Leinster Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 11, 2018, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laoiseabu

Meath up next . Was at their game against Carlow and they will be a big step up from Westmeath especially with their pacy fowards in the wide spaces of Croke Park . Offaly gave them a big scare so if we apply ourselves well we have a chance . It will be important to keep it very tight and crowded in the backline and try to get quick quality ball into O'Carroll (and Donie if he plays ) . I wouldn't like to see our backs left in one to one battles with their fowards therefore we will need to crowd it and force turnovers . Timmons( broken arm )will definitely be out  and Begley( ankle )is doubtful . We may see booth going fullback and Attride coming back into the corner . If Begley is out I expect Pigott to be given the nod at centre back . I Think scully is more than worth his play either as a half back or half foward.

Tony

We're getting a bit unlucky with some key injuries at an important time. Timmons is a big loss but in fairness, other lads showed up against W.meath and we weren't wanting for effort, that's for sure. I'd prefer to see 15 less talented lads give 100% VS 15 more talented lads give 80%, any day. The performance against Westmeath was excellent. I think westmeath are a good, well drilled, talented side and I wouldn't be surprised if we see them around round 4 of the qualifiers. My men of the match would have been Dillon, Booth, Begley, JOL, Scully and Evan. I also thought O Sullivan and Lowry did well, as did Paul Kingston.

I also would like us to go for the jugular more. It's the only chance we'll have against better opposition. There were chances in that match to get goals if we just saw the free man available. We'll need goals vs Meath to have a chance as they are looking fast, sharp and they have good scorers. I hope this is something John will drill in training. If the goal is on, we have to take it. Dublin do it a lot - they could take the point but a lot of the time they have the vision to work a goal. I noticed it at the match itself but also when watching back footage later. I really hope Scully starts the next day - there's nothing like seeing a lad terrorising the opposition like that.

on the hop

That's a big loss if the Timmons injury is that bad. Newman is a key man for Meath and we will need someone playing in front of him and hopefully that's Begley. I still have my doubts about piggotts positioning at times in the centre but in fairness that was a very inexperienced back line that finished and it held firm. Meath seemed to have pressed Carlow high on the kick outs and I would expect the same with us as we struggled at times when Westmeath pressed. Brody wouldn't have the biggest boot to go over it so hopefully we can work them better.

As said above if we could get a few goals it would really rattle them. I would start the front three again as I felt sorry for Murphy with no ball coming in and James Dolan parked In front of him. It was probably tactical with the wind in mind but A lot of ball going in was poor and into the corners and with only half forwards and midfield sitting back often it was left to moments of brilliance to clip over scores. We badly miss a link man at centre forward and Benny Carroll probably would have done that role but we have to work with what we have. It will interesting to see what game plan we go with, a more cautious plan like last weekend or go after them like Offaly did.

Laois Rising

Timmons loss will be tested by Newman as he has had a great year so far. We will need to position someone in front of him to provide cover to whoever ends up marking him on the day. As for Piggott he is improving all of the time- the Louth and Westmeath games in Croker taught us a lot about how we need to set up defensively playing in croker. Badly exposed at times in both games. Meath will exploit similar failings as there is plenty of speed in their team.

Donie will be needed if we are to overcome Meath. Hopefully he will be fit to start. Evan will be a marked man after his performance against Wesmeath. It might take some of the heat off Donie as normally he was the one double and at times trebled marked over the years. 

blueandwhite1

Pace will be key in Croker with the big spaces and the fast surface. Great that so many of the faster young lads did well in Tullamore, we will need them in Dublin.

Unlaoised

First up a great win well done to all the lads they showed real pride in the jersey and the support really got behind them despite the Longford ref trying to bring westmeath back into it.

Timmons is a big blow ...id prefer Piggott at full back and let booth man Mark
LAOIS ABÚ

Joeythelips

I have not seen any Laois games but going by match reports this year the one thing that seems to stand out is the quality of our panel as most have been given decent game time by Sugrue. This has been one of his great traits in fairness, no one is above dropping or is indispensable if they are not putting in a shift. Lads know if they are working hard enough they will get a chance.
Timmons is a loss but it's a chance for someone else to do a job. Meath are definitely much improved this year and will be a huge challenge, but thats what championship football is all about.

Unlaoised

Who's all going Sunday I for one cannot wait ...love playing Meath in croker
LAOIS ABÚ

Tony

Yep, going here with the young crew, win or lose it'll be great to support the lads. Delighted with how we're going really, so for me, anything from here is a bonus. Great to see us doing well in Leinster again after all those barron years. 1 final and now a semi final (and maybe another final if we're lucky) in 2 years is good going, especially considering where we were just a couple years back. All we can hope for is progress and to give our all and that's what we're seeing. 

In relation to the match, I see Meath being too fast and pacey for us on the day, a big step up from Westmeath. Probably 5 points in it or so. Of course, I hope I'm wrong. Never know. It'll be interesting to see the teams named...

Don Draper

on the hop

We will have to up our scoring rate, I don't think we have got over 13 points in any of the last games we have played there

Don Draper

Quote from: on the hop on June 04, 2019, 11:39:29 PM
We will have to up our scoring rate, I don't think we have got over 13 points in any of the last games we have played there
Carlow being one of those, Dublin the other, and the league final in which we kicked about 500 wides.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on June 05, 2019, 08:09:07 AM
Quote from: on the hop on June 04, 2019, 11:39:29 PM
Carlow being one of those, Dublin the other, and the league final in which we kicked about 500 wides.
We played Louth there too.

Tony

Yeah, we don't seem to be a high goal scoring county really, for years. We'll need to take our goal chances if we're to beat Meath in my opinion. Dublin do it a lot - any half chance at all, they go for goal. I'm not comparing us to Dublin but there's no reason why Evan or Paul or whoever can't back themselves, take on their man and run straight for their goal, terrorise them. Or better still: look up and see the man running towards goal in a better position. We could have had a few goals vs Westmeath in my opinion but we took the safe option. Of course you can't go for goals all the time but when the opportunity is there, why not! Goals make a massive difference to the momentum of the game and if we can grab a couple on Sunday, who knows.

The Boy Wonder

Forecast gives rain for Sunday afternoon - might not make any difference but sometimes it can work in favour of the older and slower team.
Meath have a few speed merchants and Laois do have a number of lads who have a lot of mileage on the clock.