Football team of the 90s

Started by theticklemister, August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2018, 12:12:35 AM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on August 16, 2018, 12:01:20 AM
I'd pick about 10 of that team while have Kenneth Mortimer,Martin O'Connell,Michael Donnellan,Declan Browne,Greg Blaney on my team of the 90s.

Which three of that forward line would you leave out for Browne, Donnellan and Blaney? (Though I was a huge fan of Blaney)

Browne ahead Graham Geraghty. Donnellan instead Corkery and even though Linden was a top player also i would give the nod to Blaney before him.

BennyCake

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: theticklemister on August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM
Just looking at the recently announced hurling team of the 90s made my mouth water. Some players. Hope they release football one. Gonna have a stab at it.
Gonna be miles out , but here we go...

1. John O'Leary
2. Tony Scullion
3. Darren Fay
4. Keith Barr
5. Paul Curran
6. Henry Downey
7. Seamus Moynahin
8. Anthony Tohill
9. John McDermott
10. Trevor Giles
11. Maurice Fitzgerald
12. Graham Gerghty
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Colin Corkery

Be kind!!

Kenneth Mortimer ?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

shark

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 15, 2018, 11:45:50 PM
Would have Keith Barr and Stephen O'Brien ahead of him at 6

Stephen O'Brien 100%. Cork won more Munster's than Kerry in the 90's. He was their best player. Won 3 all stars.

dlgael

To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.

mup

Quote from: theticklemister on August 16, 2018, 12:03:20 AM
Declan Browne and Michael Donnellan could be great adds. Greg blanket better in the 80s.

The original Blanket football.  :o

From my own county Glen Ryan has to be there. And Declan Kerrigan was much underrated.

TheGreatest

what about everybody's favourite person Jim Gavin!

seafoid

Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2018, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: dlgael on August 16, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.
Canavan was better in the 90s
I agree

Others I would suggest are James Nallen, Anthony Tohill, wee James McCartan, Ja Fallon and Charlie Redmond
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 08:27:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2018, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: dlgael on August 16, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
Canavan was better in the 90s
I agree

Others I would suggest are James Nallen, Anthony Tohill, wee James McCartan, Ja Fallon and Charlie Redmond
Charlie shouldn't be within an asses roar of that team!!  Kieran McKeever would be worthy of consideration - thought he was a great corner back.

The Subbie

BennyHarp

Has anyone mentioned Joe Brolly yet? 
That was never a square ball!!

Jinxy

If Graham Geraghty isn't in your team, do you even like gaelic football?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: theticklemister on August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM
Just looking at the recently announced hurling team of the 90s made my mouth water. Some players. Hope they release football one. Gonna have a stab at it.
Gonna be miles out , but here we go...

1. John O'Leary
2. Tony Scullion
3. Darren Fay
4. Keith Barr
5. Paul Curran
6. Henry Downey
7. Seamus Moynahin
8. Anthony Tohill
9. John McDermott
10. Trevor Giles
11. Maurice Fitzgerald
12. Graham Gerghty
13. Mickey Linden
14. Peter Canavan
15. Colin Corkery

Be kind!!

Good effort that and would make up most of my own team of the nineties. As an Armagh man, I would have no issue with the Derry representation and indeed I would suggest there is an argument for Johnny McGurk to be included, but Tony Scullion and Tohill would be an absolute shoo-ins.

Jinxy

Seamus Moynihan would make the noughties team but he shouldn't be on the nineties team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Pat McEnaney's performance for Meath in the 96 replay would surely have him ahead of John McDermott?