Mayo v Armagh- Round 3 Qualifier

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 24, 2019, 11:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: rosnarun on July 03, 2019, 03:19:10 PM
Harrison was just given a sneak push in the back by Clarke ,  nothing against Clarke but don't hold it against Harrison
Quote from: joemamas on July 03, 2019, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 03, 2019, 11:17:56 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 01, 2019, 11:22:02 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 01, 2019, 10:24:59 AM
I cant believe all the whinging people are doing about The ref here , Jame clarke should have been black carded after about 2 mins if you care to rewind the video now that would have changed the GAme. and peobable 2 more could have got them . almost every time mayo got a free they were blocked from taking it and theis firectly cost them 2 points which would have made all the difference .
I was sitting beside a former Armagh inter county ref who was a referees accessor , he had no problems with deegan apart from the bit of showboating when  he alsmost for got to Show (grugan and Harrison?)
+1
I have to agree with your first paragraph. I can understand Armagh fans feeling they left the game behind but if Mayo had been Dublin or any of the other top teams, Armagh would have been beaten out the gate. That's a bit harsh but it's the objective truth, (IMO of course.)
Mayo had stepped up a gear coming into the closing stages and moved 5 points clear. They then did what Mayo supporters have become used to- they lost concentration and almost blew their chances as Armagh came back at them. That usually happens in every game Mayo is involved i and probably will happen next weekend too, unfortunately.
An RTE NEWS NOW copywriter got it bang on yesterday. The headline read, "Mayo almost manage to lose...." and I can't find fault with that.
As regards Maurice Deegan, Mayo supporters have had their own reasons for giving out about his decision making in a few championship games in recent years. I don't think anyone could say that he favoured us and I saw no reason why I would think he was any different on Saturday. It can be argued that we got a few hairline decisions but he didn't set out to make up for previous games or anything like that.
Arrmagh were just as cynical as Mayo but they didn't get away with as much because Mayo are more experienced at fouling.

Stepped up? Mayo got a goal out of nothing that should have been called up for steps and had a flattering 5 point lead. A lead that should have been wiped out within minutes if Jamie Clarke didn't hit such a poor shot along the ground to allow his namesake Clarke to save.

Mayo scored 1-7 from 8 attempts in that 2nd half when if ever have Mayo been that accurate? the Dubs would be proud with that type of strike rate.  With all the wastefulness,errors and all the momentum for the closing stages it was Armagh in truth was the ones that managed to lose that game and very grateful Mayo lived to fight another day.
Watched the game again in full last night.

Thoughts in no particular order.

The 2019 is poorer for not having Armagh in the super 8's. They are a very good football team, good midfield, three or four top class forwards, biggest takeaway, their ferocity in the tackle was amazing, pure textbook stuff, reminded me of Mayo in years gone by.
They turned Mayo over again and again, all over the field. Their coach's should be commended. I would have loved to have seen them in Croke Park, mind you not at Mayo expense.
Armagh also have a very passionate support base which i respect.

Main turning point, IMO Shields stupid trip on Kevin McLoughilin as COC was about to take a free 50 + yards out against the wind, Armagh had all the momentum, they had just scored two in two minutes and there was a point between them. It gave Mayo a gift of a point.

Did not think McLoughlin over carried.
David Clarke way to uncomfortable to be handling the ball outside the 14 yard line.
Keith Higgins for all his defensive flaws, started so many attacks he is still irreplaceable. Horan should just start him in half forwards.
Beginning to think that Boland may not be up to it at this level. he tries but...
Conor Loftus did not put his body on the line around halfway line after 20 mins, ( he may be carrying an injury), result Armagh point.
Lee Keegan right before he was substituted, got dispossessed on the Armagh 21 yard line, right after kicked an aimless pass across the armagh 21 yard line to absolutely nobody, not something you would expect from such a seasoned veteran. We will miss him, for sure, as a man to man marker.
Harrison tries very hard, playing out of position, he is not a full back (hardest position to play in the modern game ), does not have the physical presence for full back, he was knocked off the ball too easily by Jamie Clarke, who while excellent is not the biggest of forwards.

