Down With This Sort of Thing - Newtownabbey Style!

Started by screenexile, January 24, 2014, 11:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Censorship alive and well in Newtownabbey . . . The DUP not exactly covering themselves in glory the last few weeks/months!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25860816

Newtownabbey theatre: Bible play cancelled after council row

A play that was due to open in the Theatre at the Mill in Newtownabbey, County Antrim, has been cancelled, following claims it was blasphemous.

The Bible: The Complete Word of God (Abridged) was due to open on Wednesday, 29 January, for two nights.

Some councillors had called for the show, presented by the Reduced Shakespeare Company, to be stopped.

A notice on the theatre's website said the show had been cancelled and apologised for any inconvenience.

There was heated discussion at Newtownabbey Council's policy and governance committee on Monday.
'Great regret'

It had been due for discussion at the council's monthly meeting next Monday when opponents were to make a final attempt to have the play pulled.

However, in a statement on Thursday, Newtownabbey Borough Council said: "The council's artistic board held an away day on Wednesday 22 January 2014, to plan and develop a strategy for the council's future arts programme.

"During the day, next week's performance of The Bible: The Complete Word of God (Abridged) was discussed by the board.

"Subsequently, the chair of the council's artistic board, Councillor Billy Webb, has written to the council's chief executive, to confirm that with great regret, the board has taken the decision to cancel next week's production.

"In taking this decision, the board wishes to confirm its commitment to deliver on the agreed council's artistic policy to deliver the highest quality performing arts programme, offering a diverse, socially relevant and enriching experience to as many citizens as possible."

Sinn Féin councillor Gerry O'Reilly described the decision to cancel the play as the "worse type of censorship".

"This is clearly an example of certain councillors forcing their religious views onto everyone else in the constituency," he said.

"What the councillors are basically saying is that they can dictate what type of dramas people can view."

NI21 leader Basil McCrea said: "This is a very regrettable decision - there are certain basic rights which modern western democracies guarantee for their citizens.

"One is freedom of religion and another is freedom of speech."

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Orior

I wonder do those councillors see that there actions put them into the same category as the Taliban?

What is the difference between "you are not allowed to see that play" and "women must be covered from head to toe"?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Shamrock Shore

Great to see the time machine has been invented in Norn Iron.

Major flaw is that it can only bring you back 300 years.

How we were embarrassed in 1975 over the 'banning' of the RTE production 'The Spike' cos one could see some flobby boobies behind opaque glass.
Sure glad we have moved on a bit down Mexico way.

Rossfan

Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2014, 11:21:34 AM
Censorship alive and well in Newtownabbey . . . The DUP not exactly covering themselves in glory the last few weeks/months!

- there are certain basic rights which modern western democracies guarantee for their citizens.

I'm afraid the North fails to meet those criteria. :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lawnseed

You get what you vote for. 11 out of 12 dup reps were against it. Theyll all get re-elected so this is newtownabbey this is what the people want
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lawnseed on January 24, 2014, 07:58:44 PM
You get what you vote for. 11 out of 12 dup reps were against it. Theyll all get re-elected so this is newtownabbey this is what the people want

I'm living in the Newtownabbey borough and it's completely dominated by DUP/UUP, giving councilors the right to vote on such things is wrong, but with it being shown in a council run building then it gives them the greenorange  light to vote against it. I'd say none of them actually know what the play is about or seen it.

Would sicken your hole, I hope they find a venue that isn't run by the council and I'll attend it.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Quote from: Rossfan on January 24, 2014, 05:24:49 PM
Quote from: screenexile on January 24, 2014, 11:21:34 AM

- there are certain basic rights which modern western democracies guarantee for their citizens.

I'm afraid the North fails to meet those criteria. :-\

It meets the western bit...

The DUP fail to see the irony in their name.

armaghniac

I'm living in the Newtownabbey borough and it's completely dominated by DUP/UUP, giving councilors the right to vote on such things is wrong, but with it being shown in a council run building then it gives them the greenorange  light to vote against it. I'd say none of them actually know what the play is about or seen it.

I blame the residents who don't vote.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 27, 2014, 07:20:33 PM

Catholic: 22.6%
Protestant: 67.8%

That's the breakdown, so I'm not great with maths but......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2014, 08:15:26 PM

What is required is some Protestants to vote for non Eejits, you might know some.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Quote from: armaghniac on January 27, 2014, 09:05:17 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 27, 2014, 08:15:26 PM

What is required is some Protestants to vote for non Eejits, you might know some.

Know plenty, they probably vote alliance though I never ask

Eamonnca1

Saw the play myself a couple of years ago. Great crack. If you watch the whole thing and see the whole context you'll see they're actually very respectful.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 27, 2014, 09:11:31 PM
Saw the play myself a couple of years ago. Great crack. If you watch the whole thing and see the whole context you'll see they're actually very respectful.

Think I'll get a ticket, seems it may be getting a look in

Eamonnca1

They might have to run more performances now after all the attention it's gotten. Sure to be a sell-out after all this.