Ulster Club IFC/JFC 2023

Started by DownFanatic, September 19, 2023, 12:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavan19

Some amount of drivel been posted here about a county and teams that have been playing within the rules of competitions.

ranch

Quote from: general_lee on November 27, 2023, 07:46:51 AM
Quote from: ranch on November 26, 2023, 09:39:59 PM
Quote from: general_lee on November 26, 2023, 09:26:45 PM
Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on November 26, 2023, 07:56:57 PMMassive win for Cullyhanna today v Liatroim. Sad to see Armagh abusing the system and senior team playing intermediate but thats what Cavan Club teams are up against.

I for one will be supporting Ballyhaise the underdog in the final.

Cullyhanna were the 18th placed team in the Armagh league structures this season. No cooking the books in Armagh, unlike Cavan.

Do you think if every club in Armagh are at full strength that they're the 18th best team in the county? Personally, I don't. They would push, and probably beat, teams such as Mullabawn, Dromintee, Silverbridge. The fact they're in intermediate due to a poor league performance in 2022, when they were short of their best players, shows why league and championship shouldn't be linked in my view.

Good luck to Cullyhanna in the final, it would be great to see them get a crack at an all Ireland.
At full strength they're a similar standard of about 10 teams in Armagh who'd all beat each other on any given day. They were short their best players for near 15 years and stayed senior that entire time. They'd a few extra men unavailable for one reason or another last year and got relegated. Not like any eyebrows were raised, they then lost 4 times in the 3rd tier of the leagues this year which IMO shows that was their level.

Fair enough, if you're happy with the system in place then that's grand. We'll have to agree to disagree as there's little value in me repeating myself as to why I don't like it, I doubt I'll change your mind, or vice versa.

Itchy

Quote from: clarshack on November 26, 2023, 11:49:03 PM
Quote from: ranch on November 26, 2023, 10:08:55 PMAnd also against a Monaghan club winning the Ulster Junior about 10 years ago for playing an underage player.

Corduff played an U-16 player in the 2010 Ulster Junior Final and were stripped of their title. Ridiculous rule to appeal but that's what happens. Swanlinbar ended up getting a hiding from the Kerry Champions. Some sort of Karma I Suppose.

Yes Corduff should have been allowed break that rule and everyone should have ignored it. Swanlinbar had some good U16s too that year but they adhered to the rule but I agree that Corduff should be allowed break the rule and Swad should be made stick to it. Some quare whingy feckers on this thread.

Westside

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on November 26, 2023, 07:56:57 PMMassive win for Cullyhanna today v Liatroim. Sad to see Armagh abusing the system and senior team playing intermediate but thats what Cavan Club teams are up against.

The team that finished second in the third tier of league football in the Armagh leagues.

Cullyhanna were the 18th placed team in the Armagh league structures this season. No cooking the books in Armagh, unlike Cavan.

Other counties are cooking the books. Sending senior and intermediate championship sides to intermediate and junior Ulster Competitions because of meaningless league standing.

You'll not catch us sending Killygarry to Intermediate or Denn back to junior because of their standing in a second rate competition.

We never linked league and championship. Other counties too used to walking over Cavan sides in Ulster, don't have it all their own way for a few years and cry foul.

intheknowhow

Quote from: Westside on November 27, 2023, 08:35:12 AM

The team that finished second in the third tier of league football in the Armagh leagues.

Other counties are cooking the books. Sending senior and intermediate championship sides to intermediate and junior Ulster Competitions because of meaningless league standing.

You'll not catch us sending Killygarry to Intermediate or Denn back to junior because of their standing in a second rate competition.

We never linked league and championship. Other counties too used to walking over Cavan sides in Ulster, don't have it all their own way for a few years and cry foul.

Please give examples

Smokin Joe

Quote from: general_lee on November 27, 2023, 07:46:51 AM

Do you think if every club in Armagh are at full strength that they're the 18th best team in the county? Personally, I don't. They would push, and probably beat, teams such as Mullabawn, Dromintee, Silverbridge. The fact they're in intermediate due to a poor league performance in 2022, when they were short of their best players, shows why league and championship shouldn't be linked in my view.

