NFL Division 2 2019

Started by Horse Box, November 22, 2018, 04:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

I felt that Armagh stopped pushing up on Meath in the final 15 minutes. They had done this  to great effect for the first 20 minutes of the second half. This meant Meath could get out of their defence much easier. Whether this was from a result of instruction from the sideline is something we don't know. Geezer definitely has a case to answer on several issues though, primarily taking Soupy off. R
Also, Rian O'Neill, who continues to improve, started drifting out the field also which left us with no presence in our FF line when we were playing with a wind. He should have been told to stand on the edge of the square and stay in there.. He, in the absence of Andy Murnin, is our most effective target man in attack.  Occasionally Rory Grugan, our most gifted playmaker, was the man on the edge of the square?? We didn't use our attackers effectively. Finally, James Morgan has turned into a liability in defence with his persistent fouling.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

thejuice

I think Armagh's card has been marked since Colm Parkinson has been singing your praises the last few weeks on his podcast. Woolly has the touch of death when it comes to predictions.

One thing I'll say while I was expecting a big push from us this year, I'm not taking Cork for granted no matter how bad they've been so far. Cork has been a tough place for us to go the last few years and we rarely get a result from them. There could be a sting in the tail and our form has been up and down the last few years so I won't be counting any chickens for the next fortnight.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

balladmaker

Armagh with the strong wind, and no one in the forward line to kick the ball into for the last 15 min of second half ... unreal! 

yellowcard

Quote from: mackers on February 10, 2019, 10:01:32 PM
I felt that Armagh stopped pushing up on Meath in the final 15 minutes. They had done this  to great effect for the first 20 minutes of the second half. This meant Meath could get out of their defence much easier. Whether this was from a result of instruction from the sideline is something we don't know. Geezer definitely has a case to answer on several issues though, primarily taking Soupy off. R
Also, Rian O'Neill, who continues to improve, started drifting out the field also which left us with no presence in our FF line when we were playing with a wind. He should have been told to stand on the edge of the square and stay in there.. He, in the absence of Andy Murnin, is our most effective target man in attack.  Occasionally Rory Grugan, our most gifted playmaker, was the man on the edge of the square?? We didn't use our attackers effectively. Finally, James Morgan has turned into a liability in defence with his persistent fouling.

We definitely miss Murnin inside, he is crucial to this teams success as a target man. Rian O'Neill is doing well but I'd better player running towards goal not with his back to it. When his decision making at this level improves he will go on to be a very good player. I agree on Morgan's fouling we are giving up too many scoreable free kicks.

Dinny Breen

Template to beat Kildare is simple...

Pack your defence, slow the game down, intimidate, bully, harass, frustrate...get in front, be accurate and watch Kildare implode....

Another season in Division 2 beckons...maybe back to 3 to continue our relegation, relegation, promotion, promotion, relegation....theme..
#newbridgeornowhere

balladmaker

QuoteWe definitely miss Murnin

When is Murnin expected back?

illdecide

Quote from: balladmaker on February 11, 2019, 02:44:10 PM
QuoteWe definitely miss Murnin

When is Murnin expected back?

Championship (apparently)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

illdecide

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 11, 2019, 02:34:01 PM

Pack your defence, slow the game down, intimidate, bully, harass, frustrate...get in front, be accurate and watch Kildare implode....

Another season in Division 2 beckons...maybe back to 3 to continue our relegation, relegation, promotion, promotion, relegation....theme..

Sounds familiar that  ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Rossfan

n, intimidate, bully, harass, frustrate...d watch Kildare implode....

Keep ye're beady eyes off Anthony Cunningham!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Throw ball

To be fair that is the template that beat Armagh in Ulster last year.

David McKeown

Quote from: Throw ball on February 10, 2019, 06:55:53 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 10, 2019, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: thejuice on February 10, 2019, 04:59:11 PM
I don't know about that. Soft penalty we got today not given and Jamie Clarke in the team you could have won that game today.

No I genuinely think Geezer would still have found a way to lose it. Armagh got back into the game and were within a point when they changed tactics to sit back. It's infuriating.

Honestly don't think there was a change of tactics and it might even be a disservice to Meath to suggest so. Armagh had done well to get back to a point down. The Meath full back went down to break up play and Armagh's momentum- cleverly. Meath then got a well bought free to put 2 in it again. The legs seemed to go at that stage. Maybe the effort to claw back the deficit had taken its toll. Maybe fresh legs should have been introduced earlier.

We will have to agree to disagree. Once Armagh got within a point a number of players started shouting at each other and pointing to other areas of the pitch. From their the FF line withdraw out the field leaving Armagh one on six inside the 45 at times. They also dropped off Meaths kick outs and generally seemed much more defensive all but abandoning the high press. Looked very much tactical to me and similar to what happened in the last 15 against Kildare.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Throw ball

Quote from: David McKeown on February 11, 2019, 08:26:39 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on February 10, 2019, 06:55:53 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on February 10, 2019, 05:23:37 PM
Quote from: thejuice on February 10, 2019, 04:59:11 PM
I don't know about that. Soft penalty we got today not given and Jamie Clarke in the team you could have won that game today.

No I genuinely think Geezer would still have found a way to lose it. Armagh got back into the game and were within a point when they changed tactics to sit back. It's infuriating.

Honestly don't think there was a change of tactics and it might even be a disservice to Meath to suggest so. Armagh had done well to get back to a point down. The Meath full back went down to break up play and Armagh's momentum- cleverly. Meath then got a well bought free to put 2 in it again. The legs seemed to go at that stage. Maybe the effort to claw back the deficit had taken its toll. Maybe fresh legs should have been introduced earlier.

We will have to agree to disagree. Once Armagh got within a point a number of players started shouting at each other and pointing to other areas of the pitch. From their the FF line withdraw out the field leaving Armagh one on six inside the 45 at times. They also dropped off Meaths kick outs and generally seemed much more defensive all but abandoning the high press. Looked very much tactical to me and similar to what happened in the last 15 against Kildare.

In hindsight you may have a point - up to a point. I don't think it was quite as simple as falling back but bringing McElroy on for Campbell was hardly an attacking move.

FermGael

We are still working on that bit....
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Dinny Breen

Quote from: FermGael on February 11, 2019, 09:14:59 PM

We are still working on that bit....

You were accurate enough, but you should have won by more.
#newbridgeornowhere

J70

Going to be tight for everyone in Div 2. Donegal have Fermanagh in Letterkenny next, and given our appalling record there and very average displays so far, it wouldn't be a big surprise if the Erne men were to get a result. Maybe we will improve when the Gaoth Dobhair lads and Murphy, McGrath, McGlynn etc return (no McBrearty until May, I think), but everyone is in the same boat with senior players still to come back.