Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mup

Rumours that Kildare CB are refusing to move game to Croke Park.

Jinxy

I'd be pleasantly surprised but amazed if that was true.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ohtoohtobe

If you start out a competition with certain rules you have to stick to them. And the rules of this competition are that the first drawn team in this round play at home, unless they're a Div1/2 county playing a Div 3/4 county.
You can't change the rules because you want to make more cash.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 01:10:43 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on June 25, 2018, 12:23:57 PM
Kildare seem to have found a bit of form by digging out two good wins on the road against Derry & Longford. We could struggle against their midfield with Parsons and Seami O'Shea out for the season and we really only have Aidan, D O'Connor and Kirby as recognised midfielders fit at the moment.Coen or Keegan can fill in but neither are out and out midfielders! Our fullback line was poor at times against Tipp's big men inside so Kildare should look for some joy with direct ball in there. James Durcan and the form of Doherty & McLouglin will cause Kildare a goof few problems too so this might turn into a bit of a shoot out with a couple of points either way bound to decide this game! At this stage I would bite your hand off if offered a scrappy one point win with no suspensions or injuries!!!
Newbridge is a tight enough pitch but I don't think Kildare are too comfortable playing a very defensive gameplan and the talent they have is better with three or four left in the forwards but O'Neill knows us well and might deploy a Tyrone type counter attack game!!
I wonder is Jason Gibbons back in with the squad at the moment?

Kildare kept 3 sometimes 4 up against Longford, one of our problems is the two Cribben's who generally form the first line in defence can't tackle a wet paper bag. Good going forward, awful in defence. I studied very closely on Sat evening. They just bite in and are easily stepped aside, it's one of the reasons when teams run at us we are in trouble. They just need to go soft and keep the goal side of the ball.

So do Kildare have anyone designated to sweep in the fullback line or do they just drop in whoever is deepest? Do the Cribbens and the midfield and half backline meet the attacks at the 45 or a drop back zonally? We have a great running game when we break even in midfield but not so good if we are losing the battle there!!

Jinxy

Has there been an actual official announcement that the game is fixed for Croke Park?
If there has, how can that happen without the consent of the KCB?

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2018, 02:18:42 PM
I'd be pleasantly surprised but amazed if that was true.

I don't see a problem if they refuse to move to Croker, I now read Newbridge can hold 10000 so a 50/50 split will cover the Mayo season tickets with 1300 or so tickets for the clubs and Co Board. It would be a cracking atmosphere and didn't Kildare build new dressing rooms as well so the teams will be well looked after?

Tubberman

Tickets already on sale on tickets.ie for this, so will be a right mess if it get's switched!
On sale at €25 too, up from €10 in previous round.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Cunny Funt

Croke Park it is double header with Tyrone v Cavan. Mayo have a better recent record there than MacHale Park.

highorlow

Is there a spare park in newbridge where a big screen could be set up ? Like in the tennis .
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Syferus

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 25, 2018, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 02:06:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:56:30 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 01:51:50 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:47:19 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 01:42:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 01:40:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2018, 01:39:12 PM
This is, to all intents and purposes, a home game for Mayo now.
The Kildare county board deserve an almighty kick up the hole.

They brought it on themselves by relying on Croke Park as a quasi-home ground for years and leaving Newbridge to rot. Very easy decision for HQ to make when Newbridge wasn't fit for purpose.

f**k up clown, no more a shit hole that Hyde Park.

The Hyde even in its current state can host 18,800, some 12,000 more than Newbridge can. We could accommodate season ticket holders very easily for this sort of game.

It's rotten you've lost home advantage but how long did you really think you could get away with such a tiny home ground for without this happening? Ye built a fancy CoE in Hawkfield in recent years so you made your own bed on this front.

Someday you are going fall off that horse and break your neck. And nobody will be there to pick you up. Btw that just makes Hyde park a 18800 capacity shit-hole, and with the amount of shit you spew it's still not big enough.

There's not much of a height to fall from when you're right.

It hosted a senior provincial final eight days ago. When's the last one Kildare hosted? You seem irrationally angry about this as if it's a total injustice - the reality is Kildare's planning and reliance on Croke Park as a home venue for years is at the root of this decision.

If the likes of Roscommon or Cavan or Monaghan with tiny populations can have grounds capable of hosting 20k crowds what excuse does one of the richest regions in Ireland have for having a glorified club ground as its home?

Kildare basically made the bet that their money was better spent elsewhere, well this is the downside of that decision.

f**k off! Even in England non-league sides get to play in their small grounds against the EPL giants, that is fairness, that is what sport is suppose to be. Can you not get your head around that?

There's more season ticket holders than there is capacity in Newbridge. Mayo probably have the highest number of them outside of Dubs. Do you just plan on telling some of them to feck off, even though the conditions of their season ticket guarantee a ticket for sought-after championship matches?

If you were upset that this wasn't in Tullamore I could understand it more, but you clearly wanted it in Newbridge. That was never a runner.

I'll bite so.

The ground is certified for over 10,000. That ridiculous 6,000 restriction was lifted after remedial works (new crush barriers on the Barracks Terrace & improvements to the access points) about four years ago. There are not over 10,000 season ticket holders to be accommodated between both counties.

Ok so - that changes things. Nothing I found on Google mentioned a 10,000 capacity, only the 6,200 capacity. There were articles about planning for an expansion to around 15,000 from last year however.

