The Dark Web

Started by screenexile, August 21, 2015, 09:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I've been doing a bit of reading up about this recently but with the Ashley Maddison details being made public on the far web I thought I would put up a discussion for it.

Does anyone here use it?? I presume it can be used for good rather than the underhand things you hear about such as the terrorism/paedophilia/drugs/guns/assasinations.

I always thought that there was some kind of forum for such things on the internet but the whole dark web thing is an intriguing concept.

Has anyone any insight into it or do they use it for anything at all??

BennyHarp

I think Mickey Harte gets his dark art tactics from on there sonewhere!
That was never a square ball!!

doodaa

How the hell do you even get on the dark web?!

Syferus

It's just heavily protected sites, not in search engines, got to by using browsers like Tor that obsufcate your identity through proxies and encryption. It's a cute label that journalists put on it but it's not really functionally that different from any other part of the internet apart from the the focus on anonymity and obviously illegal activities.

muppet

Quote from: doodaa on August 21, 2015, 09:57:17 PM
How the hell do you even get on the dark web?!

I just close the curtains and turn off the light.

Bound to be secure.
MWWSI 2017

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on August 21, 2015, 09:34:58 PM
I've been doing a bit of reading up about this recently but with the Ashley Maddison details being made public on the far web I thought I would put up a discussion for it.

Does anyone here use it?? I presume it can be used for good rather than the underhand things you hear about such as the terrorism/paedophilia/drugs/guns/assasinations.

I always thought that there was some kind of forum for such things on the internet but the whole dark web thing is an intriguing concept.

We're on the cusp of a whole new wave of horrible cyber crime. No matter how much more protection we implement the criminals will continue to find ways to circumvent. Windows 10 is hailed as better security, but I'm sure the hackers have already found holes.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Syferus

Quote from: Orior on August 21, 2015, 10:38:14 PM
Quote from: screenexile on August 21, 2015, 09:34:58 PM

We're on the cusp of a whole new wave of horrible cyber crime. No matter how much more protection we implement the criminals will continue to find ways to circumvent. Windows 10 is hailed as better security, but I'm sure the hackers have already found holes.

Windows would have little if anything to do with the massive leaks of information from Ashley Madison or Wikileaks or the like. That data is storied in databases on encrypted servers in most cases, and more run Linux than Windows, which has about a third market share. And that's Windows Server, an operating system quite different to the consumer version. For any hacker who's serious the databases are the big prize, fooling about with viruses trying to catch individuals is a bit like fishing for a baby trout when there's a school of Salmon a few feet away.

And we're on the cusp of nothing. No sky is falling, same as it wasn't when any other cyber scandals emerged from the woodwork.

Aaron Boone

I like this thread but can't contribute to anything re Dark Web. Imagine putting your credit card details and address into one of the sites.