Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I think the Micky Harte back in 2003 would have been more likely to take in young players if they were good enough. I think he was more of a risk taker back then but like most managers who have been in the job for a long time, he has become a lot more serious and it's harder to impress him now I think.
Unless you totally buy into his ethos of defensive play then I reckon it will be harder for you to make the team.
Look how much leeway he used to give players like Mugsy back in the early days. He said you have to give space to people being individuals but maybe I'm wrong but I don't thing that leeway would be given now. Players like Penrose for example have had to completely change their style of play to become a much more hard working tracking back forward. Mark Donnelly as well used to play at FF in his first season but sure you hardly ever see him get a shot in these days.

I know loads of you don't like the soccer comparison but I'm an Everton fan and the difference in the mood in the Everton camp ever since dull predicatble Moyes moved on and Martinez has come in, is unbelievable. Players like Seamus Coleman from Killybegs have vastly improved as he's no longer scared to make mistakes. He's enjoyed playing football again and has scored 5 goals already this season.
I think Jim Gavin brought that type of lift back into Dublin last year. He brought in a good few young lads with pace and they had the Dub fans on the edge of their seats watching their games.
I know we had a lot of injuries AGAIN last year but I hope to see a lot more of Coney, Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey and a few new faces this year.
I'd say a lot of young lads think why should I train with Tyrone all year and not have any chance of a game and then also not play any club football.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 03, 2014, 12:55:01 PM
I think the Micky Harte back in 2003 would have been more likely to take in young players if they were good enough. I think he was more of a risk taker back then but like most managers who have been in the job for a long time, he has become a lot more serious and it's harder to impress him now I think.
Unless you totally buy into his ethos of defensive play then I reckon it will be harder for you to make the team.
Look how much leeway he used to give players like Mugsy back in the early days. He said you have to give space to people being individuals but maybe I'm wrong but I don't thing that leeway would be given now. Players like Penrose for example have had to completely change their style of play to become a much more hard working tracking back forward. Mark Donnelly as well used to play at FF in his first season but sure you hardly ever see him get a shot in these days.

I know loads of you don't like the soccer comparison but I'm an Everton fan and the difference in the mood in the Everton camp ever since dull predicatble Moyes moved on and Martinez has come in, is unbelievable. Players like Seamus Coleman from Killybegs have vastly improved as he's no longer scared to make mistakes. He's enjoyed playing football again and has scored 5 goals already this season.
I think Jim Gavin brought that type of lift back into Dublin last year. He brought in a good few young lads with pace and they had the Dub fans on the edge of their seats watching their games.
I know we had a lot of injuries AGAIN last year but I hope to see a lot more of Coney, Ronan O'Neill, McAliskey and a few new faces this year.
I'd say a lot of young lads think why should I train with Tyrone all year and not have any chance of a game and then also not play any club football.

Spot on Fuzz, Tyrones corner forwards are more likely to run out towards the half forward line and recycle the ball than take a man on and go for goal.  This is obviously the template Harte has them playing to and its all about efficiency etc and playing the percentages but it completely eradicates flair.  You only have to look at the zero goal threat Tyrone have in Championship football the past few years.  I would hope that the black card and attacking football shown by Dublin would maybe push Harte to take the shackles off a bit but I doubt it.  It really is time for a change, I'm sure a lot of us can predict how this season will pan out. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Yeah and I'm sure we'll hear a raft of "how dare you question Mickey" and who else would you bring in, which is true. The fact that he got us to the AI semi last year and a Div 1 league final probably adds to the argument that he has us playing well to a system that suits the players so why change it?

The main thing I wish for in 2014 is to return to NOT playing a sweeper as it changes the whole dynamic of the game. It leads to short kick outs and slow build up from the back. Nobody wants to risk a long kick pass as possession is king.

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 03, 2014, 01:50:17 PM
Yeah and I'm sure we'll hear a raft of "how dare you question Mickey" and who else would you bring in, which is true. The fact that he got us to the AI semi last year and a Div 1 league final probably adds to the argument that he has us playing well to a system that suits the players so why change it?

The main thing I wish for in 2014 is to return to NOT playing a sweeper as it changes the whole dynamic of the game. It leads to short kick outs and slow build up from the back. Nobody wants to risk a long kick pass as possession is king.

