MOT query

Started by God14, June 12, 2017, 09:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

God14

Car up for mot in the morning.
Tore house upside down, cant find v5c form
Is this essential? Can I get the test without it ?

Minder

Quote from: God14 on June 12, 2017, 09:24:01 PM
Car up for mot in the morning.
Tore house upside down, cant find v5c form
Is this essential? Can I get the test without it ?

Had mine last week in Balmoral and they didn't ask for any paperwork
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

brokencrossbar1

So long as you get there on time and get into the right lane you're grand. Never had any paperwork

Tony Baloney

I have never been asked for any paperwork. Turn up at the right time in the right lane and the only thing you'll get asked for is your mileage.

Tony Baloney

Sound advice there from BC1  ;D

5 Sams

Dont make the same mistake I made. Booked the car into Armagh a few years ago for the MOT. Was turned down on "rusty brake pipes". Brought it back to the mechanic..he said he couldnt find anything wrong with it. Put it through the retest in Newry without doing anything to it. Sailed through. The lad in the Newry MOT centre looked at me wild..said there was nothing wrong with the pipes..he couldnt believe it. I thought tyhe original decision might have had something to do with the copy of the Irish News and the GAA jacket on the back seat but I couldnt possibly comment :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

BTW I agree with BC1 and the others...no paperwork needed.
The Aristocrat Years

Windmill abu

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 12, 2017, 09:50:39 PM
Dont make the same mistake I made. Booked the car into Armagh a few years ago for the MOT. Was turned down on "rusty brake pipes". Brought it back to the mechanic..he said he couldnt find anything wrong with it. Put it through the retest in Newry without doing anything to it. Sailed through. The lad in the Newry MOT centre looked at me wild..said there was nothing wrong with the pipes..he couldnt believe it. I thought tyhe original decision might have had something to do with the copy of the Irish News and the GAA jacket on the back seat but I couldnt possibly comment :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

Do you think he was a shinner and thought you were a stoop?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Frank_The_Tank

Also i have never taken car for MOT car wash before taking it to Test centre.  As long as it isnt completely covered in dirt that MOT wash is a complete waste of money IMO
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on June 12, 2017, 11:48:12 PM
Also i have never taken car for MOT car wash before taking it to Test centre.  As long as it isnt completely covered in dirt that MOT wash is a complete waste of money IMO

I never have either but I know that in the country areas the amount of shite that accumulates on the undercarriage can make it very difficult for the examiner to see. It could make the decision for them on a touch and go and a mechanic who worked as an examiner before told me that

Tony Baloney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 13, 2017, 09:45:45 AM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on June 12, 2017, 11:48:12 PM

I never have either but I know that in the country areas the amount of shite that accumulates on the undercarriage can make it very difficult for the examiner to see. It could make the decision for them on a touch and go and a mechanic who worked as an examiner before told me that
I was told before if I came back with the undercarriage dirty they'd send me home as they can't see splits in the brake pipes. The examiner had to clean them with a cloth.  :-[

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 5 Sams on June 12, 2017, 09:50:39 PM

Id the opposite happen, years ago when the MOT testers were on strike and there was a back backlog I'd to go to Downpatrick to get the car MOT'd, usual, never did a thing to the car beforehand, let them fail it first before doing any work...

got there and was chatting to the examinier and he noticed the hurls and kit bags in the boot from the team... GAA man he was and the car was failing in a couple of minor points, he let me know what they were  and told me the wheel is off the hub and made sure I put the wheel on properly and set me on my way!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Taylor

No paperwork required.

Get there early. If the car is a few years old not worth your while doing anything to it - see what they fail it on first.

playwiththewind1st

Was in Boucher Road a few Saturdays ago. Brought everything needed, in terms of  paperwork, wasn't asked for anything. The day you don't bring it will be the day you'll be asked for it!

God14

Anyhow thanks for the info. Car passed mot and I was never asked for any paperwork tg

armaghniac

When Ireland is united you will have to bring your paperwork, and get a proper test of the yoke too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B