Foreign appreciation of GAA?

Started by 30mog, August 09, 2013, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Any craic

'The new GAA' - Asia is now up there with the USA, GB and Australia. See new Video from the 2013 Asian Gaelic Games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egpfPIvv5ys

ballinaman

Ken Early posted this from a German soccer magazine he got in Berlin last week after the Irish game in Poznan..."Blood,Sweat and Whiskey" ???

Eamonnca1

"Our players have come from various backgrounds. We have a professional bull-fighter, two wrestlers, a body-builder, a lacrosse player to name but a few, and we have players from Ireland, USA, Finland, Austria, Germany and Denmark. The challenge is to make them into a team who can play hurling."

Hurling at the University of Montana.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 05, 2013, 03:43:12 AM
"Our players have come from various backgrounds. We have a professional bull-fighter, two wrestlers, a body-builder, a lacrosse player to name but a few, and we have players from Ireland, USA, Finland, Austria, Germany and Denmark. The challenge is to make them into a team who can play hurling."

Hurling at the University of Montana.

Sounds just like the Clare team of the mid 90s.

Eamonnca1

2013 North American GAA finals, extended edition.  Includes new footage, more interviews, and an extensive interview with Liam O'Neill on his vision for the future of Gaelic games in North America. Should play on mobile platforms.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ardal

Tony Bass,

a great man for the GAA in Europe. Wild craic into the bargain

Zulu

Just watched it there and it was brilliant so well done Eamonn on filming and editing such a great video. The US sets the bar for all international sections in many ways, though Aisa seem to do a top class job too. The different international bodies have different challenges and where challenges are similar sometimes the solutions have to be different but I firmly believe that there has to be an element of joined up thinking between international bodies. Europe and Britain need to link up better for example.

What I will say is that the president seems to say all the right things at these events but is doing little to back them up with real initiatives. Furthermore, I don't think the GAA (at home) engages well with international bodies in terms of developing a pathway for the games future. I'm heavily involved in my club and county and would have spoken to those administrating at high levels and nobody seems to have a blue clue what the GAA abroad is meant to look like  in 3 or 5 years time.

Eamonnca1

theticklemister

Emyvale and Ballinderry managers came out openly and said the putch was a mess and so were the facilities. I think this is a bit harsh and down right disrespectful to the respective county boards.

AZOffaly

I see Michael Duignan said Fullen Gaels were deserved winners against Ballinamere in the intermediate semi final (hurling). Well done to them.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 16, 2013, 12:16:28 PM
I see Michael Duignan said Fullen Gaels were deserved winners against Ballinamere in the intermediate semi final (hurling). Well done to them.
*He says through gritted teeth*. I think they were beaten finalists last year (well, this year!) so obviously no whipping boys.

AZOffaly

Yeah, I'd have liked to see an Offaly team progressing, but the british teams are not easy beat in these lower tier competitions, so fair play to them. How do you solve lockjaw?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 16, 2013, 02:11:02 PM
Yeah, I'd have liked to see an Offaly team progressing, but the british teams are not easy beat in these lower tier competitions, so fair play to them. How do you solve lockjaw?
Waiting for Laoislad to arrive in telling us that 2 British teams playing each other in the next round...