The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on March 21, 2020, 01:58:27 PM
This could be a good chance to move back to u18 for minor and u21 instead of u20. Both switches have been a failure anyway and it would ensure young players dont miss out.

Bit of a leap for lads playing u15 to them go playing u18

Helix.

Quote from: clonadmad on March 21, 2020, 05:44:01 PM
This could be a good chance to move back to u18 for minor and u21 instead of u20. Both switches have been a failure anyway and it would ensure young players dont miss out.

Anyone have any good tips on hurling coaching resources online to have a look at if we go into lock down?

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Helix. on March 21, 2020, 10:34:18 PM

Anyone have any good tips on hurling coaching resources online to have a look at if we go into lock down?

Here ya go.....

https://learning.gaa.ie/hurlingskills
https://learning.gaa.ie/CoachingManuals
https://gaelicgameseurope.com/resources/coaching/hurling-drills/
https://coaching.dublingaa.ie/resources
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Helix.

Quote from: Junior Ex Laoistalk on March 22, 2020, 02:06:17 AM
Quote from: Helix. on March 21, 2020, 10:34:18 PM

Cheers 👍🏻

Here ya go.....

https://learning.gaa.ie/hurlingskills
https://learning.gaa.ie/CoachingManuals
https://gaelicgameseurope.com/resources/coaching/hurling-drills/
https://coaching.dublingaa.ie/resources

Ogie

Hello Folks,
Hope all are keeping well in these strange times, greatly missing the games at all ages
whats our verdict here do we think we will get to hurl at all this year ? Personally I think we will be back in action in August September with club action, hopefully numbers will stay falling
Are all club teams still preparing for a July return training on their own, following programmes or has everything stopped

So hard to envisage a year with nothing ahead

Blow-in

Not a hope of GAA in 2020. Are you living under a rock? GAA are going to get rude awaking because a lot of players won't go back due to the chance of infection.
John Horan more less said the other night there won't be anything

ottoman

Have to agree with Batman. there is no chance of any GAA action this year, John Horan effectively outlined that there will be no games or training session if social distancing is still in play and social distancing is not going away before the end of the year i'm afraid!! There would also be uproar if someone passes away from getting covid directly or indirectly due to a hurling or football match and the GAA simply wont allow themselves to be in that position!

merman

I must be living under the same rock as Ogie because I also expect games come the autumn.
The rate in the increase of cases is under 1% and falling; if this continues then it is absolutely feasible that we could have contact sport in 3 months time.

Of course, maybe we wont but the rush from some people to draw a line through the year and rule everything out is tiresome.

Is it such a bad thing to maintain the hope that we'll have an autumn of hurling and football?
Is it such a bad thing that young lads can continue to train and exercise in the hope that they'll get to be part of a team environment down the line?

I'd imagine most club players are still doing some running and maybe conditioning work if they can. There will be an ebb and flow; some weeks there'll be savage motivation, other weeks it'll wane.

The priority for us all is to stay healthy....and that includes mentally.
I'm perfectly happy to keep in the back of my mind that we could have a condensed club season in the autumn. I'd imagine plenty are thinking similarly.

And if it turns out we don't; so be it.

Ogie

Eloquent & accurate as always Merman,
Thanks for some perspective, I agree, every other sport including horse racing, soccer, golf, rugby etc all talking about ways to get back playing, while every report being issued or people speaking about our GAA want to dash any hope, like the sports joe headline '1/5th of players do not want to go back playing until vaccine, 3/5ths did!! 1/5th didn't know'
As Colm O Rourke said last week, when do we stop just exhisting and get back to living,
We
All have family & want our health, but without all the scare mongering that RTE have been doing, I do believe things will return to normal sooner rather than later, with work re opening of numbers stay low we can have hope & start to live again.
No GAA until social distancing is gone will be changed by August I believe anyway.
Let's try have some hope of getting back to the fields & living again!!

SCFC

So, here's my guess at what might happen.

In mid-July, clubs may be allowed to recommence collective training. Unfortunately, unless there's absolutely no danger of anyone contracting or spreading the virus at that point in time, not every player will be in a position to return to training. I'm aware of at least three lads in one senior football club who are adamant that they won't be returning to collective training anytime soon (or any other social contact) because of underlying conditions in their family unit (children, parents or partners).

So, following on from that, can a club championship begin in August or even September, with some or many teams affected by certain players being unavailable? My guess is no. I think that leagues might actually be the method of getting hurling and football recommenced.

Leagues aren't as important as championships and clubs have always played them without all their players. I think everyone would love to see games recommencing as soon as it's safe and there would be great delight in clubs meeting again and hosting one another in a less than fully competitive environment.

Hope all of you are keeping well and getting through. The best summary of it I saw was some random post on social media from a young lad recently along the lines of "God, wouldn't ya love to be down in the field on an evening like this driving a whole pile of shots wide in the warm up for training!"

ottoman

Quote from: merman on May 12, 2020, 06:10:13 PM
I must be living under the same rock as Ogie because I also expect games come the autumn.
The rate in the increase of cases is under 1% and falling; if this continues then it is absolutely feasible that we could have contact sport in 3 months time.

Of course, maybe we wont but the rush from some people to draw a line through the year and rule everything out is tiresome.

Is it such a bad thing to maintain the hope that we'll have an autumn of hurling and football?
Is it such a bad thing that young lads can continue to train and exercise in the hope that they'll get to be part of a team environment down the line?

I'd imagine most club players are still doing some running and maybe conditioning work if they can. There will be an ebb and flow; some weeks there'll be savage motivation, other weeks it'll wane.

The priority for us all is to stay healthy....and that includes mentally.
I'm perfectly happy to keep in the back of my mind that we could have a condensed club season in the autumn. I'd imagine plenty are thinking similarly.

And if it turns out we don't; so be it.

I am not trying to be negative or bring people down. I would love noting more than to be heading to Croker or to O Moore Park for club championship action this weekend, I miss it something fierce like the majority of gaels. But we also have to be realistic, this is going to get worse before it gets better as we try get out of this nightmare step by step and if you just listing to any of the experts, social distancing will be the very last thing yo be removed and that is not happening in 2020 I am afraid!

clonadmad

Laois Minor Hurling Championship to start 10th of August

Ogie

How will clubs cone out of the lockdown or who's favourites for our hurling titles?
Close between the 'top 4' in senior hurling, barring major surprises they should make up the semi finalists, Borris Kilcotton Camross Clough Ballacolla & Rathdowney Errill
On the day after that with those 4

Premier intermediate should finally be The Harps, probably overcoming Portlaoise or maybe a newly enthused Colt-Shanahoe

Keyser Söze

Hard to argue Ogie, but I don't know if Clough Ballacolla can genuinely be considered part of that group any more. Maybe they will prove me wrong!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......