Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ziggysego

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2012, 10:43:11 AM
Morgan Freeman?

That was just a twitter rumour during the week.
Testing Accessibility

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Declan

THE chairman of one of the country's most prominent GAA clubs has died from Creutzfeld-Jakob Disease (CJD).

Father-of-four Tom Murphy, pictured, chairman of Kilmacud Crokes in south Dublin, died late on Friday night just weeks after developing the rare disease.

He is survived by his wife Katrina, daughters Nicola and Bronagh, sons Sean and James, parents Tommy and Christina, and his brothers and sisters.

He passed away surrounded by family in St James's Hospital.

A spokesman for the club confirmed last night that Mr Murphy died following a short illness and said his death had caused shock among members.

"It is a devastating loss. He was very, very well liked. People are very shocked and upset," he said.

Mr Murphy, who was in his early 50s, was a solicitor and partner in the city centre practice of Hughes Murphy & Company since 1987.

He often acted on behalf of the Garda Representative Association and advised the organisation throughout the passing of legislation for the establishment of the Garda Ombudsman Commission.

He was originally from Sligo, where his family are heavily involved in Tubbercurry GAA club and his brother was chairman of the Sligo County Board.

He had been chairman of Kilmacud Crokes for the last two years, but had been involved at a parental level for many years, with his sons playing at both minor and senior level.

His funeral will take place on Wednesday after 10am Mass at the Church of St Therese in Mount Merrion.

Plans for a club tribute at the funeral are currently being finalised.

Some club fixtures were postponed over the weekend as a mark of respect. However, the 40th annual Kilmacud Crokes All-Ireland Hurling Sevens competition went ahead as planned on Saturday.

The club's hurling chairman, Peter Walsh, paid tribute to Mr Murphy while addressing the teams following the event.

"Even as we celebrate this great competition, today we do so with some sadness due to the untimely death of our club chairman Tom Murphy very late on Friday night.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time," he said.

Earlier, there had been a minute's silence during coaching sessions for the club's youngsters.

CJD is a rare and fatal condition that affects the brain and causes worsening brain damage over time. It affects one in every two million people annually.

The disease came to prominence in the 1990s following the discovery of a new variant linked to mad cow disease.

seafoid

These high profile CJD deaths are very worrying . Dermot Earley also died of CJD and 1 in 2 million per year seems a bit on the low side. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Croí na hÉireann

Condolences to Kerry Mike and redandblack4ever on their losses. Haven't had time to check this thread in a while, sorry to hear about both.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

boojangles

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 12, 2012, 02:51:23 PM
Condolences to Kerry Mike and redandblack4ever on their losses. Haven't had time to check this thread in a while, sorry to hear about both.

+1

Condolences to both Mike and redabdblack4ever.

balladmaker

QuoteCondolences to Kerry Mike and redandblack4ever on their losses. Haven't had time to check this thread in a while, sorry to hear about both

+2

Sorry for both of your losses Kerry Mike & redandblack4ever, my condolences.

Dougal Maguire

Veteran broadcaster Derek Jameson has died aged 82. He edited the Daily Express, the Daily Star and the News of the World and was also managing editor of the Daily Mirror and was a presenter on BBC Radio 2
Careful now

mouview

Professor Sid Watkins, nedic to Formula 1 for many years. Attended the scene of Senna's fatal crash and perhaps saved Hakinen when he performed an emergency trachtoptomy (sp.?) on him following a big shunt.

ziggysego

I hear that Ulster Rugby player, Nevin Spence, his brother and father were the three that died in the slurry accident in Co. Down this afternoon. Terrible news. RIP
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on September 15, 2012, 10:22:41 PM
I hear that Ulster Rugby player, Nevin Spence, his brother and father were the three that died in the slurry accident in Co. Down this afternoon. Terrible news. RIP
Aye sister was the 4th but luckily survived. Devastating for that family.

trileacman

Becoming widely reported. My head is spinning at this news, a tragedy. A sister was rescue from the tank I believe. Between this and Brian Og Maguire's accident I just don't know what to say.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ziggysego

Quote from: trileacman on September 15, 2012, 10:40:06 PM

Becoming widely reported. My head is spinning at this news, a tragedy. A sister was rescue from the tank I believe. Between this and Brian Og Maguire's accident I just don't know what to say.

Ulster Rugby have just confirmed it.
Testing Accessibility

Aaron Boone