Davy Fitz about to get the heave in Clare

Started by Bord na Mona man, September 21, 2016, 11:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Player power leaves Clare boss Davy Fitzgerald on the brink

The Clare squad gathered on Monday night in Ennis to review the year and although the decision to ask for a change at the top wasn't unanimous, it's understood that some members of the 2013 Liam MacCarthy-winning team were foremost in the heave.
There had been some unrest in Clare at how the highly-rated Paul Kinnerk was lost to Limerick only a year after rejoining the Banner set-up and while they captured the National League title this year, there is dissatisfaction at how the team has performed since 2013.

Fitzgerald, who has a year left to run on his current arrangement with Clare, is in the US on holidays this week but speculation intensified last night that he would step down as early as today.
Speaking about his future earlier this month, the former All-Ireland-winning goalkeeper hinted that he could step away from the role.

"I have another year's contract with Clare, we'll see what happens. I haven't even honestly thought about it, what I want to do," he said.
"I think that's only fair. I look back at what we've achieved with Clare, even over the last number of years and I'm proud of what the lads have done.

"I'm proud of the backroom staff, they've been brilliant. What we do from here, I'm not sure, but it's been a great spin."
Read more: Clare boss Davy Fitzgerald admits that he could see himself 'managing someone else'

Since winning the All-Ireland the Banner have managed to beat just Offaly, Laois and Limerick in championship in three seasons.
They reached the All-Ireland quarter-final stage this year where they went down to Galway.

Fitzgerald patrolled the sideline that day having undergone heart surgery earlier that week.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/player-power-leaves-clare-boss-davy-fitzgerald-on-the-brink-35066210.html

AZOffaly

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2016, 11:25:05 AM
I wonder how he'd do in Offaly?
It's hard to know how players would respond to his madness.

AZOffaly

Bord na Mona man

Aye, but after they've won a couple of All Irelands, would they turn on him?
That's why I'd steer clear.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 21, 2016, 11:56:28 AM
Aye, but after they've won a couple of All Irelands, would they turn on him?
That's why I'd steer clear.

True. It might scupper the 3 in a row bid.

johnneycool

There was a good bit of disquiet on Clare hurlers in relation to Davy for the last number of years and it seemed that the makeup of his backroom team had got a lot of them back on board, Kinnerk in particular rather than Donal Óg.
Kinnerk seems to be highly rated around that part of the world and a lot of the Clare lads attribute a good bit of 2013 to his working in relation to tackling and so forth.
I was speaking to a few Clonlara lads not long after the ostricising of three players (one from their club) and their opinion then was that unless the results improve that a mutiny was on the cards.

Davy has hung on rightly, the NHL league win bought him some time, but now the chickens are home to roost

Asal Mor

Quote from: johnneycool on September 21, 2016, 04:24:08 PM
There was a good bit of disquiet on Clare hurlers in relation to Davy for the last number of years and it seemed that the makeup of his backroom team had got a lot of them back on board, Kinnerk in particular rather than Donal Óg.
Kinnerk seems to be highly rated around that part of the world and a lot of the Clare lads attribute a good bit of 2013 to his working in relation to tackling and so forth.
I was speaking to a few Clonlara lads not long after the ostricising of three players (one from their club) and their opinion then was that unless the results improve that a mutiny was on the cards.

Davy has hung on rightly, the NHL league win bought him some time, but now the chickens are home to roost
It was fairly clear during the championship that Davy had alienated Kinnerk and he often looked pi**ed off on the sideline, while Davy and Donal Og were hatching plans between themselves. He sure did hang in rightly. I was surprised that this didn't happen last year but it was probably the appointments of Kinnerk and Donal Og that bought him some time alright. They were dire for  the last 3 years and it will be interesting to see what someone else can get out of them.

ashman

Bottom line the team was underachieving on a massive scale.  Playing a game that was very frustrating and easy to play against.  A sweeper system and few ball winners up front .  They won a lucky all Ireland in 2013 but never progressed thereafter .    There was huge frustration with players and supporters. 

