Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo

So McKenna is coming home again. Any hope the financial uncertainty with the AFL might keep him home this time?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on March 26, 2020, 12:37:23 PM
So McKenna is coming home again. Any hope the financial uncertainty with the AFL might keep him home this time?

No.

You would suspect that any hope of some company throwing money at him went with McShane starting a new job then no showing since with injury.

LeoMc

Morgan
McMenamin McAnallen Lynch
McCabe Gormley Jordan
    McKenna Hughes
Dooher OHagan M Donnelly
Cavlan F McGuigan Canavan

FMcConnell
P Devlin
P Donnelly
S Teague
S McLaughlin
E Kilpatrick
A Cush
O Mulligan
M Bradley

F Devlin, Hampsey, Cavanagh, Donaghy, S ONeill ruled out by club mates.

pressupking

morgan
ricey
mcanallan
chris lawn
joe mcmahon
gormley
kevin mccabe
sean cavanagh
eugene mckenna
dooher
brian mcguigan
gerard cavlan
mugsy
mattie donnelly
canavan

couple of big omissions, jordan, stevie o neill, frank mcguigan - but brian mcguigan HAS to be in that team, best nr 11 ive ever had the pleasure of watching and as for dooher over o'neill no contest in my eyes - longevity, leadership, and one hell of a footballer.

Quote from: LeoMc on March 26, 2020, 02:59:26 PM
                 Morgan
McMenamin McAnallen Lynch
McCabe Gormley Jordan
    McKenna Hughes
Dooher OHagan M Donnelly
Cavlan F McGuigan Canavan

FMcConnell
P Devlin
P Donnelly
S Teague
S McLaughlin
E Kilpatrick
A Cush
O Mulligan
M Bradley

F Devlin, Hampsey, Cavanagh, Donaghy, S ONeill ruled out by club mates.

pressupking

i know this will never happen but if this lockdown on sports activities lasts beyond end of May i would actually love to see the inter county season voided for 2020.....forget about start 2021 as we started 2020.

But im wise enough to know this will never happen becuase the money men in croke park wont allow it and they need their bonuses and holidays abroad paid for.

Every footballer in Ireland at this moment in time is in Limbo - when we do actually get back up and running the inter county season will be given precedence over the club - therefore meaning club footballers will still be in limbo.

Declare the 2020 intercounty season null and void, let the clubs take centre stage, every player in ireland will be getting the football their so badly craving at this time, no-one will be left behind.

let the clubs go hell for leather in their respective leagues June, July and August and then let the championships begin in September.

And being honest, i dont think there would be too many people disappointed if the inter county season was shelved (apart from the dinosaurs in croker and few inter country players on the top teams)

But i just know when the dust settles on all this that clubs will get shafted once again because they need euros in the door and it really shouldnt be the case.

lenny

Quote from: pressupking on March 27, 2020, 03:25:31 PM
i know this will never happen but if this lockdown on sports activities lasts beyond end of May i would actually love to see the inter county season voided for 2020.....forget about start 2021 as we started 2020.

But im wise enough to know this will never happen becuase the money men in croke park wont allow it and they need their bonuses and holidays abroad paid for.

Every footballer in Ireland at this moment in time is in Limbo - when we do actually get back up and running the inter county season will be given precedence over the club - therefore meaning club footballers will still be in limbo.

Declare the 2020 intercounty season null and void, let the clubs take centre stage, every player in ireland will be getting the football their so badly craving at this time, no-one will be left behind.

let the clubs go hell for leather in their respective leagues June, July and August and then let the championships begin in September.

And being honest, i dont think there would be too many people disappointed if the inter county season was shelved (apart from the dinosaurs in croker and few inter country players on the top teams)

But i just know when the dust settles on all this that clubs will get shafted once again because they need euros in the door and it really shouldnt be the case.

Good idea, it means every player gets football.

Angelo

I'd be in favour of that but ideally I'd like to see the league concluded given that there's two rounds of it left and it could quite easily be done in the space of 7 days.

GetOverTheBar

When the dust settles Sport will burst back onto the scene, the GAA won't be wanting to be seen to be lacking so for that reason alone they'll make a big deal about playing the game. That will mean intercounty football.

The GAA is possibly one of the most financially secure sporting bodies in the world, it isn't the case it needs the money.

The Club game is the poor relation. It'll be shelved. You'll see regional leagues run off ASAP with the hope (most) championships can take place around about the same time they normally would pretty much at the start of autumn.

