Fermanagh v Armagh Brewster Pk Sat 19th May 7:00pm

Started by illdecide, May 10, 2018, 09:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Armagh against tyrone last tear was a mismatch. I would be very surprised if armagh have come on that much.

tonto1888

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 15, 2018, 03:17:08 PM
I have a bad feeling for Armagh in this fixture. The Brewster park factor could be key for Fermanagh and the ref will need to be strong for what will likely be a bruising encounter.

What's the Brewster Park factor? What's their record like there?

trileacman

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 15, 2018, 09:03:12 PM
I have a bad feeling for Armagh in this fixture. The Brewster park factor could be key for Fermanagh and the ref will need to be strong for what will likely be a bruising encounter.

It's a dirty, narrow pitch, kinda like Healy Park which is it's more windswept cousin. They've a mixed record there but tend to keep games tight at home especially in bad conditions. Couple of good wins there under McGrath most notably a 4 or 5 point turnaround in the dying minutes against Roscommon a few years back, think they got to the QFS that year.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

That's not a slur on Fermanagh or Brewster either. It's just a tight pitch that defences can crowd easier. Fermanagh use that to their advantage as they should.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trileacman on May 15, 2018, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 15, 2018, 09:03:12 PM

It's a dirty, narrow pitch, kinda like Healy Park which is it's more windswept cousin. They've a mixed record there but tend to keep games tight at home especially in bad conditions. Couple of good wins there under McGrath most notably a 4 or 5 point turnaround in the dying minutes against Roscommon a few years back, think they got to the QFS that year.

Lost to Dublin.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Taylor

Armagh 8/15 in Brewster Pk.
Skinny odds considering the venue.

Was there not a falling out among yourselves on your tip to Portugal (which the GAA have conveniently ignored considering it was in April)

mackers

Quote from: Taylor on May 16, 2018, 09:31:31 AM
Was there not a falling out among yourselves on your tip to Portugal (which the GAA have conveniently ignored considering it was in April)
Not aware of any falling out on the trip??  The GAA haven't ignored the obvious breaking of the April rule with the rumoured punishment being a loss of our first home league match next year.
As illdecide has said I don't think there has ever been a quieter build up to a first round championship match in my memory.  McGeeney's treatment of the clubs is leaving quite a few supporters cold and the thoughts of playing a ultra negative Fermanagh in Brewster doesn't really get the juices going.
Having suffered through the league meeting there I'll be travelling with a sense of dread.  Armagh's use of the ball has to be much better with much more running off the shoulder to break the defensive line.  This team have been dreadfully poor against blanket defences over the years with too much aimless hand passing back and forward across the midfield area.  I also hope that we have worked on our discipline as we have been giving away too many needless fouls.  The other area of concern is Neilan is the referee.  I'm not sure he's capable of refereeing this type of game.
Armagh's chances hinge of the availability and performance of Grugan and Rafferty up front.  Rafferty, in particular, has a great talent for long range point taking which will be vital on Saturday evening.  Rory Grugan's form has been patchy throughout the league but we need him to be at his best as he has outstanding vision and passing ability which again will be vital against a very tight defence.  Both have had their injury concerns recently and I am unaware of their availability.  If they are not able to play then we will be completely reliant on Andy Murnin and Fermanagh will wrap him up completely with very little else to distract the blanket defence.
It'll be tight and there's no way Armagh are a 8/15 shot for this match.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

our_fella

Grugan, Rafferty, Sheilds, McCabe and Sheridan all to miss Saturday.. Hard to see a win tbh.

Also, "McGeeney's treatment of the clubs is leaving quite a few supporters cold"   Please elaborate....

mackers

I would have thought McGeeney's treatment of the clubs is obvious. He was one of the few inter-county managers to openly ignore the club only rule in April.  The clubs do not get access to their county players in a similar way that other counties do or, indeed, the way that Paul Grimley allowed.  It is widely known that the reason he left Kildare was that the senior clubs had enough of rarely having access to their county players so he has had a record of poor/no communication with clubs throughout his managerial career.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Quote from: our_fella on May 16, 2018, 10:49:09 AM
Grugan, Rafferty, Sheilds, McCabe and Sheridan all to miss Saturday.. Hard to see a win tbh.

Also, "McGeeney's treatment of the clubs is leaving quite a few supporters cold"   Please elaborate....

Ahh FFS, why didn't you post that an hour ago before i went and purchased 2 tickets...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

I agree with Mackers in terms of the treatment of clubs and it's not just in terms of player availability. I was speaking to a committee member of a small enough club in terms of numbers. They were organising fundraising events through April and had tickets etc to sell. They had a plan of action and this was essentially hijacked as the county board demanded that they sell tickets for the county team. How are clubs meant to survive I that environment?

giveherlong

How do you access the iplayer through freeview?
Is it via red button or what's the story or do you need laptop?

Throw ball

Mackers/BCB. I feel it is harsh to lay all the blame at McGeeney's door even though he does bear some responsibility. Knowing ones involved with other counties McGeeney is actually more flexible than some inter county managers. Players also did play 3 of 4 club games in April and a few picked up injuries which will keep them out of the Fermanagh game.
The club draw for me was a bit of a farce as some clubs took it seriously and others just done enough to meet a quota. The draw was to build a training centre for the county teams. It will be quite a while before we know if building such a thing in Portadown is a good idea.
The biggest thing for me seems to be the amount of money wasted on development squads. This is probably a countrywide problem. I would prefer money spent on improving coaching in schools and clubs.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Throw ball on May 16, 2018, 01:34:53 PM
Mackers/BCB. I feel it is harsh to lay all the blame at McGeeney's door even though he does bear some responsibility. Knowing ones involved with other counties McGeeney is actually more flexible than some inter county managers. Players also did play 3 of 4 club games in April and a few picked up injuries which will keep them out of the Fermanagh game.
The club draw for me was a bit of a farce as some clubs took it seriously and others just done enough to meet a quota. The draw was to build a training centre for the county teams. It will be quite a while before we know if building such a thing in Portadown is a good idea.
The biggest thing for me seems to be the amount of money wasted on development squads. This is probably a countrywide problem. I would prefer money spent on improving coaching in schools and clubs.

I would agree with you in terms of the development squads and I put a long post up on that particular subject on the Armagh forum.

haranguerer

Quote from: Throw ball on May 16, 2018, 01:34:53 PM

Who?