I will take some positives, Vaughan and COC back on the field.
A lot of new faces getting some championship game time.
Tracey and Murray getting game time, but both just not physically conditioned at this point for inter-county senior football.
McDonagh, Coen excellent, as was AOS.
I would be happy with a super 8 appearance at this point, given our injuries, but we have a big panel, at least that is what we were led to believe at then end of the league.
Unfortunate reality of 2019, is that we most likely blew it with the loss to Roscommon.
Hoping we can get through next Saturday.

osted by: rosnarun
« on: Today at 03:19:10 PM » Insert Quote
Harrison was just given a sneak push in the back by Clarke ,  nothing against Clarke but don't hold it against Harrison

I was referring to some of the points he scored, not the goal.
I like Harrison, just dont believe he is a full back.
Then again we are not exactly blessed with options

Jim Bob

Ex Armagh county player wants shot of McGeeney. Check out Thursdays Irish News.

square_ball

If someone is going to come out with that at least they should put their name to it. A coward with no balls I doubt.

And also doesn't reflect well on the Irish news publishing it in the first place.

Ethan Tremblay

Anyone going to post what was said?

Agreed poor form from the paper publishing it without giving a name, sensationalises discontent within the county in my view.
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

the goal was on

Mc Geeney going nowhere. Why would he give up a lucrative full time job. Decent manager who raises money to pay for own post and funding the team. Will be in best interests of both parties that he stays.

yellowcard

McGeeney divides opinion and people know by now what his strengths and weaknesses are. I personally think he should stay for at least another year to see if he can progress the team and get them back to division one and competing for Super 8's. He is self financed and runs a very professional set up and has the absolutely loyalty of his players who are very well prepared but he has no great affinity for the club game which tends to annoy a lot of the grassroots supporters. A war through the papers does not reflect very well on anybody and I get the feeling that this will rumble on now with people already querying who wrote the letter. Aidan Forker had already used the same paper to bat for Geezer in the previous couple of days. He could have avoided all of this by stating that he was staying on directly after the match on Saturday but instead the void has now been filled by people questioning whether he should stay or go.   

square_ball

A PROMINENT former Armagh player has called on the Orchard county board to "be ruthless and make a change at the top" by getting rid of manager Kieran McGeeney.

In a letter to the Irish News, the former Orchard star, who did not wish to be named, said that while McGeeney had been "a great leader" as a player, his loyalty to those in the current Armagh setup had become a fault.

"It can be hard to put your finger on what exactly has gone wrong but one thing is clear, his time has run out," said the letter.

"At the time of his appointment many thought Geezer would use the opportunity to bring in a new backroom team. He didn't. It seems he is a seriously loyal man but his tenure shows he has been loyal to a fault.

"Had he freshened up his support staff maybe he would have had success at an earlier stage, maybe a coach and a fitness expert whom the players respected, but he stuck with the people he trusted.

"He also laboured with players who were loyal to him, putting them on before those who were better than they were. It was only when us supporters were roaring on to the pitch that he reluctantly dropped them. This loyalty served neither him nor the players."

The former player also hit out at Geezer's post-match interview following the weekend's narrow defeat in Mayo, where McGeeney questioned the referee's decision to only add four minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game.

Maurice Deegan's performance has been a major talking point across the board since last Saturday, but the former player believes blaming referees has been an ongoing narrative of McGeeney's reign.

"The post-match interview to Sky Sports was most revealing. What grinds me down is the hard luck stories.

"'Oh the referee was against us', 'we couldn't buy a free', etc, as if it the game wasn't riddled with mistakes on and off the pitch.

"Would it not have been better to push up on the Mayo kickouts when we had them on the rack? Or to change up the system of play to keep Mayo thinking, rather than counting the number of times that the referee got it wrong?"

A role as a director of football would have been more suitable for McGeeney, believes the ex-Orchard star.

"The penny finally dropped with me when in that Sky interview 'Geezer' said the county board are 'in the black' now and he went on to talk about a failed development structure which has only recently undergone a restructuring.

