Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on January 31, 2018, 03:12:00 PM
Increased attendances because Mayo kept drawing matches and their supporters are soft enough (like ours are) to keep going to all the refixtures.

Interest in the IC game is on a serious downwards spiral now.

The championship would only be half dressed without us.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

manfromdelmonte

I heard of 4/5 clubs in a rural county coming together and putting together a detailed plan for a coaching programme in the local primary and secondary schools and the underage sections of the clubs involved all supported by a 9 month full time coach (basically one evening per week in each club).
They applied for funding through their county board with half of the cost to be funded by the clubs involved.
There was no funding available

another two clubs I know of came together and put together a part time coaching plan for their local schools (as they felt they weren't getting enough time off the county board - one hour per school per week). Again, no funding was forthcoming.

From the Bunker

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 31, 2018, 04:42:51 PM
This is not a GAA problem. This is a national problem that has been allowed to carry on unchecked for decades. There are too many people living in Dublin. This does nothing for the quality of life of people living there. I've been saying it for a long time - there needs to be a sustained, committed drive by government to divert job etc away from Dublin to less populous areas. Things will only get worse if this does not happen.

A flip side of this which I'm guessing not many care about is that in a county of 1.3M or whatever, only 25-30 lads get to play intercounty football. Which is nuts.

Many are using residency to play for other counties. Brian Mullens Son for Donegal. Man of the match in Dublin's 2011 All-Ireland final Kevin Nolan has thrown his hat in to play for Monaghan. There will be more.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 31, 2018, 05:33:07 PM
I heard of 4/5 clubs in a rural county coming together and putting together a detailed plan for a coaching programme in the local primary and secondary schools and the underage sections of the clubs involved all supported by a 9 month full time coach (basically one evening per week in each club).
They applied for funding through their county board with half of the cost to be funded by the clubs involved.

another two clubs I know of came together and put together a part time coaching plan for their local schools (as they felt they weren't getting enough time off the county board - one hour per school per week). Again, no funding was forthcoming.

Impossible, they say on reservoir dubs that no club has ever been refused funding when a proper plan has been put in place. It must just mean that Dubliners are better at submitting plans.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2018, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 30, 2018, 01:29:33 PM
Quote from: Zulu on January 30, 2018, 11:43:35 AM
Might be labelled by some here as a troll, WUM or God forbid, a Dub but I don't get this financial doping stuff. As far as I know this is basically what happened:

1. Dublin was seen as a GAA blackspot and as the major population centre of Ireland were given extra funding to address this.

Dublin was a GAA black spot was it? Second most successful county in football's history. Ok then...

So the GAA decided that won't do and decided to turn the other counties of Leinster into a real black spot where they can't win anything. That was the plan was it?

Unless you're being deliberately confrontational you know what I mean. GAA was less than optimal in Dublin and it was only right that the governing body addressed this. I doubt they envisioned the success they'd have in the capital but I'm sure they're trying to help others. Why wouldn't they?

Are you actually suggesting the GAA should not have helped make the GAA strong in the most populous part of Ireland? It would be an abdication of their role.
Depends very much on what you mean by "help."
  Even without grant money from any quarter, Dublin would have greatly superior resources to any other county. It seems official policy is to widen the gap even further.
Other counties, especially those along the western seaboard are having enough trouble to keep going as it is, never mind the bias towards Dublin where development grants are concerned.
The country club as the heart of the local community is fast becoming a relic of the past.   
If  you didn't have a high standard of intercounty competition, you wouldn't have a GAA, full stop.
This excerpt from the GAA's Annual Revenue Report should be studied carefully.

"Gate receipts provided over half of the GAA's income in 2017 (€34.4 Million), and were up by €4 million on 2016's gate receipts.
This was thanks to the average attendance per championship match (in the All-Ireland series) growing to 22,000, helped significantly by the All-Ireland series attendance figures growing by 24 per cent (180,000).
(I have numbered and isolated the three points I refer to for emphasis.

Mayo's replays at the All-Ireland semi-final and quarter-final stages as well as the big crowds attracted by hurling counties like Wexford, Cork, and Waterford would have been big contributory factors to this increase.

The knock-out stages of the All-Ireland championships remain as vital as ever as a revenue generator for the Association because they ultimately finance the majority of matches and competitions which aren't profit making.

For example, no Allianz Football League or Hurling League match turned a profit in 2017, nor did any Ring, Rackard, or Meagher Cup match."

At the moment the only credible challenge to Dublin's stranglehold on the premier  competition, the All Ireland, comes from Mayo.
The two counties have given unrivalled entertainment in all that is positive about Gaelic football. Kerry is going through a period of rebuilding, Tyrone has faded from the scene and there is no other serious alternative when you look around.
The GAA would be in grave financial trouble unless Dublin had worthwhile opposition. Catering for the elite is all very well but if that means leaving others to go suck the hind tit and fend for themselves, Dublin will ultimately be losers, same as everybody else.

