Previous topic - Next topic

LooseCannon

Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2018, 10:06:53 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 16, 2018, 09:44:40 AM
First Offaly, now Westmeath.
What's going on in the Midlands?
Their working towards amalgamation.
We'd have half of South Roscommon with the land grab so...,
Seriously f**k off, I'd sooner join with ye than them, or Leix, or Tipp, or Meath, or Kildare, or Galway.

Jinxy

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on May 16, 2018, 02:57:42 PM
Quote from: thejuice on May 16, 2018, 01:49:54 PM
Likewise I don't think we're within 10 points of Dublin and may not even be that close to Kildare either. The team that lined out against Westmeath was our strongest hand I would say.

I know, we'd easily get within 6 points of Kildare!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thejuice

Kildare beat us by 10 in the league and 9 in Leinster last year. Have we got any better. No. Have Kildare gotten any worse. Maybe. So on that basis I'm not sure we'd get within ten points of them however I'm pretty certain we are not within 10 points of Dublin if we played them.

. Comprende?

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Worry about the Super Larries first.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thejuice

Obviously but the basis of the discussion was about teams improving or otherwise  and the general state of football in Leinster and nothing about who will beat what team and when.

Anyway if I'm so confident in my team that I'm not even sure if we're within ten points of arguably the second best team in the province I'm hardly of the state of mind that I'm dismissing Longford or any other team in Leinster.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

Time Leinster took a leaf out of Kerry's book with combined teams.
The new set up would be
Dublin
Longford*
North Leinster (Louth/Meath/Westmeath)
East Leinster (Kildare/Wicklow/Wexford)
West Leinster (Laois/Offaly/Carlow/Kilkenny).

*Larries always punch above their weight and are always enthusiastic unlike the apathy of the other 10.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: LooseCannon on May 16, 2018, 05:45:30 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 16, 2018, 10:06:53 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 16, 2018, 09:44:40 AM
First Offaly, now Westmeath.
What's going on in the Midlands?
Their working towards amalgamation.
We'd have half of South Roscommon with the land grab so...,
Seriously f**k off, I'd sooner join with ye than them, or Leix, or Tipp, or Meath, or Kildare, or Galway.

I suggest you consider joining with yourselves. https://www.offalyexpress.ie/news/sport/313534/offaly-selector-perplexed-by-football-fallout-amid-brian-gavin-criticism.html
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

If Leinster was a family and the GAA were the parents we would be talking about favoured child syndrome and it's negative affects on the rest of the family.

If Leinster Football was a person, they would be seeking mental help. The people who tell Leinster counties that you are a disgrace, rubbish etc, stop blaming Dublin etc are the same people who faced with a friend or family member with metal health issues, tell them to "man up" and stop felling sorry for yourselves. No acknowledgment or solutions.

When you have the GAA doing everything in their power to ensure one county's success above all others it is only natural that players will feel apathy towards those competitions. The financial doping of Dublin has cause and effect. The only thing keeping GAA alive at inter-county level is the National League, the Ulster & Connacht Championships. Super8 will give a fillip for may 3 years after that the All-Ireland series will fall away. The damage done in Leinster is going to be very hard to repair if ever.
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Sad but mostly true Dinny.
However with the Qualifiers freeing Teams from the Provincials stratjacket  I have to ask why can't Meath or Kildare  be as good as Roscommon, Cavan or Monaghan whose populations are no more than one third of the 2 Leinster Counties.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Rossfan on May 17, 2018, 10:51:47 AM
However with the Qualifiers freeing Teams from the Provincials stratjacket  I have to ask why can't Meath or Kildare  be as good as Roscommon, Cavan or Monaghan whose populations are no more than one third of the 2 Leinster Counties.

Kildare have a decent qualifier record, most wins I believe.
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

For us it's general apathy and lads choosing rugby, Aussie rules or a life in New York or just a life without county football.

That and serious neglect of underage which was only put right under Mick O'Dowds tenure and will bear fruit in the next three years hopefully. Takes a long time to turn this juggernaut around before it goes off a cliff.

Hound

It's not really mostly true. The "financial doping" is pure crybaby nonsense that Dinny loves to throw out.

