Tyrone 2008

Started by tyroneman, August 14, 2007, 01:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Quote from: Wee Roddy on August 14, 2007, 04:25:39 PM
I think that John McConville should be looked at for midfield and not this full forward think that everyone is obsessing (sp)with, Cathal McCarron from Dromore and Peter Campbell from Coalisland. Talk of Paul Rafferty, Cathal McCarron from Omagh even Ronan McNally from Carrickmore really annoys me because none of these men will win a ball when the chips are down for their club so how would they win it against better players on county teams in the white heat of championship?

Agree with you there Roddy John needs to tried in the middle of the park and not at full forward. McCarron (Dromore) is possibly as good an option as there is for full back.

Tyrone Dreamer

Some potential players to give a runout to: Defenders: Cathal McCarron, PJ Quinn, Shane Sweeney (a must). Midfield: Play Colm Cavanagh and Justy McMahon during McKenna cup and early league to see how they do. Also Quinn from Derrylaughen is apparantly worth a look. Niall McGinn, Aidan McCarron, Gaby McCallan worth a go up front. Not any real new names here. There's bound to be a few boys not tried before that are worth a go. Would like to see Enda McGinley get a run at centre half back which could free Gormley for the full back line.

TyronePhilly

Cathal O'Neill is a quality footballer. He is out here at the minute playing for the Young Irelands.
He's playing in a different grade than us, but see quite a bit of him, damn good player.

Niall McGinn from Donaghmore.

Jason McAnulla from Omagh is only 19, but a class act, out here for our club at the minute.
Not saying that because he's out here for us. We happened to get him out through another
potential player from Fintona. The young man is as hard as nails. He got the nickname "FirePower"
out here. Field a ball, score with both feet, bust the onion bag, run at defences.
Let's see what he does at the University level and U21s.

Damian Meenan from Killyclogher, excellent footballer. Strong, talented, forward. Still only 21 or 22 years of age.

longball

both ciaran and barry donnelly from brocagh worth a look
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

sam03/05

John Gilmore and Martin Murray from Cookstown must be worth a shout.
Gilmore in particular has had a great season and is probably the fastest player in Tyrone when running with the ball.

TyronePhilly

Eoin McCusker, of Dromore, related to the Canavans.

Philip Toner, of Coalisland.

Alot of these young men should be put on weight training regimens. They may already have natural strength, but any potential players, especially midfielders, need to bulk up.

sam03/05

Philip Toner should without doubt be in the squad. I think Baynes and Kerr of Coalisland are also very close

orangeman

John Mc Conville is a great player - Frank Mc Guigan is scoring freely week in week out in ACL -

neutral

I agree Toner and Mc Cusker and guys like this should be having their fitness monitored from 18 - 21.  At least then if they are plucked into intercounty panels they have been receiving the best guidence and arent starting from scratch.

loughshore lad

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 15, 2007, 04:59:06 PM
John Gilmore and Martin Murray from Cookstown must be worth a shout.
Gilmore in particular has had a great season and is probably the fastest player in Tyrone when running with the ball.
Gilmore is possibly worth a look, dont think Murray would add anything as Tyrone have a few like him on the panel i.e. good attcking half back but poor defender.

Quote from: orangeman on August 15, 2007, 10:30:29 PM
John Mc Conville is a great player - Frank Mc Guigan is scoring freely week in week out in ACL -

Frank has been one of the most consistent scorers and very best club players on the Tyrone scene scince he started playing senior football. He gave the county thing a go before and it didnt work out, he probably lacks the pace required to make the mark as an inside forward in county football. He left the panel of his own accord the last time and didnt want to be a hanger on like some others. I hope from an Ardboe point of view he sticks to the club football only - the last time he was on the county panel he was not as sharp as usual due to missing some games.

Deal_Me_In

Would Ronan Ward from Loughmacrory be worth a look, i know he was asked before but declined (lack of time commitment available i think), how is he playing this year, he was one of the quickest players i have ever seen.

sam03/05

Gilmore still has two years as an under 21 player but is a massive prospect.
I disagree about Murray. I remember him doing a man marking job on Martin Clarke in an all ireland semi final a few years ago and he was superb. I think his defending could really improve if he was working within Tyrone set up.

TyronePhilly

Watched the 2003 Semi-Final against Kerry last night. Tyrone's fitness was immense! They tackled like rabid dogs.

They have never reached that same level of fitness....which I feel may be linked to the departure of Paddy Tally.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

rrhf

I believe that Tally has been a bigger loss to Tyrone football than the retirement of Peter Canavan.  Harte showed too much loyalty to players this year who were in the main playing quite average, but who went stale literally after the Mc Kenna cup and bar Donegal game there was a level this team never returned to. (4 -5 games)  They didnt strike me as a team well trained.  That added to the no of injuries (soft tissue) would lead me to conclude that Tyrones training was and has been at fault for their failure to be competitive for the past 2 years since winning the All Ireland.  Appetite by some of the players will also have to be scrutinised before they are picked again and anyone who looked overweight will have to be worked on harder either through nutition or fitness.     

orangeman

Carmen and Errigal are two of the biggest sides in Tyrone and between them have won most of the recent titles - no dispute about that ? Ok ? Then why does Carmen only have one representative on the Tyrone panel ??