doesn't get involved in things like that as he is emotionless.

That's utterly false as he is very easy to rattle. Brogan must have a short memory.

magpie seanie

Have opponents ever gameplanned for a goalkeeper prior to Cluxton? I doubt it. He has revolutionised the position. At times he has been human but he has had a wonderful career of consistently high performance. His importance to Dublin shouldn't be underestimated. The two goals Donegal got in 2012 against them felt like 5 because there was almost an aura building up at the time that this man couldn't be beaten.