Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ApresMatch

Eamon Burns did a good job in Darragh Cross. We unexpectedly reached an IFC final under him, after beating Downpatrick and a strong Kilclief team along the way in 2009. We were in the final in 2008, but lost alot of that team for 09. Yes we ended up getting relegated in 09 but we hadn't the panel to sustain a league campaign. We beat Glassdrumman in a relegation play-off but lost out to a strong Shamrocks team. In 2010 under Eamon we finished top of Division 3 but didnt go up because we lost to Drumgath a play-off. He introduced alot of young players that year who currently make up the spine of our senior team. A great speaker who doesnt waste his words.   

thewobbler

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 06, 2015, 10:22:34 AM
Who's does ?
Any views on the 'Academy' setup and other teams?

Jim McCorry, Frank Dawson, Paul McIver, and to a lesser extent James McCartan. That's it really. No other club manager in Down has really raised his head above the parapet in the past decade. Which would kind of suggest the right person might not be someone in the county (unless it's one of those four men).

I guess Armagh would have similar problems in that it's Crossmaglen men or nobody if they're intent on appointing from within. Except they're doing something similar to Down and entrusting everything in their last AI winning team members.

Anyway, it weakens the case for Eamon Burns to suggest that his club record is any sort of an advantage. Instead let's concentrate on Burns's strengths; he's been involved in county senior and under-21 team recently, so most of the senior panel would be very familiar with him, and through his club roles over the past few seasons, would seen every club player in Divisions 1 and 2.  These are definite advantages.

- - -

The academy is a great idea. Down youth development needs a reboot and there's some very strong people involved in this iteration. 

Personally I'm a bit aghast at the recent event which seemed to be mostly about handing over tracksuits to youngsters. That's the approach we need to avoid. Concentrate on football, tactics and conditioning. Make players out of them, not models.

rosskarr

Quote from: thewobbler on November 06, 2015, 10:34:51 AM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on November 06, 2015, 10:22:34 AM
Who's does ?
Any views on the 'Academy' setup and other teams?

Jim McCorry, Frank Dawson, Paul McIver, and to a lesser extent James McCartan. That's it really. No other club manager in Down has really raised his head above the parapet in the past decade. Which would kind of suggest the right person might not be someone in the county (unless it's one of those four men).

I guess Armagh would have similar problems in that it's Crossmaglen men or nobody if they're intent on appointing from within. Except they're doing something similar to Down and entrusting everything in their last AI winning team members.

Anyway, it weakens the case for Eamon Burns to suggest that his club record is any sort of an advantage. Instead let's concentrate on Burns's strengths; he's been involved in county senior and under-21 team recently, so most of the senior panel would be very familiar with him, and through his club roles over the past few seasons, would seen every club player in Divisions 1 and 2.  These are definite advantages.

- - -

The academy is a great idea. Down youth development needs a reboot and there's some very strong people involved in this iteration. 

Personally I'm a bit aghast at the recent event which seemed to be mostly about handing over tracksuits to youngsters. That's the approach we need to avoid. Concentrate on football, tactics and conditioning. Make players out of them, not models.
Eamon Burns was a mediocre Club Manager and his appointment for a mediocre County team doesn't equate.

SamFever

Quote from: SamFever on October 26, 2015, 09:07:18 PM
Quote from: Leonardo on October 26, 2015, 08:11:38 PM
@SamFever - who are you expecting? I have spoke to a number of men who have managed at club level within the county, and the response has been the same - there's no queue of men interested in the job. In fact I would go so far as to say the Co Board will be glad to get anyone at this stage. No call to be slagging off Eamonn Burns. How many managers in the county have had success? Let's go through them using championship success over last 15 years
McCorry - treated horribly by Co Board and also this Board
Dawson - would appear that majority of this Board don't want him either
Mickey Linden - doesn't appear to want it
Jackie McManus - does he still manage?
Think Bryansford had a win in 2003??? - can't remember manager - was it Eamonn?

Should we appoint an outsider? Personally speaking no - think we should save as much ££££ as possible until we are in a better position financially and playing wise.
Straight question Sam - would you take the job?
And a straight answer back-No but I don't think Eamon Burns should either. No offence but he has neither the charisma nor ability to do so and is better suited to doing what he has been doing,getting a few £'s from lunatic Clubs in the middle layers of Down Club Football!
My comments still stand.

thebar

Quote from: Mourne Rover on November 06, 2015, 10:09:18 AM
Rainbowman, the Down county board make it clear from the start that our new manager would be an internal appointment. Eamonn Burns obviously won a senior county title with Bryansford, and also has relevant experience in the lower divisions as well as a previous coaching role with the Down senior squad.  If you think his record is not up to scratch, would you like to list the Down-born managers who have been significantly more successful than him in our championship this century ?

Eamon Burns did not win a county titles with Bryansford. He's up against it and hasn't set the world on fire to date in his club management career but all we can do now is the support the man.

DownFanatic

Quote from: thebar on November 06, 2015, 01:12:14 PM
Rainbowman, the Down county board make it clear from the start that our new manager would be an internal appointment. Eamonn Burns obviously won a senior county title with Bryansford, and also has relevant experience in the lower divisions as well as a previous coaching role with the Down senior squad.  If you think his record is not up to scratch, would you like to list the Down-born managers who have been significantly more successful than him in our championship this century ?

Eamon Burns did not win a county titles with Bryansford. He's up against it and hasn't set the world on fire to date in his club management career but all we can do now is the support the man.

He won a county U-21 title as manager with his club and was trainer on the 2003 Bryansford SFC winning team.

thebar

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 06, 2015, 01:24:29 PM
Quote from: thebar on November 06, 2015, 01:12:14 PM

He won a county U-21 title as manager with his club and was trainer on the 2003 Bryansford SFC winning team.

Correct Benny Corrigan was the manager.

washed_up

good luck to Eamonn in his new role-UP DOWN!!

knockitdown

http://fb.me/3uyLRpYn5

Does anyone know how or if this is raising money or what is the point of it??

NP 76

They all had to raise 3 grand to get released. The idea was to have 50 people doing it so raising 50k. I don't know what has to come out if it or what profit will be involved. There is a big diner in the jail tonight to finish the deal off with tickets on sale for it

T O Hare

Fair pay to all who done the jail break. Looks to have been a great success.
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

The Raven

Quote from: knockitdown on November 07, 2015, 11:07:13 AM
http://fb.me/3uyLRpYn5

Does anyone know how or if this is raising money or what is the point of it??
[the point of it is we are in debt to the eyeballs. Personally I don't agree with. Many a good man found himself there for fighting for the right so we could play football and hurling and to me this is poking fun at those brave men.]

Red eye

Quote from: washed_up on November 06, 2015, 07:01:54 PM
good luck to Eamonn in his new role-UP DOWN!!

+1
Get behind Eamonn now - any word yet on a back room team yet? Maybe missed it as have been way past few weeks?

TooLongRef

fall out in the kilcoo camp? I've heard that McIvor has walked after a bust up between the Johnston brothers and the manager? any truth in this?

clowry13

Quote from: TooLongRef on November 10, 2015, 01:16:19 PM
fall out in the kilcoo camp? I've heard that McIvor has walked after a bust up between the Johnston brothers and the manager? any truth in this?
Heard this also, word is that the Johnston brothers were out drinking in Belfast last week and the management were not pleased. Understandably saying it was a week before ulster semi final.