I base that on the assumption that we can get a hold on the situation over the next 4-6 weeks.

Dire Ear

Skelton
McMenamin McGarvey Lynch
McCabe Gormley JMcMahon
    McKenna SCavanagh
Cavlan  OHagan  OMulligan
SONeill F McGuigan Canavan

And that, my friend,   is a team!

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Dire Ear on March 28, 2020, 05:38:19 PM
              Skelton
McMenamin McGarvey Lynch
McCabe Gormley JMcMahon
    McKenna SCavanagh

Phillip Jordan - 4 All Stars.
Brian Dooher - 3 All Stars.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on March 30, 2020, 10:45:46 AM
              Skelton
McMenamin McGarvey Lynch
McCabe Gormley JMcMahon
    McKenna SCavanagh

S'ONeill and S Cavanagh make those two against the rules.

Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LeoMc

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on March 30, 2020, 10:45:46 AM
              Skelton
McMenamin McGarvey Lynch
McCabe Gormley JMcMahon
    McKenna SCavanagh

Who would you replace Cavanagh and ONeill with?

Christmas Lights

If Philip Jordan isn't in everyone's team, then you have no business picking teams.  He was the best Half back Tyrone ever produced, ludacris the amount of people that have left him out of teams 

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Christmas Lights on April 06, 2020, 04:33:46 PM
If Philip Jordan isn't in everyone's team, then you have no business picking teams.  He was the best Half back Tyrone ever produced, ludacris the amount of people that have left him out of teams
But it means leaving out Sean Cavanagh, who is one of the best players tyrone ever produced bar none. The ones picking Jordan over him are the ones that need their head looked at.

Angelo

Australian Football Rules star Conor McKenna plans to return home in the next couple of years which would put him in the frame to have a senior inter-county career with Tyrone.

McKenna, 24, is back home in Ireland amid the coronavirus outbreak after having the best season of his AFL career with Essendon in 2019.

"I will be home in the next few years," McKenna told BBC Sport NI.

"Whether it's this year or next year I'm just not sure at the minute.

"I've always had the idea I'd like to return home to Eglish and if good enough for Tyrone. It's been five-and-a-half years now and I always think about the opportunity to come back.

"I didn't grow up dreaming of playing AFL, I'm very fortunate to have the opportunity at the minute, but I did grow up dreaming of playing for Tyrone, win Ulsters, win All-Irelands.

"I want to play for Eglish first and see if I can kick the ball straight, then reassess from there."

Hugely impressive Tyrone underage career
After a hugely impressive minor career with Tyrone, McKenna was promoted to the county's senior squad as a 19-year-old in the summer of 2014 but then opted to begin an AFL career later that year.

After making his Essendon debut in 2015, the Eglish native has established himself as one of the club's key players and his outstanding 2019 campaign included topping the AFL's running bounces stats.

A bout of homesickness caused McKenna to fly home to Ireland earlier this year for a couple of weeks but he returned Down Under to begin the new AFL campaign before the action was halted by the global pandemic.

These are uncertain times for the finances of sport across the globe and the AFL is no exception.

Players have taken a 50% paycut as the season is on hold and if the pandemic stretches, that paycut could rise to 80%.

McKenna's intention is to return to Melbourne after Covid-19 and see out his remaining 18 month Essendon contract.

The outside world sees Conor McKenna living the dream. A well paid job, playing in front of 95,000 people, a professional sportsman living in sunny Australia.

However homesickness is something the Tyrone man has had to battle with throughout his Australian stint.

McKenna has the best season of his AFL career in 2019
McKenna signed a four-year contract extension with Essendon in 2017
"Tyrone won the U21 All-Ireland [in 2015] and I probably would have been playing on that team.

"I lived with a host family who were lovely during the first year but it's not your own family.

"I didn't have any friends, I didn't know what to do and didn't know who to speak to.

"It's not a nice feeling. I got through it, but I still struggle with it. Six years on I'm still trying to deal with it which really shows how tough it is."

When McKenna did return home from Australia last week, he had to celebrate his 24th birthday away from his family and friends during a two-week isolation in county Donegal.

He has this advice for those feeling the impact of being lonely.

"Stay positive, feed off your family and friends. Be happy with the small stuff. Money isn't everything.

"Communicate with your family and friends, build a better relationship and just try and get through this difficult time together."