NFL Division 2 - 2020

Started by Captain Obvious, January 10, 2020, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

2nd week in a row we fk up a 6 point lead as we produce a 2nd half horror show.
Once Fermanagh started to play a bit we couldn't stop them as our lack of midfield and poor defence came to haunt us.
We're bottom of the League, lost yet another player to injury -Shane Killoran right after the throw in.
No sign of any of the injured lads playing any time soon.
We'll be gone from "Super8s" to not so super Tier 2 in 10 months at this rate.
I suppose if we have to lose might as well be to Fermanagh who are the nicest crowd of folks you could meet.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rudi

I would agree with all of that Rosfan, we rarely get a result in Brewster, still love the ground. Great atmosphere and the locals are fantastic. Even Arlene impressed me on the late late the other night. :) ;)

FermGael

That was some second half display today.
We scored 10 points in a half of football.
It's been a while since we have done that .

We showed Roscommon far too much repect in the first half. We defended too deep, let them have an easy short kickout, let them build from the back  and gave away 5 frees through terrible tackling

Second half was a completely different story.
We pushed up on the Roscommon kickout which meant they had to go long. We easily had the upper hand in midfield and started to work ourselves into the game. We turned them over and we left men up the field .  We committed to the attack and went at Roscommon.
We also kicked some lovely scores. Conal Jones and Ciaran Corrigan are proving to be a very capable full forward line and both kicked some very crucial scores.
A very important 2 points considering the rest of the results this weekend.
Massive game next weekend away to Westmeath.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

macdanger2

F*cking Armagh, only team of 5 to let me down  >:( Thought they were a banker

balladmaker

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 02, 2020, 10:24:05 PM
F*cking Armagh, only team of 5 to let me down  >:( Thought they were a banker

Rule of thumb, Armagh are never a banker no matter who they play ... Armagh's opposition are also never a banker .... all depends on what Armagh show up .... best avoided in any bet.

balladmaker

Impressed by Laois last night, no. 15 Evan O'Carroll is a class act.  Was good to see Ross Munnelly coming on ... how many years has he been lining out for Laois at this stage.

Armagh poor apart from a few minutes at start of second half when they pulled it back to three.  Being sat amongst a large Armagh contingent, a lot of complaints about the ref ... thoughts on the ref last night?  Laois deserving winners through and through irrespective.

With the other results today, Div 2 going to be on a knife edge right up to the last round.  Next weekend v Kildare is now a must win game for Armagh ... and Kildare.

Throw ball

Thoughts on Referee. He was out of his depth. For the most part you had to wait for him to point before you knew which way the free was going. His timekeeping was extremely suspect too. To his credit though he wasnt biased- he got things wrong for both teams.

The great problem with Gealic football - who is the referee seems to determine how the rules are applied. Last week Armagh played a physical game with Cavan with no real angst among the players. Yesterday chess looked more physical and players - most particularly Armagh players - got extremely frustrated with the decisions.

High Fielder

Armagh looked over worked to me. McGeeney does that occasionally and McNulty did it a few times when he was over us. We took to the pitch one day against Louth and we couldn't move. Armagh looked over conditioned and slow. It was noticeable how much shirt pulling they engaged in, and the break was a real problem for them. They had obvious advantages in midfield, and used it sparingly. I was delighted and surprised to get the win, but seriously underwhelmed by Armagh. They're better than that I'd imagine

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Throw ball on February 02, 2020, 11:05:38 PM
Thoughts on Referee. He was out of his depth. For the most part you had to wait for him to point before you knew which way the free was going. His timekeeping was extremely suspect too. To his credit though he wasnt biased- he got things wrong for both teams.

The great problem with Gealic football - who is the referee seems to determine how the rules are applied. Last week Armagh played a physical game with Cavan with no real angst among the players. Yesterday chess looked more physical and players - most particularly Armagh players - got extremely frustrated with the decisions.

So if one referee allows the more physical side of tackles go you play that way, when you've a referee who is a stickler for not allowing rough play you adopt? Are players that thick that they can't adopt to the style of certain referees?

