Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Sad to hear that. I didn't mind aul Graham. Made a bit of a scapegoat when Engerland manager, but enjoyed him as pundit/co-commentator, and seemed like a nice bloke.

AZOffaly

He was on Newstalk there last year I think. Was very good. Seemed like a nice man, who was probably completely unfairly scapegoated. Good manager with Watford too back in the day. RIP.

magpie seanie

Quote from: BennyCake on January 12, 2017, 03:07:58 PM
Sad to hear that. I didn't mind aul Graham. Made a bit of a scapegoat when Engerland manager, but enjoyed him as pundit/co-commentator, and seemed like a nice bloke.

A tweet from Paul McGrath today among many others bears that out. Taylor was very unfairly treated by the British media....no one deserved what they did to him.

clarshack

he was definitely badly treated by the english media. it should be remembered he had to manage some very average players around 1992/1993 such as Carlton Palmer, Stuart Ripley and Andy Sinton to name but a few.

Captain Obvious

Graham Taylor was one of the nice guys of the beautiful game problem was he was too nice for the scummy English media. RIP.

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 12, 2017, 03:27:30 PM
Graham Taylor was one of the nice guys of the beautiful game problem was he was too nice for the scummy English media. RIP.
V scummy . Even worse now with Brexit
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Owenmoresider

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2017, 03:31:54 PM
Do you seriously have to bring Brexit into absolutely everything here?

Agreed on the comments re Taylor, Seemed a thoroughly decent sort, and did a fine job with Watford and Villa but he wasn't the last England manager to fail in the job, he got a far worse pilliorying than any of the others though.

Minder

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2017, 03:31:54 PM

Seriously Seafoid, seek help or counselling about the B word
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

5 Sams

Not only the media...saw this on another Forum..

I heard an interview with him on the radio last year. He told of the constant abuse he'd get just for walking down the street. One particular story about going out with his family for dinner, as he walked towards the door of the restaurant there were a few lads drinking at a table outside. He knew he was going to get abuse and he was right - the b*stards threw their pints over him and humiliated him in front of his family. Over f*cking football. He said that sort of thing was a regular occurrence and still sounded emotional about it.
The Aristocrat Years

T Fearon

BennyCake

Quote from: AQMP on January 12, 2017, 04:11:11 PM
Taylor resigned after England failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup.  Their group was England, Holland, Poland, Norway, Turkey and San Marino. 2 to qualify, no play offs.  England were expected to qualify easily.  Shows you how far England's footballing stock is has fallen, since if they were to draw that group now you'd expect them to struggle!

Bobby Robson raised expectations in 1990, when England were unbelievably lucky to get to a semi. England probably expected Taylor to improve on that, when really they found their own level again - mediocrity.  His documentary didn't help him though.

They've hardly set the world alight since. They have qualified for nearly all tournaments since, but that's more due to expanded tournaments. While I delighted in England's failures then (and since), once a man has left his post, he should be at least treated with respect.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AQMP on January 12, 2017, 04:11:11 PM
Taylor resigned after England failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup.  Their group was England, Holland, Poland, Norway, Turkey and San Marino. 2 to qualify, no play offs.  England were expected to qualify easily.  Shows you how far England's footballing stock is has fallen, since if they were to draw that group now you'd expect them to struggle!

I wouldn't. England tend to stroll through their qualifying groups these days. Problems start when you get to tournaments.

Shamrock Shore

A decent chap who had the misfortune of having sc**bag papers on his case.

RIP.

Asal Mor

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2017, 03:10:45 PM

A tweet from Paul McGrath today among many others bears that out. Taylor was very unfairly treated by the British media....no one deserved what they did to him.
"Devestated to hear of Graham's sad passing, what a gentleman. In my darkest days himself and Rita were always there for me #RipGrahamAHero," McGrath tweeted.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Asal Mor on January 12, 2017, 07:07:05 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2017, 03:10:45 PM

"Devestated to hear of Graham's sad passing, what a gentleman. In my darkest days himself and Rita were always there for me #RipGrahamAHero," McGrath tweeted.

He was very supportive to McGrath and Elton John both battling issues with alcohol. People who met Taylor in public always remarked about how much of a gentleman he was. The same media that personally abused him now fawning over him. Hypocrisy at its worst.