Although there are other counties in the same boat, I'm concentrating on Mayo as the rivalry with Dublin has been the major money spinner for some time but official policy seems to be to make it even harder for Mayo to stay in touch with with the Dubs.
Going by these infographics, and they have been posted here several times before, this is plain to be seen.
In the period 2010-2014 Dublin got €274.70 in games development grants per registered player while Mayo got €22.30.
That's bad enough but to make matters worse, Dublin got a total of €11.7 million from the GAA in that period, whereas Mayo got €2.63 million.
So the official policy seems to be that Dublin must get what it needs in order to survive but others can take a running jump for themselves.
Tell me, do you think the Leinster championship this year will be run at a profit or a loss?
How long will it be before the All Ireland championship becomes a farce also? Bottom line for me is that you can shovel all the money you like into Dublin but it won't be coming from gate receipts.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hound

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on January 31, 2018, 07:53:43 PM

Impossible, they say on reservoir dubs that no club has ever been refused funding when a proper plan has been put in place. It must just mean that Dubliners are better at submitting plans.
If we'd any proper GAA journalists, instead of the moaners and flamers, we would get a proper piece on why these clubs did not get funding and a detailed comparison with why a Dublin club did. If true of course. We should get to the bottom of this. For starters, let's name the 4 or 5 clubs who came together?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Hound on February 01, 2018, 02:30:04 PM

If we'd any proper GAA journalists, instead of the moaners and flamers, we would get a proper piece on why these clubs did not get funding and a detailed comparison with why a Dublin club did. If true of course. We should get to the bottom of this. For starters, let's name the 4 or 5 clubs who came together?
why should I?
maybe come up with a reason why Dublin clubs have a privileged status to get funding?

RedHand88

Quote from: CumminsCiderLarry on February 01, 2018, 09:37:52 PM
how can team compete with Dublin?

1.All meals delivered to Dublin players
2.none of the dublin team work
3.free cars
4.access to facilities in Abbotstown,DCU
5.have their warm area/dressing room

Time to take the dubs out of croker and play a few games down the country

They did this last year. They still won the all Ireland. Also not sure how free cars equate to better players... didn't Donegal get a similar deal in around their all Ireland winning season?

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 01, 2018, 10:26:07 PM
Quote from: Hound on February 01, 2018, 02:30:04 PM

why should I?
maybe come up with a reason why Dublin clubs have a privileged status to get funding?

It's simple - The GAA when they had finished Croke Park need fans to fill it! Leinster Finals involving Laois and Westmeath were a disaster financially for Headquarters. Having a strong Dublin is essential. The GAA made a balls of renting Croke Park to Soccer and Rugby. If they had gotten in before Landsdowne was redeveloped they could be making money off season when soccer and Rugby are played.

Dublin won't be taken out of Croke Park because Dublin fans don't travel. The attendance at the Carlow game in 2017 was 13,238! The attendance at the Wexford game in 2016 was 16,764! The GAA will continue to make life convenient for the largest fan base to be able to go to games. The rest of us will just have to suck it up or vote with our feet!

RedHand88

Nonsense that Dublin fans don't travel. Im pretty sure theyve outnumbered the home support whist travelling in recent years.

TheGreatest

3.free cars

*** FAKE NEWS ALERT*

1.All meals delivered to Dublin players - FAKE NEWS - Confirmed by John Costello
2.none of the dublin team work - FAKE NEWS - Myth debunked time and time again
3.free cars - Not all get them, some of them get them as loans
4.access to facilities in Abbotstown,DCU - Dublin always hand a strong affiliation with DCU, they use a lot of club grounds, Parnells (Davids) Innisfails in Kinsealy, which are hardly state of the art facilities, take your logic the take Tyrone out of their centre of excellence, Clare etc, How can Leitrim compete with Mayos 320 K senior football team expenditure
5.have their warm area/dressing room - Dublin have always warmed up infront of the Hill. Only problem with people now because they are winning, Dressing room myth debunked time and time again.

God , newbies what.

TheGreatest

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 02, 2018, 08:23:12 AM
Nonsense that Dublin fans don't travel. Im pretty sure theyve outnumbered the home support whist travelling in recent years.

Its a very good point, every away league match was well attended including the outing in Leinster.

This year will be no different.

From the Bunker

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 02, 2018, 08:26:49 AM

Its a very good point, every away league match was well attended including the outing in Leinster.

Great travelers my hole!

The attendance at the Carlow game in 2017 was 13,238! The attendance at the Wexford game in 2016 was 16,764! The GAA will continue to make life convenient for the largest fan base to be able to go to games.

TheGreatest

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 02, 2018, 08:33:07 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on February 02, 2018, 08:26:49 AM

Great travelers my hole!

The attendance at the Carlow game in 2017 was 13,238! The attendance at the Wexford game in 2016 was 16,764! The GAA will continue to make life convenient for the largest fan base to be able to go to games.

Biggest attendances last year were in the league, Carlow will not attract big crowds, 85% of that match crowd were Dubs. Its good for what it is.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: TheGreatest on February 02, 2018, 08:25:42 AM

3.free cars

*** FAKE NEWS ALERT*

1.All meals delivered to Dublin players - FAKE NEWS - Confirmed by John Costello
2.none of the dublin team work - FAKE NEWS - Myth debunked time and time again
3.free cars - Not all get them, some of them get them as loans
4.access to facilities in Abbotstown,DCU - Dublin always hand a strong affiliation with DCU, they use a lot of club grounds, Parnells (Davids) Innisfails in Kinsealy, which are hardly state of the art facilities, take your logic the take Tyrone out of their centre of excellence, Clare etc, How can Leitrim compete with Mayos 320 K senior football team expenditure
5.have their warm area/dressing room - Dublin have always warmed up infront of the Hill. Only problem with people now because they are winning, Dressing room myth debunked time and time again.

God , newbies what.

They're just denials, there is nothing to say they are true. I would firmly be of the opinion that a high proportion of the Dublin players effectively have part time or no-show jobs.