Good luck to Cullyhanna in the final, it would be great to see them get a crack at an all Ireland.
At full strength they're a similar standard of about 10 teams in Armagh who'd all beat each other on any given day. They were short their best players for near 15 years and stayed senior that entire time. They'd a few extra men unavailable for one reason or another last year and got relegated. Not like any eyebrows were raised, they then lost 4 times in the 3rd tier of the leagues this year which IMO shows that was their level.

In fairness they suffered most of their league defeats with the 3 county men away. They turned into a different team after Armagh were knocked out this summer; at intermediate level the county players make such a difference - as you would hope / expect.

Westside

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 27, 2023, 08:46:42 AM

Please give examples

Are you doubting that teams have ended up going down a championship grade because of league standing?

intheknowhow

Quote from: Westside on November 27, 2023, 09:17:44 AM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 27, 2023, 08:46:42 AM

Please give examples

Are you doubting that teams have ended up going down a championship grade because of league standing?

It's how it should be. If you ain't good enough you ain't good enough,none of this oh we are a senior champ team but the league dosnt matter. Swallow your pride.

Westside

Grand so we'd be sending Denn (Div 3 this year, won Ulster Junior 2 years ago and intermediate finalists this year) and Killygarry (top 4 senior team, brought Gowna to a replay this year, will be playing Div 2 next year).

To be clear, you're happy with that?

intheknowhow

Quote from: Westside on November 27, 2023, 09:45:31 AMGrand so we'd be sending Denn (Div 3 this year, won Ulster Junior 2 years ago and intermediate finalists this year) and Killygarry (top 4 senior team, brought Gowna to a replay this year, will be playing Div 2 next year).

To be clear, you're happy with that?

Yes providing they win their appropriate championship. If Denn div 3, won the junior champ. Killygarry the same, win the intermediate champ and you send the right.

InnocentByStander

Arva stroll to a Ulster junior championship, pretends to be shocked...

Armagh18

They've been poor in the league for a few years and deservedly relegated. Didn't do much in the senior championship either in those years. They've got the house in order now and would expect them to go well in 1B next year and be one of the teams to challenge Cross.

Dreadnought

Quote from: intheknowhow on November 26, 2023, 10:34:48 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 26, 2023, 09:21:10 PM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 26, 2023, 08:08:33 PM

They play in the 3rd Division in Armagh. Ballyhaise Div 1.
Are you ok fella? You're quite obsessed on this...

Well you are defending that it's totally fine that your 3 representatives in Ulster this year play Div 1 football in Cavan. You can talk all you want but think about that .....
It has been explained to you many times that they are unlinked here, and that clubs are in the Championship they are in on merit. Like how Arva got relegated from Intermediate in 2021 and losing the Junior final last year means they were not good enough before this as their Championship form showed. Your inability to grasp simple facts and coming crying on here is very weird

Dreadnought

Quote from: clarshack on November 26, 2023, 11:49:03 PM
Quote from: ranch on November 26, 2023, 10:08:55 PMAnd also against a Monaghan club winning the Ulster Junior about 10 years ago for playing an underage player.

Corduff played an U-16 player in the 2010 Ulster Junior Final and were stripped of their title. Ridiculous rule to appeal but that's what happens. Swanlinbar ended up getting a hiding from the Kerry Champions. Some sort of Karma I Suppose.
So clubs should be allowed break the rules willy nilly? From memory, Swanlinbar were down quite a lot of players, and had some good U16 players but did not pick them as thems the rules. Corduff broke it and got benefit from it. What exactly is your point here?

intheknowhow

Quote from: Dreadnought on November 27, 2023, 10:22:13 AM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 26, 2023, 10:34:48 PM
Quote from: Dreadnought on November 26, 2023, 09:21:10 PM
Quote from: intheknowhow on November 26, 2023, 08:08:33 PM

They play in the 3rd Division in Armagh. Ballyhaise Div 1.
Are you ok fella? You're quite obsessed on this...

Well you are defending that it's totally fine that your 3 representatives in Ulster this year play Div 1 football in Cavan. You can talk all you want but think about that .....
It has been explained to you many times that they are unlinked here, and that clubs are in the Championship they are in on merit. Like how Arva got relegated from Intermediate in 2021 and losing the Junior final last year means they were not good enough before this as their Championship form showed. Your inability to grasp simple facts and coming crying on here is very weird

Do you not think playing div 1 football gives them an unfair advantage? You are the one not seeing the full picture here