The massive advantage the Dubs have is population. More kids and more volunteer coaches and administrators than everyone else by a big factor. Our County Board is the best run in Leinster by a mile. Our clubs have really upped their game in the last decade too. Geography is massive too, not having to travel any distance to get to Croke Park, not having to travel any distance to get to training. Finding a reliable freetaker has been absolutely huge too! And we've got a top top manager.

Agree totally that Kildare and Meath in particular are punching well below their weight. I don't think Kildare are as far away as the NFL suggested. Rarely more than a kick of the ball away from the Dubs at underage. And I'm sure they feel themselves that they're not far away from Galway level. Although having an easier provincial title to fight for in the first instance, is certainly an advantage Galway has over Kildare, from an "in the head" point of view anyway.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on May 18, 2018, 10:20:45 AM

It's not really mostly true. The "financial doping" is pure crybaby nonsense that Dinny loves to throw out.

The massive advantage the Dubs have is population. More kids and more volunteer coaches and administrators than everyone else by a big factor. Our County Board is the best run in Leinster by a mile. Our clubs have really upped their game in the last decade too. Geography is massive too, not having to travel any distance to get to Croke Park, not having to travel any distance to get to training. Finding a reliable freetaker has been absolutely huge too! And we've got a top top manager.

Agree totally that Kildare and Meath in particular are punching well below their weight. I don't think Kildare are as far away as the NFL suggested. Rarely more than a kick of the ball away from the Dubs at underage. And I'm sure they feel themselves that they're not far away from Galway level. Although having an easier provincial title to fight for in the first instance, is certainly an advantage Galway has over Kildare, from an "in the head" point of view anyway.

More head in the sand from Dublin supporters. Are they all that dumb that they just deny it over and over? Dublin are financially doped organically through their own commercial operations and inorganically via the GAA and the Government, that is a factual reality that no Dublin supporter can refute.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 18, 2018, 10:37:39 AM
Quote from: Hound on May 18, 2018, 10:20:45 AM

More head in the sand from Dublin supporters. Are they all that dumb that they just deny it over and over? Dublin are financially doped organically through their own commercial operations and inorganically via the GAA and the Government, that is a factual reality that no Dublin supporter can refute.
I refute it, but maybe it's because I don't understand.

For me, we look after our intercounty players really well, but no better than, for example, Mayo or Kerry look after their players.

Is Subaru giving the lads cars financial doping? Do any Kildare lads get cars? Is that the difference?

As mentioned numerous times most of the funds that go into coaching is at grassroots and focused on getting more people playing. The Dublin players will have received next to no coaching from paid coaches in their youth.

Maybe here's a way you can explain it to me. Take the potential Dublin v Kildare game this year. Game will be played in Croke Park, that's a benefit to Dublin. Dublin lads will all have short trips to training all year because they are all working or studying in Dublin. That's another advantage to Dublin (although Kildare lads probably better off than most teams in terms of distance to training). Dublin have a bigger population, thus a bigger pick, that's another advantage. But the "financial doping" advantage is the one I can't see. Dublin lads have been trained all their lives by volunteers, and they're not getting paid for playing. 

Dinny Breen

Kildare spent €756,083 on inter-county spend.

12 Inter-county league and championship football games. 8 inter-county league and championship hurling games.

37804.15 per game.

Dublin spent €1,604,353 on inter-county spend.

14 Inter-county league and championship football games. 8 inter-county league and championship hurling games.

72925.13 per game.

Kildare and Dublin are a good comparison because they don't have the same travel expenses as the other counties. So if there is no tangible benefit to spending twice as much as your neighbour on team preparation, then why spend it? No other county spends as much on their teams, no other county has the same backroom and support structures.

Giving Dublin GAA millions to invest in grass roots coaching only benefits Dublin GAA, it increases participation, it increases the quality of coaching, it helps define clear pathways from underage through to senior, it's a long-term benefit for Dublin GAA paid for by everybody else. We are financially doping Dublin, period.

Btw as for the Saburus I couldn't give a sh*t about them, fair play to the players for getting a reward for their commitment but no other squad is so well rewarded but that has nothing to do with financial doping.

#newbridgeornowhere