Home Heating

Started by nrico2006, December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Does anyone know how the most efficeint way to use the oil to heat the house?  As it is a wee bit cold these evenings, is it better to keep your heating on for say 3/4 hours in the evening and hope that the thermostat works well and your oil is not constantly being used during that period once your house reaches the designated temperature or is it better to put the oil on for an hour here and there?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Bogball XV

what about an extra coat?

balladmaker

Get underfloor heating in, the business  ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 03, 2010, 10:52:16 AM
Does anyone know how the most efficeint way to use the oil to heat the house?  As it is a wee bit cold these evenings, is it better to keep your heating on for say 3/4 hours in the evening and hope that the thermostat works well and your oil is not constantly being used during that period once your house reaches the designated temperature or is it better to put the oil on for an hour here and there?
Don't be a miserable hoor. These cold snaps only last a few weeks a year so burn whatever oil you need to keep the place warm as you'll not use any between April and October.

Any heating system is only as good as your insulation. If the house has poor enough insulation the heat will disappear shortly after you turning it off even if it has been on for 4 hours.

Quote from: balladmaker on December 03, 2010, 11:33:19 AM
Get underfloor heating in, the business  ;D
How long you keep yours on for in this weather? I'm definitely putting it on more often but has the obvious advantage of generating heat after the burner has stopped. The fire is a good addition too!

Olly

Too many people now turn to oil, coal and other manmade heating sources instead of addressing the problem practically. Wear jumpers, thicker socks. TURN OFF THE TV and exercise. Clean the house from top to bottom. If you keep thinking that the results are twofold (you are cleaning the house as well as keeping warm and saving money) then it's a pleasure. Do star jumps in between your meal/tea. Even running on the spot for 3 minutes can warm you for an hour. Get the whole family to run on the spot in the same room and the heat is magnificent.

In other words, get up off your arse and stop watching TV and exercise. How do they live in Greenland?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Hardy

We just turn off the heat and go visiting neighbours. You don't always get to watch what you want on the telly and sometimes you have to put up with milky tea, but other than that it's grand.

illdecide

Dunno if it's true but i was told if you turned the thermostat down a degree or two and kept the heating on for 2-3 hours then it would burn less oil than constantly turning your heating on and off (boost) at a higher temp...

But short answer is I'm not sure...Olly has a point there ;) get up of your ass and beat some of them protestants up that live close by :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bingo

The non-nationals across the road seem to have abandoned the downstairs of the house and are camped out upstairs in the bedroom. No downstairs lights on all week and the upstairs bedroom has been in use every evening.

Maybe they applying Ollys way of thinking.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Bingo on December 03, 2010, 12:12:16 PM
The non-nationals across the road seem to have abandoned the downstairs of the house and are camped out upstairs in the bedroom. No downstairs lights on all week and the upstairs bedroom has been in use every evening.

You nosey, curtain-twitching hoor!

Bingo

Quote from: Doogie Browser on December 03, 2010, 12:24:20 PM

My house is directly facing them and you don't have to go out of your way to notice these things, in these times you have to keep an eye on your nieghbours!!

EC Unique

thebandit

Quote from: Bingo on December 03, 2010, 12:42:08 PM

I hadn't noticed that  :D

Did you see the foreign lad battering his car the other morning? He was cursing the back wheel drive!

My house is directly facing them and you don't have to go out of your way to notice these things, in these times you have to keep an eye on your nieghbours!!

snoopdog

Quote from: thebandit on December 03, 2010, 12:56:32 PM

Did you see the foreign lad battering his car the other morning? He was cursing the back wheel drive!

Once you have the house at the temp you want turn the boiler down to its lowest or second lowest setting this will reduce the oil usage but keep some warmth in the house. it will still use oil but nowhere near as much as your full blast.
Im doing it with the gas at the moment. toasty

maco

The heating in my house is on 24 hours a day, but the thermostat is set fairly low at around 15-17 degrees. Keeps the house at a nice temperature all the time. We also have a stove lit in the living room which is the room we use most, and it gives out a lot of heat if a couple of lumps of coal are put in it. As far as I can see, our oil lasts slightly longer that it would if I was putting the heat on for shorter blasts at a higher setting on the thermostat.

Bingo

Quote from: thebandit on December 03, 2010, 12:56:32 PM

You'll notice it this evening!

Never seen him but you see your man the other side of me "parking" his car? He puts boot down past us and puts it into spin to face opposite direction and then calmy parks it on kerb, everytime he does it i can see him going into the wall!