Wood Burning Stove

Started by nrico2006, March 15, 2013, 04:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 19, 2013, 04:13:18 PM
I like the sound of your method Baloney but why such an emphasis on lining the chimney etc and at thon cost.  Don't want a delboy job.

A pellet stove is the way to go brilliant altogether and very cheap to run.

I don't have one, wish I did but a mate does that lives over here and they are fantastic and economical.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

give her dixie

My brother in law has been selling stoves for a good few years now in Cookstown, and if anyone wants any help or advice, drop me a pm and I will send you on his number.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Tony Baloney

I like the sound of your method Baloney but why such an emphasis on lining the chimney etc and at thon cost.  Don't want a delboy job.
Lining is advisable but not mandatory as it will help the chimney draw better and of there are any leaks in the chimney will prevent you getting poisoned!

http://www.ukstoves.co.uk/technical-information

What exactly is being supplied in terms of material and labour for the quoted figure? Is there any construction work involved i.e. making the recess bigger, brickwork etc? If it is simply to pull the existing fire out and put a new stove in place with a chimney liner then he is taking the hand.

nrico2006

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2013, 08:46:16 PM
Lining is advisable but not mandatory as it will help the chimney draw better and of there are any leaks in the chimney will prevent you getting poisoned!

http://www.ukstoves.co.uk/technical-information

What exactly is being supplied in terms of material and labour for the quoted figure? Is there any construction work involved i.e. making the recess bigger, brickwork etc? If it is simply to pull the existing fire out and put a new stove in place with a chimney liner then he is taking the hand.

Pulling the old fireplace out, using metal surround instead of brick, putting stove in and connecting it to the chimney.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

NP 76

I went looking recently about a stove also and was told by numerous people to stay away from the Stanley ones as they are now being produced in China and not of the same quality as the older ones. I was advised to go for an Innis one which are made in Galway and are a steel construction or a Douvre which are scandivian and are cast iron . The brother has an Innis one in for 2 - 3 years and never had a bother with it also 5 year warranty with them and parts are easy to get also

clarshack

Quote from: NP 76 on March 20, 2013, 11:12:06 AM
I went looking recently about a stove also and was told by numerous people to stay away from the Stanley ones as they are now being produced in China and not of the same quality as the older ones. I was advised to go for an Innis one which are made in Galway and are a steel construction or a Douvre which are scandivian and are cast iron . The brother has an Innis one in for 2 - 3 years and never had a bother with it also 5 year warranty with them and parts are easy to get also

when did they start to be produced in china? my house was built in 2009 and a stanley was put in at the time.

NP 76

i dont know thats what i was told about them but then again thats maybe only the opinion of the people who were telling me

johnneycool

I've a charnwood Island 3B and its the spotty dog, but I've noticed the rope for sealing the doors is coming away and need replaced. Is that something you can do yourself or better to get someone to service it?

nrico2006

Anybody recommend someone to install one?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

johnneycool

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2013, 12:16:37 PM

My builders put it in place and sealed up round the flue, and the plumber did the rest as it had a back boiler.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on March 20, 2013, 12:06:39 PM
I've a charnwood Island 3B and its the spotty dog, but I've noticed the rope for sealing the doors is coming away and need replaced. Is that something you can do yourself or better to get someone to service it?
I got spare rope with mine so assume it is a DIY job (although my stove is Morso).

Not putting in a back-boiler on the stove is the most idiotic thing I did in our house.

Stop hijacking this thread.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2013, 01:18:55 PM
I got spare rope with mine so assume it is a DIY job (although my stove is Morso).

Not putting in a back-boiler on the stove is the most idiotic thing I did in our house.

Did you get anything to stick it in place or does it jam in the doors recess?

give her dixie

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on March 20, 2013, 01:52:46 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2013, 01:18:55 PM

Did you get anything to stick it in place or does it jam in the doors recess?
I haven't replaced it yet but will have to check it. Wee slather of fire cement is recommended, I might even have got a wee tube of it but I'm sure it is as hard as the road now.

balladmaker

Got a price today from Portadown Fireplaces for a Vitrus flue, flexi flue, adapters for bottom and top, stainless steel flue for through the roof ... £700 materials alone.  Think they are taking the piss!?