Justice for the Magdalenes

Started by DuffleKing, October 25, 2020, 06:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1013/1171375-mother-baby-homes/

I searched and couldn't find a thread on this but forgive me if it is discussed elsewhere.

Can anyone explain the logic behind sealing the Mother and Baby Homes Commission report? if have no dog in this fight but seemed an astonishing step to take and thought there was relatively little coverage of same?

macdanger2

It's been fairly prominent on the news down here tbf. The supposed logic is that people spoke to the tribunal on the basis of confidentiality.

I'd have thought they could go back to each of the individuals and ask for permission to release their testimony and then publish whatever they're allowed to. I'd say the families involved are gutted

trileacman

I thought there was a GDPR angle to it to in that they'd be releasing peoples details without their consent. You can ask for your own relevant records I think but can't be given anyone elses.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 25, 2020, 06:11:04 PM

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1013/1171375-mother-baby-homes/

I searched and couldn't find a thread on this but forgive me if it is discussed elsewhere.

Can anyone explain the logic behind sealing the Mother and Baby Homes Commission report? if have no dog in this fight but seemed an astonishing step to take and thought there was relatively little coverage of same?

The story is that GDPR came along after the interviews and as they didn't ask people if they wanted their identities included or not they need to seal the records until they either change the law or contact everyone.

That is hotly disputed and seems to contradict the enabling legislation

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: trileacman on October 25, 2020, 07:36:35 PM
I thought there was a GDPR angle to it to in that they'd be releasing peoples details without their consent. You can ask for your own relevant records I think but can't be given anyone elses.

They were giving evidence to a public report. Consent was implied

magpie seanie

The issue is complex but the Department, AG and Government have got it wrong, have been told so by numerous parties (not just the opposition as disingenuously suggested by Lisa Chambers and others). In fact the Data Protection commission has told them what they've done is illegal. The President has effectively told people to challenge it. It's an absolute outrage and those who voted to do this in the Dáil and Seanad will carry the shame of this with them.

I'd ask/advise people to read/listen to articles/podcasts involving Dr Maeve O'Rourke, Claire McGettrick, Clann Project and others who have been involved in this for a long time.

Our State here has been sick for a long time. Some truths have emerged and some wrongs have been righted but the sickness isn't totally eradicated. Far from it.

Main Street

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 26, 2020, 02:54:58 PM
The issue is complex but the Department, AG and Government have got it wrong, have been told so by numerous parties (not just the opposition as disingenuously suggested by Lisa Chambers and others). In fact the Data Protection commission has told them what they've done is illegal. The President has effectively told people to challenge it. It's an absolute outrage and those who voted to do this in the Dáil and Seanad will carry the shame of this with them.

I'd ask/advise people to read/listen to articles/podcasts involving Dr Maeve O'Rourke, Claire McGettrick, Clann Project and others who have been involved in this for a long time.

Our State here has been sick for a long time. Some truths have emerged and some wrongs have been righted but the sickness isn't totally eradicated. Far from it.
What is the motive  behind the decision to seal?