But the thing about last year is that you new we were never going to win the league or championship.  It was more of a 'hope we don't get hammered' mentality in a lot of the big games.  Mickey Harte is the best Tyrone manager of all time, but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan B and most of the Country has known our plan A inside out for 5 years now.  The nature of the game calls for changes both at player and management level.  I don't buy into this argument either about 'who will replace him'?  Mickey Harte wasn't a saviour when taking over the Tyrone job, while Jim McGuiness, Pat Gilroy, James Horan or Jim Gavin weren't managers with great reputations before they took over the reigns at Senior inter-couty level.  There are potentially great managers out there. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

I see Conan Grugan was playing last Sunday v Donegal and he's named in the Irish Indo's players to watch this year.
What do people think of him from his club performances last year and will he be able to push his way into the starting team this year or is he still a bit too young? Is he the same age as Clarke?

With Niall McKenna also pushing to get back into the team will there be much more competition this year for a midfield role?

God14

I fancy Grugan to nail down a starting 15 spot this season either at 10 or 12. Quality footballer. Will take time to adapt, and needs a clear run from injury. In the mould of a Ger Cavlan type footballer. Can drift in & out of games, but when he's good - he's very good.

LeoMc

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 03, 2014, 02:30:51 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 03, 2014, 01:50:17 PM

But the thing about last year is that you new we were never going to win the league or championship.  It was more of a 'hope we don't get hammered' mentality in a lot of the big games.  Mickey Harte is the best Tyrone manager of all time, but there doesn't seem to be much of a plan B and most of the Country has known our plan A inside out for 5 years now.  The nature of the game calls for changes both at player and management level.  I don't buy into this argument either about 'who will replace him'?  Mickey Harte wasn't a saviour when taking over the Tyrone job, while Jim McGuiness, Pat Gilroy, James Horan or Jim Gavin weren't managers with great reputations before they took over the reigns at Senior inter-couty level. There are potentially great managers out there.

Any potentially great managers out there should have some sort of a sucessful track record.

Harte, McGuiness and Gavin were all successful underage (minor / u-21) and graduated to senior with those players.
Danny Ball didn't get the Tyrone job early enough with his 2 u-21 teams but the next Tyrone man to sucessfully manage an u-21 team should be allowed to carry through to Senior. Same goes for a minor winning manager he should get the opportunity at u-21.

God14

I see Tommy Canavan kicked 1-3 last night for St Marys. Was he at the trials in November?

stalwart

anybody thinks that kyle coney would make the slightest difference to tyrone is deluded

Man Marker

Quote from: stalwart on January 09, 2014, 02:17:13 PM
anybody thinks that kyle coney would make the slightest difference to tyrone is deluded

I concur.

nrico2006

Why the forgeone views on Coney?  Had a bad run with injuries the past two years but was he not flying and our top scorer in Division 2 two years ago?  I admit I haven't seen a lot of him, but is the chances of him being a big player for Tyrone completely out of the question? 

God14

1. N Morgan 2. A McCrory 3. R McNamee 4. B Tierney 5. C McGinley 6. P Harte 7. R McNabb 8. D McBride  9. C Grugan 10. E McKenna 11. S McGuigan 12. PJ Lavery 13. P McNiece 14. Mattie Donnelly 15. R O'Neill

Good to see Ronan McNabb back. If fit would walk straight into my starting 15.

Ronan McNamee at full back will be interesting. Looked very comfortable there at underage, although with the McMahons & Conor Clarke about I don't think he will be played there this year.

McBride gets an opportunity in Midfield. Strong enough looking side.

God14

Meant to say, for those that cant attend the matches for whatever reason - Tyrones first NFL game against Derry in Celtic park is televised live. Saturday fortnight.

http://www.premiersports.tv/gaa/gaa/

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: God14 on January 15, 2014, 02:24:23 PM
Meant to say, for those that cant attend the matches for whatever reason - Tyrones first NFL game against Derry in Celtic park is televised live. Saturday fortnight.

http://www.premiersports.tv/gaa/gaa/

Hmm? Can this be obtained in pubs. Our dinner dance is that night.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

God14

Good enough news on the injury front in todays press then. Sean & Colm Cavanagh plus Mark Donnelly likely to be available for the trip to Celtic Park against Derry.
That's good news considering Derry seemed to overpower our Midfield the last day. Colm Cavanagh has been much maligned on this board in the past, but we were crying out for his size & presence towards the end last Sunday.

Derry probably took more encouragement from Sundays game than we did. With Cailean oBoyle & Chrissy McKaigue to come in, plus our horrible record in Celtic Pk as well, its sure to be a difficult game.