hire cars!

Started by Milltown Row2, May 07, 2010, 09:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

heading off to Spain in the summer (volcano permitting :o) but was wondering should i hire a car now and hope flights will be fine come July or will i have no problem hiring a car at the airport (Barcelona) at the same price and availability?

seems £500 is the price for a two week hire, is that steep? also they are saying kids booster seats (no joke minder ;)) is £7 per day! two kids £15 per day i'll have no money left. can you get air booster seats that you can stick in your case?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mournerambler

I remember reading about this local lady a few weeks back, think she got some sort of award for this invention.

http://www.madeformums.com/hot-stuff/worlds-first-inflatable-car-booster-seat/5403.html

Milltown Row2

cheers mourne man, thats a saving of £160, not bad so far
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mylestheslasher

Book now. Heard horror stories about people trying to hire cars when that volcano had the flights grounded.

ardal

Pick up a booster sit in Barcelona for about €20, why hire?

Be careful about who you hire from, the likes of Easycar are really affordable, but not based at airport.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardal on May 07, 2010, 11:03:07 PM
Pick up a booster sit in Barcelona for about €20, why hire?

Be careful about who you hire from, the likes of Easycar are really affordable, but not based at airport.

Staying in a Keycamp place and a bit out of the way, so need a car! thats my problem with hiring car at airport prices changing cause of volcano.

ardal

Contact the Barcelona Gaels and see if they can advise you; as airports the world over rip you off. There's even the odd Antrim lad involved in the club if I remember rightly

Milltown Row2

Aye think he's a galls man or is he in Madrid ??? will give that a try

ardal

Aye, there's at least 2 of them Antrim hoors (only joking naturally). One in each city.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 07, 2010, 09:39:44 PM
heading off to Spain in the summer (volcano permitting :o) but was wondering should i hire a car now and hope flights will be fine come July or will i have no problem hiring a car at the airport (Barcelona) at the same price and availability?

seems £500 is the price for a two week hire, is that steep? also they are saying kids booster seats (no joke minder ;)) is £7 per day! two kids £15 per day i'll have no money left. can you get air booster seats that you can stick in your case?

Is that for an Audi?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

thewobbler

I've used travelsupermarket.com for the past few years as they just about always get you the best price.

From my experience rental companies in Spain aren't as precious about their cars as elsewhere. The car you get will have bumps and scratches and they expect a few more when you return; so extra insurance is a waste of time.

Just watch out for the fuel policy of who you're hiring from. Many of them now charge you for a full tank up front and you can leave it back empty. It's basically a tax.

Avoid easycar like the plague.

armaghniac

Car rental is Spain is fairly good value. Check out holidayautos and autoeurope. Check carefully what their rates include and then use these as benchmark for other deals, making sure that you are comparing like with like.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Real Laoislad

Anyone ever hired a car in America?
Will be in Vegas in September and was gonna hire a car to drive out to the Hoover Dam/Grand Canyon,was wondering are there many hidden costs when hiring a car in the States?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

J70

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 08, 2010, 08:12:25 PM
Anyone ever hired a car in America?
Will be in Vegas in September and was gonna hire a car to drive out to the Hoover Dam/Grand Canyon,was wondering are there many hidden costs when hiring a car in the States?

I haven't bothered getting a car yet since I moved to NYC (its great to live in a city where you don't need one!), so I rent fairly frequently.

The insurance they include is very basic. You have to pay for the extra options such as third party coverage, personal and proper vehicle damage/loss, which normally amounts to about 25-30 dollars a day in the New York area. Check the vendors themselves (Budget, Avis, Hertz, Enterprise etc) or try something like Expedia which can give you examples from multiple rental companies. Some credit card companies include rental coverage as a perk e.g. American Express.

American rental companies also charge extra for stuff like GPS navigators and child seats, which each cost about 10-15 dollars per day.

The Real Laoislad

Thanks J70, though I'll be on my Honeymoon so no need for a child seat just yet!
You'll Never Walk Alone.