Player of the year/young player of the year, Info

Started by David McKeown, August 11, 2007, 10:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Was talking to a friend of mine recently and he saying that the the young players of the year in 2001 2002 and 2003 were all past pupils of Saint Patricks Armagh.  Can any other school club town or even county claim a record like that for young player of the year or player of the year.  I would think that probably only counties could match this
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

oakleaf stateside

so far my player of the year is mc coly/fay and young player is with out a dout mark vaughn
Dont Do It

dodo

Bit early I suppose for player of the year but Stephen Bray would be a likely winner with a good performance in a win against Cork

paddypastit

Bernard Brogan? - the real difference between Dublin 06 and 07
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

From the Bunker

Cannot be picking Bernard og before their semi against the kingdom. That will be the test!

Hardy

We all know the player of the year will be chosen from the All Ireland Champions and that performances in the semi-finals and especially the final will outweigh all that went before. So it's too soon to say.

rolloutking

In the 2003 All Ireland final there were something like 18 past pupils on both teams. The school is a pure football acadamy although we are going through a lean period with the last Mac Rory cup coming in 2000 there are some good players coming through and i wouldnt be surprised if the Mac Rory cup was sitting in the trophy cabinent in the main hall come March next year. The 2000 team alone had stars such as Sean Cavanagh and Ronan Clarke and they reached the Hogan Cup final where they went down by two points to Navan managed by Colm O Rourke. The defining moment of that final was when Navan came out to warm up they were wearing short sleeve tops. It was a rainy day and they then went back in and changed to long sleeve. This was crucial as in the last moments of the game with Navan a point up Armagh got a free. They took it short and with Armagh wearing short sleeve jerseys the ball skided of the players arms and Navan went down the field and sent over the insurance point. However the teams star player Pete Quigley was injured in that game and his influence was surely have been worth a few points had Mattie let him play. The school puts so much emphasis on football and especially on Mac Rory and has intercounty footballers past and present teaching at the school such as John Devine, Davy Harte, Mark Harte, Paul Mc Cormack, Alan O' Neill and of course Matte Mc Gleenan.

My choices for Young Player of the year are Stephen Bray or Brian Farrell but id say Mark Vaughn will get it due to the exposure he gets and the flamboyance he brings to the game.

J70

ExiledGael

Bray is 24/25, just feels like a newcomer to us because he's been dogged by injuries for a few years apparently.
What age is Vaughan?

Hound

Dublin's yougest players are:

22: Vaughan, McConnell
23: B.Brogan, Cullen
24: Griffin, Keaney

blanketattack

I think young player of the year is for players 22 years old or younger in their first full championship year.
I'd say Killian Young has a great chance of winning it for Kerry. He's aptly named to win it anyway.
For player of the year Kerry's main contenders are Declan O'Sullivan and Marc Ó Sé.
Remember that there's 3 Player Of The Year awards - Texaco, All-Stars and GPA.

Rav67

Vaughan doesnt bring any "flair" to the game you just say that cos he's his hair dyed FFS people. He was anonymous from open play against Derry fair enough he's the best free taker in the country but that, while it could well win Dubs the Sam, (hopefully) wont win him any personal awards.

The Real Laoislad

M J Tierney has had a excellent year in his first year on the Laois senior team.
Can't understand the hype surrounding Vaughan seems to me once the media jump onto something everyone starts to believe it.
Yes he's a good free taker but apart from that i don't see anything too special about him
You'll Never Walk Alone.

blanketattack

B Brogan and Vaughan aren't eligible for YPOTY. It's between Young and O'Rourke I'd say.

nrico2006

Vaughan is a free-taker and offers little from play.  Tommy freeman for Player of the Year - been brilliant every match!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'