This is best for all , Davy most so.

orangeman

Quote from: ashman on September 21, 2016, 10:07:21 PM
Bottom line the team was underachieving on a massive scale.  Playing a game that was very frustrating and easy to play against.  A sweeper system and few ball winners up front .  They won a lucky all Ireland in 2013 but never progressed thereafter .    There was huge frustration with players and supporters. 

This is best for all , Davy most so.

Gone.

johnneycool

The Fitzgerald statement in full

"One of the greatest privileges of my life has been to manage the Clare senior hurling team and I am immensely proud of the success achieved during my time at the helm.

"After this year's All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Galway, I was undecided about my future and I indicated as much to the players in the dressing-room post-match. In the weeks that followed, I asked the joint-captains to ascertain the opinions of the wider panel on whether they would like a change of voice.

"In light of the ensuing meeting and the divided opinions expressed by players, I have decided that it would be in the best interests of Clare hurling that I step down. "I will cherish the memory of seeing so many happy Clare faces when in 2013 we won what was only the county's fourth All-Ireland title and again in Thurles last May when we were crowned National League champions for the first time in 38 years.

"The Clare players were heroes on both days and it is my belief they will lift Liam MacCarthy again in the near future.

"I was not asked to step down. The decision is entirely my own. In taking this decision, however, I wish to reaffirm my absolute love and passion for Clare hurling. "I want to express my sincere thanks to the backroom teams which have served alongside me for the past five seasons. It was a real pleasure to work with people of the highest calibre.

"I want to thank the Clare County Board for their tremendous support, Pat O'Donnell for his constant and generous sponsorship and support, and the players for being a key part of my life over the past five years.

"I want to thank the supporters and acknowledge the many people who travelled great distances to support their county. "I leave the Clare job with a heavy heart but full of confidence that there will be further great hurling days for the Banner County."

He leaves with his dignity intact and Clare hurling and senior hurlers will benefit from that and not be subject to the same amount of microscopic analysis as Galway hurlers were subjected to this year!

Beffs

A good, clean amicable split is always the best. Fair play to Davy & the players for how they went about all this. But it was still a divided dressing room and the majority of the players did want him gone. Of course the fallout from that, is going to be analysed to death, when the new season kicks off. It won't be as vicious as what happened in Galway or Mayo, but it will still be pretty vigorous none the less. If they have a good league, it will silence the chatter, at least until the champo kicks off. But if they have a poor one, it could all get cranked up again.

Anyone know what Donal Og is doing?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Beffs on September 22, 2016, 12:58:20 PM
A good, clean amicable split is always the best. Fair play to Davy & the players for how they went about all this. But it was still a divided dressing room and the majority of the players did want him gone. Of course the fallout from that, is going to be analysed to death, when the new season kicks off. It won't be as vicious as what happened in Galway or Mayo, but it will still be pretty vigorous none the less. If they have a good league, it will silence the chatter, at least until the champo kicks off. But if they have a poor one, it could all get cranked up again.

Anyone know what Donal Og is doing?
Oi! Leave Mayo outa this. ;D
There was feck all viciousness in the players' requests.
The Mayo senior panel held a meeting after the All Ireland final had been played and the majority felt that with proper direction from the sideline they could have beaten both of the finalists.
As it was, the pair of boyos who took on the job of managing the side at the start of the season didn't want the gig in the first place. One of them was unable to attend many of the training sessions because of work commitments.
To cap it all, it turned out when the replay against Dublin began, it seems the pair of them had forgotten to bring their tactical plans along as they had left them in their hotel room. That was the last straw.

Now, the players requested a meeting between their spokesmen and the CB. They outlined their problems with the gruesome twosome and suggested that the pair be allowed to depart quietly with their dignity intact. Some bustard who saw the letter sent to the CB requesting a meeting decided for unknown reasons to leak the contents.
There would have been no need for the request to be made public ever. The players took umbrage at this breach of confidentiality and the rest is history. They did not force Pateen and Noel to step down publicly; the shagger who leaked their letter did that.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Roashter

Looks like Anthony Daly's team will include Brian Lohan & Tommy Dunne -looks like a nice setup.
Will be interesting to see who the u-21 guys will bring on board in their bid.