Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2018, 01:06:54 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 13, 2018, 12:59:16 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2018, 12:52:49 PM
Quote from: ardtole on February 13, 2018, 12:33:33 PM
They have a point if you had off seen some of the rugby tackles in the game on Saturday. Brendan Rodgers in particular was hard done by.

Pulling someone down is cynical. But if my team mate allowed a player through on goal and didnt try and take him out i'd be raging!

S'niel lost that match on a few points, they changed from the game plan they had in the first half and didnt adopt to the sending off's... but for me the main reason for losing the game was the first 5/6 minutes at the start of teh second half where they were over run, momentum won through for NP and very hard to stop it regardless of sending off's

Hard to argue with that, my point would be roughly the same. The NP lad was straight armed for their penalty (which they missed) but the principle was the same. Also would be interested to see a replay of the second sending off, with the SN player involved I would highly doubt that it was a one sided action.

S'neil worked it, nothing wrong with that, they may have made the first action but when you are caught, tough shit! never buy the bait, now those two lads will miss out on the biggest days of their lives as they got sucked in... Cuala actually struggled for long periods on Sat against the Galway lads. but that a few weeks for both teams to get ready for a good match up, I think this will be a lot closer

Oh yeah the NP lads definitely bought it, but dont then come on complain about cynicism in the game  ;)

I think Cuala will be too much for NP anyway, too much pace all over. Any one playing Cuala are going to need goals which in fairness NP can create, just dont think they will have enough chances.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: NAG1 on February 13, 2018, 12:23:09 PM
Probably wrong thread, but slightly ironic to see Slaughtneil complaining about cynicism today in the papers.
No team playing under Mickey McShane will be without a few tricks and some days they work and others they don't. I think a bit more introspection is required than blaming the other team i.e. how did they lose a match with a 10 point swing in a half in which the opposition had 13 men.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 13, 2018, 01:42:22 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 13, 2018, 12:23:09 PM
Probably wrong thread, but slightly ironic to see Slaughtneil complaining about cynicism today in the papers.
No team playing under Mickey McShane will be without a few tricks and some days they work and others they don't. I think a bit more introspection is required than blaming the other team i.e. how did they lose a match with a 10 point swing in a half in which the opposition had 13 men.

A clubmate was down at the game and Mickey got it hot and heavy from the Baluba faithful.

Allegedly he went ahead and played a friendly the week before against the wishes of the club executive and it was in that game that the corner forward, Shay McGuigan (IIRC) got injured. Obviously third hand information and not easy to corroborate.
Don't get the logic of playing a friendly the week before a big game as no one will be going full tilt and hence little to learn at that stage.
NP were happy enough to let SN puck short as invariably it ended up in the same area.

I didn't see the sendings off, I don't think anyone did other than the linesman and straight reds would suggest it was an overstepping of the mark in a big way for a schemozzle, one lad used the boot i think.

But McKaigue can f**k right off with his black card shite as he and his mates were hanging off big magic like a new bucket in Armagh and no cards of any colour were offered out.

north_antrim_hound

S/N got what they deserved. They have mouths like sewers when on the pitch and deploy the dark arts and legal hard hits to balance out their deficiencies on the skill front.
Watched the game on Saturday NP where asleep so why after a H/T lead make the other team,officials and fans wait ten minutes and then proceed to get players sent off. I thought somebody was sniping at them from the stand roof. I think the tactics woke N/P up and they blew them away.
Mc Keauge whinging about one penalty when their free taker was having a nightmare and completely wasting their spare men is a joke.  S/N are great athletes and their work rate at closing men down will work against a LG or Dunloy but N/P are big men that can hurl so they had to hurl a bit as well and didn't or maybe can't.
They are certainly not designed for Croke Park
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Na Glinntí Glasa

he likes the bend the refs ear thats for sure.

Also noted that they didnt get frees as easy. ive seen them play a few times and they like to try and buy a free, it must be the football thing coming through, but the ref wasnt having any of it.

theres no doubt Sneill have a good side but they are a bit short in terms of being good enough to win an all ireland. Cula look to be a classy side and can score from anywhere at all on the pitch. NP def didnt play as well as i expected they could but they look a lot heavier than 2 years ago when they won the All Ireland.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

They have quite a few men carrying a bit of weight.

When they played cushendall they were all in great shape. I almost wonder was there any complacency in there and will you see a different team in the final.

I would be surprised if they beat cuala. O'callaghan is at present unmarkable so they have a lot to work out there and even then they have a few other score takers. They would need dowling, who's goal showed his quality, to be back fit.

Milltown Row2

Look S'neil best the best of Antrim down and Derry for the past few seasons, and handy at that too! And they would be favs again this year!

Cuala were comfortable but couldn't stretch away until late on, laboured a bit big the weather was piss poor!

We'll be a great final
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Plain of the Herbs

Antrim folks, is the chap's name Maol Connolly (with an 'L', as I suspect it is) or Maoi (with an 'i' as the county board's team list keeps spelling his name)?

Baile an tuaigh

Quote from: theskull1 on February 08, 2018, 10:48:46 PM
Welcome back Baile an tuaigh. Thats some break you took from the board. Prison?  :)

On the run skull, Antrim trail by 5 in Laois 20 minutes left.

Minder

Laois 0-27 Antrim 2-16 FT
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

old timers

Moore Park was extremely cold tonight and result was very disappointing. Hopefully next week on home turf for the cushendall team sorry I meant the Antrim team might bring about different fortunes 😜 here's hoping.

johnneycool

Quote from: groundlie on February 19, 2018, 01:44:43 PM
another good performance at the weekend. who said we couldnt hold our own! roll on limerick at the weekend. looking forward to seeing the guys go toe to toe.

Laois get 15 points from frees out of a total tally of 27 points. Is that not something for the management to look at?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/king-scoring-masterclass-sees-laois-past-antrim-36617457.html

north_antrim_hound

Was at the match, they actually got 7 from play(we scored more from play) the rest were 65s and beautiful sideline cut from Kavanagh. Ref blew his whistle constantly and the game had no flow. Their free taker never missed. We put in a poor effort and didn't deserve to win truth be told. Still they got some soft frees.
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

clootfromthe21

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 19, 2018, 04:46:01 PM
Was at the match, they actually got 7 from play(we scored more from play) the rest were 65s and beautiful sideline cut from Kavanagh. Ref blew his whistle constantly and the game had no flow. Their free taker never missed. We put in a poor effort and didn't deserve to win truth be told. Still they got some soft frees.

Was at game too and agree with all of the above. If we are going to play a sweeper, we have to be able to take scores from distance and we missed a number of long range shots in the second half of the first half. Needed a good start to the second half and didn't get one. Ref gave a lot of soft frees but we don't seem to be able to adapt to "play" the referee.

old timers

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 19, 2018, 04:46:01 PM

Going south and not getting referring decisions is nothing new and that happens at all levels.  We all know that but that aside you are right in saying we were poor and didn't deserve the win.  it was hard to watch and disappointing after such effort put in previously.  I have said before but I hoped Sheedy's influence would have been greater regarding players and their fitness levels and strengths and weaknesses generally- an outsiders perspective - not just the "managements" usual style  because lets face it in my opinion there were a few out there that are definitely not fit and continue to be given game time and fitted into any position.  Having a bad day on the pitch happens to everyone but for me there is no excuse for being overweight and unfit at this level.  I have asked some of our lads on the panel and they say the boxes are being ticked with regards fitness testing and improving these stats so where is it going wrong?.  After the first two matches there was a sense of definite improvement so was Saturday night just a glitch.?