Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile an tuaigh

Antrim very poor, first touch is dreadful. Westmeath well on top surprised one back in particular isn't taken off. Give up two points when he had possession of the ball. Maybe the breeze in the second half will change the pattern of the game.

marty34

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on June 08, 2019, 02:45:14 PM
Antrim very poor, first touch is dreadful. Westmeath well on top surprised one back in particular isn't taken off. Give up two points when he had possession of the ball. Maybe the breeze in the second half will change the pattern of the game.

Antrim need consistency - one great game V Offaly then poor enough in first half v Westmeath.

Hopefully they'll get back into early in 2nd half.

old timers

Unfortunately just not good enough today.  Were we complacent after the last match??  Not sure why Duffin taken off first although it could really have been any of the backs or forwards - especially in 1st half.  The frees kept us in the game. Really disappointing and poor performance all round.  We were on the back of a win but it didn't look like that at all.

Saffrongael

The win against let's face it a very poor Offaly team was totally over played, you had head cases like Brendan Crossan talking about 89 again after it. Westmeath was always going to be a much tougher proposition and sadlyso it proved, second best all over the pitch
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Saffrongael

Can we not qualify for final now ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Well that was depressing.  Beaten by a much better team.

faughs

Great to see a big crowd turnout but really disappointing performance.

- WM much more physical - won 95% of breaking ball
- Antrim's first touch was woeful
- High balls into forwards clearly wasn't working - persisted anyway.

Not many positives to take from the game unfortunately.

old timers

WM had done their homework on us but did we do any homework on them?  It certainly wasn't only Crossan that was talking about beating Offaly it was a lot of people! Including those in our own camp. Yes beating Offaly was a great victory as is any win in Antrim jersey but to be honest if we had have got beaten today but played reasonably well it would have been a bit easier to take.  Clarke against Offaly was like a superstar and today he was non existent but he most certainly wasn't the only one. It tells it's own story when you look at the scorers.  Mcmanus free taking made his performance look ok but other than that he too didn't perform today.  Playing at home we should have starred. WM were quicker and sharper all over the pitch and that's not about talent. IMO keeping Peden and Gary on was never really going bring about much change - other than who called the shots. They both should have walked away too.  I had hoped different but today just proved me right, I'm sorry to say.  Fair play to them for giving their time and effort and to everyone that does but it was a sideward step IMO

Milltown Row2

Well that could have went better. We didn't show up and Westmeath were up at least 2 notches to us both physically and stick work wise. Our forwards couldn't win any ball going in, it just wouldn't stick, pitch was fast and wet, but the Westmeath lads had no issues there.

The players went on to the pitch and they'll be the first to admit it wasn't their day, that's the best players we have available and Westmeath were better.

I'd have hoped we would have created some goal chances but we we're muscled out of every ruck, 11 for Westmeath and number 3 were excellent today.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

Didn't the Westmeath fb get an all star nomination a few seasons ago. I think he had a standout game v Tipperary that season.

marty34

Quote from: ardtole on June 08, 2019, 06:49:02 PM
Didn't the Westmeath fb get an all star nomination a few seasons ago. I think he had a standout game v Tipperary that season.

Tommy Doyle????

If so, super full back.

Is Dunloy's pitch not very tight? I thought Antrim's forwards would have wanted more space.

Antrim Coaster

Antrim were horsed out of it today by a much bigger and physical Westmeath team who got their game plan right and deserved their victory.

On most occasions when an Antrim player went for the ball or for a catch, there was a couple of Westmeath players hanging off them.

Antrim's first touch was poor as was their decision making.

In the second half with Antrim chasing the game 8-9 points down, Westmeath could afford to keep Antrim at bay by closing off the route to goal.

Whenever Antrim scored Westmeath worked the ball straight up the field and tapped over a score of their own.

The Joe McDonagh is the level Antrim are at and it shows no sign of improving in the near future.

The Gaelfast initiative would appear to be the only program that will yield improvement for Antrim at both codes if everyone buys into it.

However as Gaelfast is 5-10 year plan it appears Antrim are set for several years in the doldrums.

old timers

That's a real sad thought 5-10 years.  I'll not see it unfortunately😩. Would love to think we could bring someone in whether it be inside or outside of Antrim that could give us a bit of hope. The county board should get their act together now and see if there is anyone interested in making a difference to Antrim hurling - give plenty of time to try and find someone not just appointing the same people Over again.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: old timers on June 08, 2019, 10:06:46 PM
That's a real sad thought 5-10 years.  I'll not see it unfortunately😩. Would love to think we could bring someone in whether it be inside or outside of Antrim that could give us a bit of hope. The county board should get their act together now and see if there is anyone interested in making a difference to Antrim hurling - give plenty of time to try and find someone not just appointing the same people Over again.

Ok I'll bite, what could have made the difference with what we had? Wh were better and even with the best manager and all players available we'd have still lost, obviously you know different, so expand on you post please
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

paddyjohn

Lads, it's a game of hurling. Our lads weren't good enough, we are where we are and that's it.

Thanks for the effort this year fellas.