Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

It's looking like kk will dispose of Laois easy enough so we should stay up no matter what. (Even if we beat Laois I still think they would beat Westmeath in the playoff).

BrendanAntrim

So we are now safe in Div 1 with a round of matches still to go. We really have moved up another level over this last year. Yesterday was one of the best days watching an Antrim match, either code. Well done to everyone involved and that's a hell of a lot of people

seafoid

It would be great to see another Antrim Allstar
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bannside

Absolutely, but there's some competition out there.  All Stars are harder to win now than ever. Tony Kelly scored 20 points yesterday for Clare against a team that beat us. Will be get one? That's the standard. A rising tide lifts all boats, if we can keep on this progressive curve, who knows. That would be something very very special indeed.

imtommygunn

Less matches this year but as per any year it's the championship that counts.

Baile an tuaigh

One aspect from Antrims play yesterday was their ability to change approach very quickly when something they were trying wasn't working out. A spell in the first half they played 3 lovely diagnol balls into the corner flag. Normally that would work if you had the numbers but it looked like we were playing 2 inside forwards. They were up against 3 full backs a keeper and a sweeper so 5 vs 2. We surrendered possession easy in them circumstances.  But then there was a piece of play where Antrim adjusted and instead of playing diagonal ball in they played the ball the width of the field back and forward till an opportunity opened up and after several passes found McNaughton to put it over the bar. It was almost like Dublin in the football. I knew after that point that Antrim could win this game. That comes down to good coaching.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on June 05, 2021, 07:12:22 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on June 05, 2021, 05:16:39 PM
That tackle by Rooney was incredible! one of the finest skills in hurling. Even the commentators were in shock at the free given against him. Wee Davey would have been expecting to win that game privately he had a strong team out. He was trying to be positive for the post match interview but he has a lot to think about.
Antrim were better than he expected. It reminds me of a line from.Flower of Scotland

"And sent him.home to think again".

You'd have thought he'd have spoken to his Da since there was a good chance he was up with the Clare team..

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: groundlie on June 06, 2021, 08:54:36 PM
I agree and at the moment Walsh, Malloy, Jimmy Mac and Ryan E are shoe ins for all stars.

Nominations?

imtommygunn

That was a tight one for Derry yesterday Fear. Looked like a decent comeback from Donegal. Disappointing Down result too - had hoped they would put it up to Offaly but Offaly if they get the finger out are probably decent enough.

We need to progress in the the championship to get all star nominations never mind all stars so I suspect it would be very hard for us to get anything.

NAG1

I wouldnt care we never got an All Star as long as the team keeps going the way they are.

Some top performances, Walsh again top class at full back, Niall McKenna outstanding.

We were very lucky to stay with 15 men on the pitch NMcM probably could and should have gone for his part in the row.

Corrigan is suiting us at the moment compact tighter pitch allows us to turn it into a proper battle in all areas. Credit to the boys for then having the ability to hurl and battle.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2021, 09:08:20 AM
That was a tight one for Derry yesterday Fear. Looked like a decent comeback from Donegal. Disappointing Down result too - had hoped they would put it up to Offaly but Offaly if they get the finger out are probably decent enough.

We need to progress in the the championship to get all star nominations never mind all stars so I suspect it would be very hard for us to get anything.

It was but I was expecting that. Derry are not settled at all yet, I think it has been very difficult to mould this team without the opportunity for pre-season games etc. Donegal are on the road a long time together and are well drilled and conditioned. They had 5 lads from outside county starting too which I think sort of gives a slanted view of where they are at(although they have done massive work inside county too).

Down have been going well but Offally really seem to have regained composure and momentum under Fennelly. Antrim have really impressed me, its their conditioning that stands out a lot compared to other years, I thought Donál Óg was correct last year in what he said, Antrim were carrying timber and have worked hard on it since. Their hurling has been first class

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 07, 2021, 10:34:53 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 07, 2021, 09:08:20 AM

It was but I was expecting that. Derry are not settled at all yet, I think it has been very difficult to mould this team without the opportunity for pre-season games etc. Donegal are on the road a long time together and are well drilled and conditioned. They had 5 lads from outside county starting too which I think sort of gives a slanted view of where they are at(although they have done massive work inside county too).

Down have been going well but Offally really seem to have regained composure and momentum under Fennelly. Antrim have really impressed me, its their conditioning that stands out a lot compared to other years, I thought Donál Óg was correct last year in what he said, Antrim were carrying timber and have worked hard on it since. Their hurling has been first class

Down caught the Biffo's cold last year, that wasn't going to happen yesterday. Offaly if they get themselves organised are a step up in level for Down and TBH beating Carlow was an expected step up for this particular team. Beating Meath would be another step in the right direction and re-enforce our position in 2A.

Milltown Row2

Brendan Cummins was saying that walking into Corrigan was like playing in Galatasaray !!! well the locals do have a soccer name for Corrigan funny enough  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 07, 2021, 12:13:52 PM
Brendan Cummins was saying that walking into Corrigan was like playing in Galatasaray !!! well the locals do have a soccer name for Corrigan funny enough  :D

I think it was the dead dog on the way in that did it..

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 07, 2021, 12:13:52 PM

Are you going to share that name?? (I'm 90% sure I know the name haha)