Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: theticklemister on October 23, 2012, 12:34:25 PM
do they still do the updates for club matches on aertel??

As a wain i thought it was fantastic as ye use to have to wait until the local paper to come out 5 days later to get the scores!!!

derry - 589

Could ye not get Seán Óg Ó Ceallacháin up there?

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: theticklemister on October 23, 2012, 12:34:25 PM
do they still do the updates for club matches on aertel??

As a wain i thought it was fantastic as ye use to have to wait until the local paper to come out 5 days later to get the scores!!!

derry - 589
+1

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 23, 2012, 11:23:49 AM
That's actually a sad, nostalgic moment. My first exposure to this mad world of Ceefax was back when I was about 10 or 11 I'd say, and I went to London for the first time with my Granny to visit my Uncle, Aunt and Cousins in Burnt Oak. One evening we went to a friend of his, and the sons had a TV in their bedroom, which was a shock initally. Then to see this mad thing of news that you could read at any time, and could decide what to look at. There were even sports stories!! I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Then when multi channel finally made it to Ferbane about 1986 or so, I can't even remember how many games I 'watched' through Ceefax. Hoping for the Page to Refresh, and to update with Liverpool 1 - Chelsea 0, Rush 87.

The tension was savage :) Anyway, a great service in its time and while the genre has moved on hugely in the UK with its red button type services on Sky and BBC, not to mention t'internet and iPhones, I will always remember sitting in that room in Edgeware, reading the previews of the soccer matches the next day while all my cousins were asleep, and the ghostly flicker of blue, green and white characters reflecting on my face in the dark.

Thanks Ceefax.

Edgewear? That's where I first come across Ceefax too, whilst in hospital  it felt like the future.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on October 23, 2012, 12:30:41 PM
Was there anything worse than Aertel on a Sun evening waiting to see if Longford beat Carlow in Div 3Z on the National League.

Bastarding page would be stuck on the first page for ages and then when it did roll to page 2 it would still show Carlow 0-03 Longford 0-02.

The details are a wee bit hazy, but I remember one evening, must have been late 90s, waiting on the result of an Antrim NHL game.  About an hour an a half after the game was over Aertel was still showing something like Antrim 0-12 Cork 1-14.  Not too bad a result, thinks I.  Imagine my surprise when the paper the next morning was reporting on Antrim 0-14 Cork 3-24!

Billys Boots

Quote from: AQMP on October 23, 2012, 01:35:16 PM
Was there anything worse than Aertel on a Sun evening waiting to see if Longford beat Carlow in Div 3Z on the National League.

Bastarding page would be stuck on the first page for ages and then when it did roll to page 2 it would still show Carlow 0-03 Longford 0-02.

The details are a wee bit hazy, but I remember one evening, must have been late 90s, waiting on the result of an Antrim NHL game.  About an hour an a half after the game was over Aertel was still showing something like Antrim 0-12 Cork 1-14.  Not too bad a result, thinks I.  Imagine my surprise when the paper the next morning was reporting on Antrim 0-14 Cork 3-24!

I know the fellah who used to be in charge of updating the Gaelic and Hurling results on the teletext on a Sunday - let's just say that I never took any result as read; for his own amusement he used to post incorrect scores, especially if he had a mate in a county who was particularly anxious about a result.  Also used to write previews on inter-county matches for the teletext - has to be seen to be believed, I reckon he was using it as a personal 'Facebook' before his time.  Space cadet; now moved up to bigger and better things in the national broadcasting company. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

theticklemister

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 23, 2012, 02:01:28 PM
Quote from: AQMP on October 23, 2012, 01:35:16 PM

I know the fellah who used to be in charge of updating the Gaelic and Hurling results on the teletext on a Sunday - let's just say that I never took any result as read; for his own amusement he used to post incorrect scores, especially if he had a mate in a county who was particularly anxious about a result.  Also used to write previews on inter-county matches for the teletext - has to be seen to be believed, I reckon he was using it as a personal 'Facebook' before his time.  Space cadet; now moved up to bigger and better things in the national broadcasting company.

I woulda loved that job!!!

aye the results were terrible, ye could never take it as a given

ONeill

Yep - it was on full blast from 3pm til 5pm on a Saturday. Sometimes it'd flick to the page you were waiting on only for it to move on in 1/16th of a second because a goal at been updated at that very moment. Used to drive the sisters mad when I'd have the half-teletext/half-TV option on. I can remember some of the NFL or NHL scores on aertel would still read 0-0 to 0-0 two days later.

Was it Oracle that'd have about 120 pages on holidays? You see a deal and start to get the details down only for it to move on and you'd have to wait until it came around again. You'd have made and devoured a sandwich and a cup of tea in that time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

theticklemister

5 Sams

Quote from: Billys Boots on October 23, 2012, 12:27:19 PM
I remember bringing a business client (from the UK) into a pub in Swords for a pint one night - when we came into the bar, all the lads at the bar were glued to the telly, watching the match on Teletext.  Not a word, pure tension - very, very surreal.  Yer man never came back again!

Brilliant...and then there was the roar when one team scored and it appeared. Worse again was if they put up the score for the wrong team and the "correction" came up.
Another one was when "McMahon S/O 73min"appeared. Half the lads in the bar would mutter...."dirty b**tard" and the other half would shout "ah for fcuks sake ref!".

Surreal indeed.
The Aristocrat Years

No Soloing

Im glad to see that 'watching' games on teletext seems to have been normal. Entering the last few minutes of the matches on a Saturday afternoon led to great tension waiting for the page to change.

I remember watching on a Saturday around Easter 1996. A guy for Crewe scored a last minute goal to bring up an accumulator for me. It was £40something quid. I was on the dole in Belfast at the time. I used the winnings wisely to buy a bus ticket to Manchester to see a girl I had been out with a few times. We are married ten years now.

AZOffaly

Quote from: No Soloing on October 23, 2012, 04:11:04 PM
Im glad to see that 'watching' games on teletext seems to have been normal. Entering the last few minutes of the matches on a Saturday afternoon led to great tension waiting for the page to change.

I remember watching on a Saturday around Easter 1996. A guy for Crewe scored a last minute goal to bring up an accumulator for me. It was £40something quid. I was on the dole in Belfast at the time. I used the winnings wisely to buy a bus ticket to Manchester to see a girl I had been out with a few times. We are married ten years now.

That's a great first post :) Ceefax, bringing people together for 16 years :D

5 Sams

Only on the GAABOARD can a thread notifying people of deaths of famous people turn into a full scale conversation about Ceefax ???
The Aristocrat Years

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 23, 2012, 04:20:08 PM
Quote from: No Soloing on October 23, 2012, 04:11:04 PM

That's a great first post :) Ceefax, bringing people together for 16 years :D

But marrying a Manc! Aren't there laws against that kind of thing?

(Only us Liverpool supporters can read this, right?)

deiseach

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 23, 2012, 04:35:03 PM
Only on the GAABOARD can a thread notifying people of deaths of famous people turn into a full scale conversation about Ceefax ???

Given the elastic definition of 'famous' on this thread, the 'death' of Ceefax isn't much of a stretch.