You'll never get consistency, ever, players ain't consistent managers ain't consistent, different if the ref is only giving decisions one way, but if he's not then the players need to adopt to gain advantage
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Throw ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2020, 11:44:10 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on February 02, 2020, 11:05:38 PM

So if one referee allows the more physical side of tackles go you play that way, when you've a referee who is a stickler for not allowing rough play you adopt? Are players that thick that they can't adopt to the style of certain referees?

You'll never get consistency, ever, players ain't consistent managers ain't consistent, different if the ref is only giving decisions one way, but if he's not then the players need to adopt to gain advantage

It is hard to disagree with the core of your argument. What I was trying to suggest was that Cassidy, Brannigan , McQuillian, Hurson, Coldrick , Gough etc. all referee by letting a certain level of physical play go. In general they referee Division 1 games. In Division 2 they referee some games while the rest are refereed by a variety of referees that referee in a way that bears little resemblance to each other. A certain level of inconsistency is expected between referees but the general approach to the game should always be consistent.

I typed and then deleted a number of things I consider he did wrong. I deleted them because i don't want to try him on a public forum. He may become a good referee if the powers that be coach him to correct the things he is weakest on. The one thing i want to stress though is that he was equitable to both teams.

armaghniac

Quote from: High Fielder on February 02, 2020, 11:37:11 PM
Armagh looked over worked to me. McGeeney does that occasionally and McNulty did it a few times when he was over us. We took to the pitch one day against Louth and we couldn't move. Armagh looked over conditioned and slow. It was noticeable how much shirt pulling they engaged in, and the break was a real problem for them. They had obvious advantages in midfield, and used it sparingly. I was delighted and surprised to get the win, but seriously underwhelmed by Armagh. They're better than that I'd imagine

It has long been noticeable that Armagh play as if knackered one week and with more pep in their step other weeks, and that is likely related to their training regime which sometimes puts in work directed at summer fitness and not their ability to play on the following  Sunday. That won't cure the shirt pulling and general flapping around while tackling, of course.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AFM

Quote from: armaghniac on February 03, 2020, 12:50:39 AM
Quote from: High Fielder on February 02, 2020, 11:37:11 PM

It has long been noticeable that Armagh play as if knackered one week and with more pep in their step other weeks, and that is likely related to their training regime which sometimes puts in work directed at summer fitness and not their ability to play on the following  Sunday. That won't cure the shirt pulling and general flapping around while tackling, of course.

I thought the key point was how reluctant Geezer was to introduce changes, it was plain for all to see after 20 minutes time for changes, Armagh had Burns, Clarke, Morgan, Hall, Nugent, McElroy all warming the bench - how far do Armagh have to be behind before alarm bells ring?

illdecide

I could copy and paste the following every year...lol. Armagh are so consistently inconsistent it's not even funny, we can beat anyone on our day but the following week get beat easily by the team who have no right to be on the same pitch (that's only a bit of craic) but you get what i'm saying. So what's the problem? Are they over trained?, are they under trained?, are they sneaking out on the beer (highly unlikely), are they not professional enough? (doubt that). How can you be so good one week and so bad the next?
I do think Armagh are improving slowly but we are still a few players short, we seem to have a decent forward line but as i posted before another really good midfielder and more importantly 2 quality defenders, what are they thoughts on Armagh's no 1? is he good enough and if not have we a better option available.
Armagh always give you a roller-coaster ride and bar the early noughties were we were very consistent it has always been up and down for many a year and it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon, i suppose the buzz of following them not knowing how you'll play and if you win or not will always keep you on your toes, we're the only team i know if we were 5pts up with 2 mins to play we'd be biting our nails before it was over ;D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

redsetanta

Munnelly's championship debut was in 2003. Into his 18th year playing for Laois!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Unlaoised

Quote from: redsetanta on February 03, 2020, 02:14:41 PM
Munnelly's championship debut was in 2003. Into his 18th year playing for Laois!

Some record

Talk of Roscommon missing players

Laois are .missing stacks from the panel aswell

Captain fantastic Stephen Attride
All star nominee keeper Brody
Portlaoise Gareth Dillion prob their most consistent defender in last year's.

Ex Ozzie rules player and former captain Colm Begley

Two twin Towers in Brendan Quigley and Kevin Meaney both retired just recently

Their marque forward the Giant Donie Kingston and the top scorer from play for them in last year's championship his brother Paul Kingston

The list goes on

LAOIS ABÚ