Mayo v Dublin

Started by Northside Dub, March 27, 2007, 11:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northside Dub

Massive games this weekend for both teams! Dublin owe Mayo big time after the semi last year but we never seem to play well in Mayo. Id expect to see Whelan-Ryan in the middle and the casey back on the wing! Will be interesting to see if A Brogan makes it back after the scoring that has been done over the last 2 games without him!
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Declan

QuoteA Brogan makes it back

Doubtful I'd say - A couple of weeks away from what I hear.

Gnevin

Huge game am really looking forward to this one . After last time in CP and Castlebar am hoping to get one over on them
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

OirthearMhaigheo

pretty big game alright, if we win we will be looking good for the play-offs and if we lose the dubs will be right in the hunt for the semis aswell. I'd imagine Dublin will be slightly more up for it given what happened last August but at the same time its not the right time of year to gain full revenge. I'd expect a good game anyway, it's usually free-flowing between the 2 teams and if we sneak it by a couple of points I'll be happy. Once again our midfield will come under scrutiny with the first choice Stephenites missing, so more of the same from messrs Harte and Heaney please.

Northside Dub

Its always a good game between the 2 sides. I just hope Griff can keep a closer eye on mortimer this thime, he looked very sharp last week against cork! Is McDonald back playing yet?

Tubberman

Really looking forward to this.
I think the Dubs will be slightly more up for it though. Dublin should have the winning of midfield, seeing as both of our first choice pairing are unavailable.
We need the half backs and half forwards scrapping constantly for breaking ball in there.
C Mort is really on top of his game at the moment - hopefully he can keep it up. We're in  a bad way with injuries though. As well as the midfielders mentioned already, Alan Dillon, T Mort, Aidan Campbell and Marty Mc are all injured, not sure how many, if any, of them will be fit for Sunday (T Mort def won't, famous metatarsal broken).
Ciaran Mc is only back in light training, and is way off match fitness so we definitely won't see him on Sunday.
Should be a tight game, but I feel the Dubs out for revenge might take this one. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

OirthearMhaigheo

No, he 's still a bit off by all accounts, hasn't even made an appearance as a sub yet. The back is a really dodgy injury, its been bothering him since before the AIF and still hasn't been sorted which is a worry from our point of view. Mortimer-Griffin will be a good battle alright, Griffin is a very good man-marker and I think everyone was surprised by the run-around he got last August. I'd say he will be very keen to get a lot closer to Mort on Sunday and show he can handle him. Who is Full-forward for Dublin at the moment, still Keaney? either way it will be different test for our FB compared to that giant from Cork.

tayto

Quote from: Tubberman on March 27, 2007, 11:49:20 AM
Really looking forward to this.
I think the Dubs will be slightly more up for it though. Dublin should have the winning of midfield, seeing as both of our first choice pairing are unavailable.
We need the half backs and half forwards scrapping constantly for breaking ball in there.
C Mort is really on top of his game at the moment - hopefully he can keep it up. We're in  a bad way with injuries though. As well as the midfielders mentioned already, Alan Dillon, T Mort, Aidan Campbell and Marty Mc are all injured, not sure how many, if any, of them will be fit for Sunday (T Mort def won't, famous metatarsal broken).
Ciaran Mc is only back in light training, and is way off match fitness so we definitely won't see him on Sunday.
Should be a tight game, but I feel the Dubs out for revenge might take this one. 

Some definate logic to your post, mind you we've an awful record on the road in the west, so if i was putting money on it, i'd go for Mayo.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on March 27, 2007, 11:53:40 AM
No, he 's still a bit off by all accounts, hasn't even made an appearance as a sub yet. The back is a really dodgy injury, its been bothering him since before the AIF and still hasn't been sorted which is a worry from our point of view. Mortimer-Griffin will be a good battle alright, Griffin is a very good man-marker and I think everyone was surprised by the run-around he got last August. I'd say he will be very keen to get a lot closer to Mort on Sunday and show he can handle him. Who is Full-forward for Dublin at the moment, still Keaney? either way it will be different test for our FB compared to that giant from Cork.

Kevin Bonnar is playing full forward at the moment but they do rotate a bit...Keaney playing right half forward...

EastMayoHerald

dubnut

OirthearMhaigheo

The big games are always on tv ;)

Hound

Getting closer and closer to Dublin's championship team.

The forwards are virtually assured to be:

Moran - Sherlock - Keaney
Brogan - Bonner - Quinn

Only Moran a little bit doubtful, but I'd be very surprised if he wasnt picked for the Kildare/Meath match, and he had his best game in years v Fermanagh.
I dont think Alan Brogan will be risked against Mayo, so the only question is whether Bernard will deputise again. I've a feeling he'll give someone else a chance, though not sure whether it'll be Connolly or Vaughan. Personally I'd play Vaughan as he's the only one who hasnt had a start.

Be very telling to see whether Caffrey drops Ryan or Magee if Whelan is fit.

Brennan may have opened the door for Paul Casey at wingback, with only a average performance v Fermanagh.
I presume Ross McConnell will be at 3 again for Mayo. The big downside of our last two games was that no questions were asked of Ross, so we still have no idea if he's any good or not as a full back. But with two good cornerbacks and a good goalie I'm not overly worried about full back.

We got hammered the last time we were in Mayo, but given we need to win, and Mayo don't, that gives us a slight edge so we should at least be competitive this time round so I think the game will be close.

Northside Dub

Id say the starting team will line up like this:
           Cluxton
Henry    McConnell   Griffin
Casey     Cullen        Cahill
  Whelan      Ryan
Moran     Jayo      Keaney
B.Brogan  Bonner  Mossy

Getting close to the championship team alright!!

dubnut

Think Magee has a valid shout for midfield alongside Whelan, has been ever present (I think) and steadily improving.