The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

The Claw head stamp all those years ago wasnt for the screamish either!!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 22, 2016, 10:41:46 PM
That Warburton tackle against France wasn't a full on spear, although he did drop him from height. Go and watch it back. The BOD spear was brutal in comparison.

Wildweasel74

Awhile back a few we giving out about the all-blacks wouldn't be as strong with out the islanders (turns out nearly all them were born in New Zealand), and more recently the mercenary tendencies of the England rugby team to play any blown in to win which seems to ahem taken epic proportions with them the past 8 years or so.

Had a quick check on our lads, bloody hell we got both teams beaten hands down, fair few of Irish guys were actually born outside of Ireland plus an odd immigrant to our green lands. got 9 on the panel, on the plus note Van der Flier is as Irish as they come, Never judge on a name !!!

screenexile

Got offered a ticket for the match on Saturday can't wait for it!!

Keep an eye out for me Bomber I'll be the lad in the Derry hat belting out Irelands call!!

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 22, 2016, 10:54:12 PM
That Warburton tackle against France wasn't a full on spear, although he did drop him from height. Go and watch it back. The BOD spear was brutal in comparison.

That BOD spear tackle was assault. 41 seconds into the game off the ball. The c@nt Tana  claims there was no intent that it was just one of those things in rugby and was implying that O Driscol was a cry baby. He actually believes he was the victim of a media witch hunt. That incident kind of sums up rugbys flippant attitude to dirty play and player welfare. The guy should have been told to hang up his boots end of.

Applesisapples

All Blacks won on Saturday because they could score tries and Ireland couldn't. What was apparent though is that when you take key players out of the team, through injury it seems to have a negative effect on the performance. I don't know enough about rugby to judge whether this is to do with a lack of depth, disruption to the game plan or a mix of both. What was interesting though was on discussing the game with two Ulster supporting ex rugby players both felt that Jackson is not in Sexton's league. They also felt that he won't ever be good enough to nail down that position.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 23, 2016, 10:32:02 AM
All Blacks won on Saturday because they could score tries and Ireland couldn't. What was apparent though is that when you take key players out of the team, through injury it seems to have a negative effect on the performance. I don't know enough about rugby to judge whether this is to do with a lack of depth, disruption to the game plan or a mix of both. What was interesting though was on discussing the game with two Ulster supporting ex rugby players both felt that Jackson is not in Sexton's league. They also felt that he won't ever be good enough to nail down that position.

While Paddy has improved and gives his all he's just not at the level of Sexton. Even for Ulster he misses simple kicks. I think long term Carberry will be Ireland's 10. He needs to improve his goal kicking though. That can be worked on however. 2-3 years ago Barrett couldn't hit a barn door for NZ.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 23, 2016, 10:35:04 AM

While Paddy has improved and gives his all he's just not at the level of Sexton. Even for Ulster he misses simple kicks. I think long term Carberry will be Ireland's 10. He needs to improve his goal kicking though. That can be worked on however. 2-3 years ago Barrett couldn't hit a barn door for NZ.

Its not all Jacksons fault this current Irish team are very good but there still seems to be a lack of mental toughness at times throughout the team, NZ were there for the taking but we seemed to lose our cool everytime we got close to the line and that had nothing to do with Jackson. The collapse against SA in the second test in the summer is all the more annoyong now as we see just how fecked SA really are. Looking forward to the game between SA and Wales 2 teams who seem to be in a complete mess at the moment should be enteraining!

Main Street

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 23, 2016, 06:44:32 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 22, 2016, 10:54:12 PM

That BOD spear tackle was assault. 41 seconds into the game off the ball. The c@nt Tana  claims there was no intent that it was just one of those things in rugby and was implying that O Driscol was a cry baby. He actually believes he was the victim of a media witch hunt. That incident kind of sums up rugbys flippant attitude to dirty play and player welfare. The guy should have been told to hang up his boots end of.
And the All Blacks approached the game against Ireland with the exact same attitude and cynical effect, then afterwards the NZ press  do outraged somersaults (outdoing their aussie nasal neighbors in whining) when those cynical methods are castigated, as in how dare you losers criticize the great All Blacks.

How would the All Blacks react in a game if they were reasonably certain that one of their top players would be deliberately taken out in the first minute and the video ref happened to be rule retarded? What's the norm in rugby?
Were the irish team ill prepared for that real potential of targeted violence from the All Blacks?

screenexile

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 23, 2016, 10:35:04 AM

I think we're being a bit sore on Jackson very early in this career. . . Sexton got his first cap at aged 24 while Jackson now has 18 caps at the same stage.

When Sexton came on the scene all the talk was that he wasn't as good as O'Gara and would never be (serious amount of chat about it on here) yet he went from strength to strength. I wouldn't rule out Jackson completely he has a lot of improving to do and I think he can do that under Schmidt. Sexton has another year or 2 left  and then Jackson and Carberry will be fighting it out among themselves which I think should be great having 2 young out halves for a change!

PS. What's happening with Hanrahan and Madigan?

Walter Cronc

Sexton was very raw then SE but still showed glimpses in attack that I just don't think Paddy has in his locker. We will see though and it'll be great to have 2 young out halfs battling it out over the next 6-7 years. Hopefully Jonny can make it to RWC 2019. We just need to manage him correctly like NZ did with Carter 2013 - 2015. We don't have the luxury they have mind you. Bleyendaal could challenge also when he becomes eligible next year. Looked unreal in that European game v Glasgow

Madigan I think is going well at Bordeaux. Hanrahan has regressed big time at Northampton. Myler and now Mallinder are ahead of him the queue for the 10 spot.

oisinog

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 23, 2016, 11:33:12 AM
Sexton was very raw then SE but still showed glimpses in attack that I just don't think Paddy has in his locker. We will see though and it'll be great to have 2 young out halfs battling it out over the next 6-7 years. Hopefully Jonny can make it to RWC 2019. We just need to manage him correctly like NZ did with Carter 2013 - 2015. We don't have the luxury they have mind you. Bleyendaal could challenge also when he becomes eligible next year. Looked unreal in that European game v Glasgow

Madigan I think is going well at Bordeaux. Hanrahan has regressed big time at Northampton. Myler and now Mallinder are ahead of him the queue for the 10 spot.

If you want Ulster week in week out Paddy does have a good eye for attack, the game plan for Ireland suits Sexton better than Paddy and thats the big difference. Though the Ireland managment do change the game plan to suit what midfield pairing he has in place.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: oisinog on November 23, 2016, 11:57:11 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 23, 2016, 11:33:12 AM

If you want Ulster week in week out Paddy does have a good eye for attack, the game plan for Ireland suits Sexton better than Paddy and thats the big difference. Though the Ireland managment do change the game plan to suit what midfield pairing he has in place.

I do watch Ulster week in, week out. I just don't think Paddy is international class. He's a safe bet but I'd prefer my 10 to have an eye for a gap and play a bit off the cuff. If you are going to be a safe bet in the Owen Farrell mode then you need to be an unbelievable kicker, which Paddy isn't. We can agree to disagree.

The Stallion

Any plans to respond to my post addressing your accusation that I'm pretending to be a Glen man Walter?

Been over 24 hours now and you've been very quiet on the matter.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: The Stallion on November 23, 2016, 12:29:51 PM
Any plans to respond to my post addressing your accusation that I'm pretending to be a Glen man Walter?

Been over 24 hours now and you've been very quiet on the matter.

Negative.