Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Meaningless game, my hope was to avoid a hammering, not sure we did that thiough. But with 2 of the 3 fullbacks out, including the marshall of the defence we were up against it, let's hope the Glass injury gets time to heal. There's little to be gained by winning ulster this year, so don't even try.
I'd agree with comments about Gallagher not trusting the squad enough throughout the league - there were quite a few games where the result was decided by half time, but he still waited to late in the game before bringing lads on. When forced to play his hand v Dublin in Celtic park, the subs were a big factor.
I do think they've a lot more in them than last year, we've seen a lot more potential up front this year imo, Doherty has been excellent, Murray has real potential and Cassidy has really blossomed. I also think there was never a chance Gallagher was going to show his hand yesterday and I'd be surprised if they haven't been doing a bit of work on plan b.
I can't see what good could come from bringing mcfaul back into the squad, there was plenty said when he left last year and his decision to leave would really have you questioning his commitment and leave other squad members questioning their own. It's a big negative for me.

imtommygunn

I think bringing Mcfaul back into the squad is a mistake tbh. Gallagher doing what Tyrone have been doing and alienating subs. If you can't trust your subs in a lower division you are unlikely to trust them in a higher division.

seafoid

Tyrone could turn out to be better than Derry. Derry have a thin spread of talent which is more like a club team. When Glass went off things fell apart the last day.

rrhf

Hope you Derry wans enjoyed your day out....

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 03, 2023, 12:28:31 PM
It's the same for strong clubs who'll win their championships easily. St Galls always used to time their peak and the likes of Kilcoo look like they do that now. I'm sure Cross and Corofin did too.

You do what you can get away with.
Point of order Kilcoo only won a couple of games in Down after extra time and even penalties in one! Cross would have done that though for sure.

tbrick18

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 04, 2023, 07:45:12 AM
I think bringing Mcfaul back into the squad is a mistake tbh. Gallagher doing what Tyrone have been doing and alienating subs. If you can't trust your subs in a lower division you are unlikely to trust them in a higher division.

I can see your point there.
I'm hoping that it's not that he doesn't trust those subs, its that he's trying to bring them on slowly to the be the mainstay of players in the coming years.
Last year Murray was on the panel, but never got a look in.
This year, he played his way through the mckenna cup and is probably one of the first subs and is at least in contention for a starting spot.
So softly softly approach maybe with the young lads?

McFaul is a risk, but I feel a risk worth taking provided he knows his place on the panel.
I wouldnt expect him to come into the starting lineup.
But 20 mins at the end? Bound to be an option for that.

imtommygunn

Tbh the approach is probably more ok with younger ones assuming they are prepared to put the work in etc. More seasoned players on the bench all the time is probably not going to work as well.

Like someone said McFaul been out a long time so I'd expect McFaul to struggle to be at the pace of it. It's maybe a longer term plan for next year etc.

I don't think it's doom and gloom like some say here. You're still one of the best about but Gallagher needs to be wary with the panel stuff. I think like a lot would say Gallagher has a lifespan. That lifespan will be shorter with no squad but still a year or two in him yet I would say.

SouthOfThe Bann

Thought I'll get in early with my predictions for this years Division 2 League.

1. Donegal
2. Cork
3. Armagh
4. Kildare
5. Cavan
6. Meath
7. Fermanagh
8. Louth

naka

Cork gave only 3 games at home
So think they will be below Kildare and Armagh

Donegal
Kildare
Armagh
Meath
Cork
Cavan
Fermanagh
Louth

lurganblue

That's a tough league when you look at it and one or two close results going against you could really throw a spanner in your campaign. That being said, I would be disappointed if Armagh didnt finish in the top 2.

I'll be optimistic and go...

Armagh
Donegal
Cork
Kildare
Meath
Louth
Cavan
Fermanagh

Itchy

Armagh
Donegal
Cork
Cavan
Kildare
Meath
Fermanagh
Louth

armaghniac

Armagh has 4 games at home and Fermanagh away should be manageable. Cork v Armagh in the last round might be relevant to promotion, Armagh would be wise to ensure that those points were not needed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

imtommygunn

Donegal
Cork
Kildare
Armagh
Meath
Cavan
Fermanagh
Louth

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on January 09, 2024, 04:06:07 PMArmagh has 4 games at home and Fermanagh away should be manageable. Cork v Armagh in the last round might be relevant to promotion, Armagh would be wise to ensure that those points were not needed.
Wouldn't like to be going there needing a win. Hopefully get at least 5 wins before that!