How many matches has Newbridge hosted with over 6,200 people in attendance in the last seven years?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 25, 2018, 02:21:44 PM
Kildare seem to have found a bit of form by digging out two good wins on the road against Derry & Longford. We could struggle against their midfield with Parsons and Seami O'Shea out for the season and we really only have Aidan, D O'Connor and Kirby as recognised midfielders fit at the moment.Coen or Keegan can fill in but neither are out and out midfielders! Our fullback line was poor at times against Tipp's big men inside so Kildare should look for some joy with direct ball in there. James Durcan and the form of Doherty & McLouglin will cause Kildare a goof few problems too so this might turn into a bit of a shoot out with a couple of points either way bound to decide this game! At this stage I would bite your hand off if offered a scrappy one point win with no suspensions or injuries!!!
Newbridge is a tight enough pitch but I don't think Kildare are too comfortable playing a very defensive gameplan and the talent they have is better with three or four left in the forwards but O'Neill knows us well and might deploy a Tyrone type counter attack game!!

Kildare kept 3 sometimes 4 up against Longford, one of our problems is the two Cribben's who generally form the first line in defence can't tackle a wet paper bag. Good going forward, awful in defence. I studied very closely on Sat evening. They just bite in and are easily stepped aside, it's one of the reasons when teams run at us we are in trouble. They just need to go soft and keep the goal side of the ball.

So do Kildare have anyone designated to sweep in the fullback line or do they just drop in whoever is deepest? Do the Cribbens and the midfield and half backline meet the attacks at the 45 or a drop back zonally? We ave a great running game when we break even in midfield but not so good if we are losing the battle there!!

Eoin Doyle drops back to sweep and he's useless at it to be honest. We have a very poor mentality when it comes to defence. Midfield and the 2 half-forwards try to meet attacks between 45 and half-way and track, half-backs tuck in zonally. We leave plenty of space on the wings and just don't put enough pressure on shooters. Lots of shouts of "contact" from the coaches, we're just not getting a hand on the chest and when we do it's from the side and an easy free. Feeley will be the key, carrying a knock but the only midfielder last season to get the better of Fenton and the only Kildare player the opposition will put a plan in place for.
#newbridgeornowhere

Mac2

Real bad form this and you'd wonder did KCB have this sort of agreement already in place. Supporters kicked up a fuss about Mayo v Kerry replay in Limerick a few years back but the county board had already agreed to it well before then.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 02:27:37 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on June 25, 2018, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 02:06:07 PM
There's more season ticket holders than there is capacity in Newbridge. Mayo probably have the highest number of them outside of Dubs. Do you just plan on telling some of them to feck off, even though the conditions of their season ticket guarantee a ticket for sought-after championship matches?

If you were upset that this wasn't in Tullamore I could understand it more, but you clearly wanted it in Newbridge. That was never a runner.

I'll bite so.

The ground is certified for over 10,000. That ridiculous 6,000 restriction was lifted after remedial works (new crush barriers on the Barracks Terrace & improvements to the access points) about four years ago. There are not over 10,000 season ticket holders to be accommodated between both counties.

Ok so - that changes things. Nothing I found on Google mentioned a 10,000 capacity, only the 6,200 capacity. There were articles about planning for an expansion to around 15,000 from last year however.

2013:
https://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/louth-next-up-for-lilies-in-qualifiers-29386411.html

2018:
http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/31701-mayo-fans-urged-to-buy-tickets-in-advance

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 02:27:37 PM
How many matches has Newbridge hosted with over 6,200 people in attendance in the last seven years?

2013 against Tyrone and 2016 against Offaly. Mayo in the league in 2014 was a very big crowd. Dublin in two O'Byrne Cup games. All the Sarsfields/Moorefield county finals.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Quote from: Mac2 on June 25, 2018, 02:37:00 PM
Real bad form this and you'd wonder did KCB have this sort of agreement already in place. Supporters kicked up a fuss about Mayo v Kerry replay in Limerick a few years back but the county board had already agreed to it well before then.

To be fair, that game was moved from one neutral venue to another neutral venue.
Apples & oranges.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 02:29:34 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on June 25, 2018, 02:21:44 PM

So do Kildare have anyone designated to sweep in the fullback line or do they just drop in whoever is deepest? Do the Cribbens and the midfield and half backline meet the attacks at the 45 or a drop back zonally? We ave a great running game when we break even in midfield but not so good if we are losing the battle there!!

Eoin Doyle drops back to sweep and he's useless at it to be honest. We have a very poor mentality when it comes to defence. Midfield and the 2 half-forwards try to meet attacks between 45 and half-way and track, half-backs tuck in zonally. We leave plenty of space on the wings and just don't put enough pressure on shooters. Lots of shouts of "contact" from the coaches, we're just not getting a hand on the chest and when we do it's from the side and an easy free. Feeley will be the key, carrying a knock but the only midfielder last season to get the better of Fenton and the only Kildare player the opposition will put a plan in place for.

Jason Doherty and Kevin McLoughlin did alot of damage from the wings against Tipp and Lee Keegan loves to burst off the shoulder on either wing as well. Your extra man Doyle will have to work hard as that player that drops back is key to stopping Andy Moran. Against Kerry both days they didn't really have anyone dropping back in front of him and same with the Dubs which is why he did so much damage one on one. He is very clever with his runs and never stops moving at all during the game. James Durcan adds something we have lacked in the inside forwards and that is genuine pace!! THis all depends on us getting a decent return from midfield and while Diarmuid and Aidan should be fine for a hour, it is when the tire we might have nothing on the bench to replace them with!! Kildare could get alot of joy from the direct ball into your big athletic full forwards if you are on top in the middle.