"When have you ever heard of a manager talking about the county's finances as if it was a priority for them? This statement epitomises what has been Geezers strengths within his time as senior manager.

"His strengths have been in the role of football director where he has been involved in restructuring the county board, the development squads, the finances, and so on.

"His one glaring omission has been a lack of absolute focus on the senior team, which I feel should have been his only priority.

"The county board need to be mature about the next decision they make. Don't hide behind loyalty or suggest that the clubs make the final call; it is the county board that makes the recommendation.

"Time to be ruthless and to make a change at the top. This team is capable of winning if they are properly guided.

"I want Armagh to be successful in 2020, not to be more of the same."

yellowcard

Reading that article I wouldn't even be too sure if it was actually a former player at all. If it is an anonymous letter it should never have been published on the back page, put it in the letters page with the rest of the public but don't make an article out of it.

brokencrossbar1

It may be legit and it maks a lot of valid points but the fact that the 'author' has refused to add his name to it leaves it a bit worthless and the IN should have had the balls to insist upon the name going on it or not print at all.  I have been openly critical of a number of matters over the years about the county on here and on the Armagh Forum but I will stand over what I say.  I have openly said to people involved with the county set up where I see problems....I actually do not believe that Geezer is that issue....rather the back room is.  McCorry has made a difference this year.  I believe that the 'author' of the letter has the right idea of what Geezer should be,  a director of football.  I have always said he should be retained in such a capacity,  similar to what Clive Woodward was in the English Rugby set up that won the World Cup.  An organizer,  a facilitator, a manager of coaches.  Leave the coaching to the people that can coach.

Ethan Tremblay

Fair enough article and raises some good points.  His tenure will eventually come to an end but the county board would be idiots to not have him involved in some operational capacity. 

The line "He also laboured with players who were loyal to him, putting them on before those who were better than they were." reeks of the author feeling a clubmate should be on in front of other players in my eyes. 

Hand on heart, Armagh haven't had a top panel in years, I would say this year was the first time in a long time they had options off the bench where that statement could be vindicated.  O O'Neil this year would be a good example of that.  Apart from this year, if players were on the bench with the panels they had then there would be very little complaints I would say.

I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

naka

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 04, 2019, 09:43:14 AM

Agreed poor form from the paper publishing it without giving a name, sensationalises discontent within the county in my view.
tbf Irish news has really gone to the dogs
used to be a quality paper
no longer though

balladmaker

A conversation I had with a former Armagh player sitting beside me during the the first Cavan game has striking similarities to thoughts in that article, I agree with alot of it.  But I wouldnt want to see McGeeney being dropped, he has alot to offer to the set-up with a young team who are obviously progressing.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: naka on July 04, 2019, 12:31:04 PM
Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on July 04, 2019, 09:43:14 AM

tbf Irish news has really gone to the dogs
used to be a quality paper
no longer though

That's a bit of an exaggeration!

Can hardly remember a time when it was a 'quality paper'.

Owen Brannigan

The real question when it comes to those wanting to get rid of McGeeney is, who is the stand out candidate that really wants the job and is willing to step in?

McGeeney made the right step in bringing in Jim McCorry and giving him a say in matters on the field.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on July 04, 2019, 10:23:13 AM
McGeeney divides opinion and people know by now what his strengths and weaknesses are. I personally think he should stay for at least another year to see if he can progress the team and get them back to division one and competing for Super 8's. He is self financed and runs a very professional set up and has the absolutely loyalty of his players who are very well prepared but he has no great affinity for the club game which tends to annoy a lot of the grassroots supporters. A war through the papers does not reflect very well on anybody and I get the feeling that this will rumble on now with people already querying who wrote the letter. Aidan Forker had already used the same paper to bat for Geezer in the previous couple of days. He could have avoided all of this by stating that he was staying on directly after the match on Saturday but instead the void has now been filled by people questioning whether he should stay or go.   
I was on the fence with McGeeney and still am, especially with the obvious issues of not winning our own or opposition kickouts, but he's really impressed me with some of our forward play in the championship especially, but this really sickens me about the man.