Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: dublin7 on March 03, 2019, 10:40:25 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on March 03, 2019, 10:27:15 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on March 03, 2019, 09:31:51 PM
On a scale of one to ten. With one being that Peter Canavan doesn't even have Joe Brollys phone number. How likely is the phone call in this article to actually have taken place?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-miracle-men-are-no-fluke-as-god-will-tell-you-37872163.html

I hope that Canavan will come out and say that the phone call didn't happen.

If the only thing you could take out of Joe's article today is did he really call Peter Canavan then what the f**k? I thought his opinions on trying on trying to teach players to play with both feet was actually very interesting and worth further discussion. How many of the dublin players, especially in the forwards are equally comfortable on both feet? Compare that to how many of the Mayo team who pushed them so close are two footed

No, Peter actually phoned him to talk about the whole lefty/righty thing.
That was never a square ball!!

screenexile

It's sad to see the Tymoanies so blinkered with hatred that when Joe actually writes a decent interesting article they still can't handle it and have to have some kind of pop at him!!! Great article that is very well written!!

Jim Bob

Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2019, 11:15:31 PM
It's sad to see the Tymoanies so blinkered with hatred that when Joe actually writes a decent interesting article they still can't handle it and have to have some kind of pop at him!!! Great article that is very well written!!

It's not  a decent article when it's based round a phone call which may not  have happened. If the phone call did occur then fair enough. I don't believe it did   If it didn't happen then you ve got to ask why he wrote it.

J70

On a scale of one to ten. With one being that Peter Canavan doesn't even have Joe Brollys phone number. How likely is the phone call in this article to actually have taken place?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-miracle-men-are-no-fluke-as-god-will-tell-you-37872163.html

WTF? ;D

Main Street

The phone call happened.  The question is where did it happen?

Jim Bob

Quote from: J70 on March 04, 2019, 12:46:33 PM

WTF? ;D

I say this because Joe once wrote in the paper 'quoting ' Jarlath Burns. Burns wasn't long in letting it be known that he had not said what Joe boy claimed he had.

Sheugh Water

:cant mind seeing many turf bogs about errigal ciaran country

GJL

Quote from: Sheugh Water on March 04, 2019, 11:45:28 PM
:cant mind seeing many turf bogs about errigal ciaran country

Plenty of them!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jim Bob on March 04, 2019, 11:10:37 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 04, 2019, 12:46:33 PM

WTF? ;D

I say this because Joe once wrote in the paper 'quoting ' Jarlath Burns. Burns wasn't long in letting it be known that he had not said what Joe boy claimed he had.

Thats fine. But people should have a bit more wit than accusing a barrister of totally inventing a conversation.

haranguerer

Its a great article with some interesting ideas and a great core message - I don't care if the call happened or not.

BennyHarp

Quote from: haranguerer on March 05, 2019, 07:44:08 PM
Its a great article with some interesting ideas and a great core message - I don't care if the call happened or not.

A great article? It's hardly groundbreaking stuff to suggest that good players should practice with their bad foot. I was being coached that in the 1980s. I started the discussion here about the phone call, my point being that Joe's articles are becoming like a parody of themselves with regards to them always containing a reference to one GAA personality or another ringing him about the burning issues of the day. I assumed that whole phone call with Canavan was written tongue in cheek by Joe and he never meant anyone to seriously think that the conversation happened.,
That was never a square ball!!

Main Street

It's a good article, not a great article :)
His coaching advice on developing ambipedal ability is another example of what we have come to know as 'spontaneous Joe', aka spoofing. 

Over the Bar

Quote from: screenexile on March 03, 2019, 11:15:31 PM

For sure. LOL!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 05, 2019, 09:20:41 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 05, 2019, 07:44:08 PM

A great article? It's hardly groundbreaking stuff to suggest that good players should practice with their bad foot. I was being coached that in the 1980s. I started the discussion here about the phone call, my point being that Joe's articles are becoming like a parody of themselves with regards to them always containing a reference to one GAA personality or another ringing him about the burning issues of the day. I assumed that whole phone call with Canavan was written tongue in cheek by Joe and he never meant anyone to seriously think that the conversation happened.,

I would apply this to about 90% of Joe's public words.

knockitdown

I see Joe's having a good chat with Cllr Pankhurst on twitter....