The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: scud on July 07, 2009, 09:54:57 AM
Howyis lads....

Thinkin' of takin up the old golf and lookin for some pointers! I've played a few times now and again but I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a set of clubs. Basically I'm starting from zero, total beginner!

Advice like what sort of clubs to look at, whether to go for lessons straight away or try to get a feel for it first etc would be welcome. Theres a club not too far away from me doin new membership for £200 with free lessons one evening a week but not sure if its worth paying that yet.

Cheers

Personally I would recommend you don't buy a 3,4,5 Iron instead buy a hybrid equivalent.
They are much easier to hit and you don't lose very much if any distance.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

scud

Good stuff, thanks lads

Can anyone recommend a decent set of these cavity clubs? If I go into a golf shop asking for advice/guidance on clubs they'll spot me a mile off, may as well put a big sign saying 'sucker' on my head!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: scud on July 08, 2009, 04:21:23 PM

Good stuff, thanks lads

Can anyone recommend a decent set of these cavity clubs? If I go into a golf shop asking for advice/guidance on clubs they'll spot me a mile off, may as well put a big sign saying 'sucker' on my head!

Have you thought about cloned clubs? They aren't imitations/knockoffs btw though they are available too and should be avoided at all costs,but the clone clubs they use the same materials and design as brand name clubs but at half the cost.
Here's a few websites.

www.pinemeadowgolf.com
www.gigagolf.com
www.nordicagolf.se

It might be a cheaper option for yourself to get started,and then buy brand names clubs in a few years.
Trust me on the hybrid club though  :)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

I saw a great starter set (Callaway, I think) offer in JJB in Sprucefield there a few weeks ago - full set of irons, 2 woods and a hybrid, with bag, trolley, brolley, glove and balls for £149.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 08, 2009, 04:28:59 PM
I saw a great starter set (Callaway, I think) offer in JJB in Sprucefield there a few weeks ago - full set of irons, 2 woods and a hybrid, with bag, trolley, brolley, glove and balls for £149.

Thats unreal,you sure they were Callaway? I have a Callaway hybrid that cost me €160 on its own
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Billys Boots

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 04:33:06 PM

Thats unreal,you sure they were Callaway? I have a Callaway hybrid that cost me €160 on its own

I'm pretty sure, as I was surprised myself.  Was on the lookout for clubs for Mrs. Boots.  She hasn't made the investment yet, so I can't tell you for sure.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Billys Boots on July 08, 2009, 04:46:44 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on July 08, 2009, 04:33:06 PM

I'm pretty sure, as I was surprised myself.  Was on the lookout for clubs for Mrs. Boots.  She hasn't made the investment yet, so I can't tell you for sure.

I brought the future Mrs.Laoislad to the driving range one night,as she claimed golf was in her blood as all her uncles are scratch or nearly scratch golfers and she wanted to take the game up..
She must be adopted,I won't be bringing her again....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

venter

I've started a bit of a golf society at work. I have a good few beginners in it ( and when I say beginner's, I mean that a handicap of 24 or so is only a distant dream). We play a 3 ball scramble every couple of weeks. I find that the beginners tend to deliberate over the ball for an eternity before eventually making a swing. A good rhythm is all important in golf.

They are also rubbish at finding balls. I mean they hit it in one direction and they head off in the opposite direction looking for it. It can be draining at times..
Still its great when you see someone making progress and getting the bug for it. I have it myself at the minute.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: venter on July 08, 2009, 05:44:33 PM
I've started a bit of a golf society at work. I have a good few beginners in it ( and when I say beginner's, I mean that a handicap of 24 or so is only a distant dream). We play a 3 ball scramble every couple of weeks. I find that the beginners tend to deliberate over the ball for an eternity before eventually making a swing. A good rhythm is all important in golf.

They are also rubbish at finding balls. I mean they hit it in one direction and they head off in the opposite direction looking for it. It can be draining at times..
Still its great when you see someone making progress and getting the bug for it. I have it myself at the minute.

I played in a Pro am years ago in Old Portmarnock, the 3 of us who were playing were all over the place and the rough was a bitch, the Pro just walked up the middle of the fairway and directed you to exactly where your ball was, and I mean exactly, you walked until he told you to stop and then looked down, i asked him about it later and he said that they just couldn't afford to lose a ball, it could cost them their livelihood, so they learnt hoe to mark the ball properly
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Doogie Browser

Shane Lowry shot an excellent 2 under par 69 today at Loch Lomond.

venter

Fair play to Lowry.

Hi Gerry, have you any tips on how to mark the location of a ball yourself?  It's definitley worth learning when playing strokeplay. I played my first strokeplay comp a few months ago and ended up getting a 13 on one of the holes. It was getting embarrassing but sure its a learning curve I suppose.

gerrykeegan

I'm am rubbish at marking it, my eyesight struggles after about 220 yds, anyone who plays golf with me is used to me saying "anyone got a f**king clue where that went"

venter

Yeah, Im the same as that, Anything above 220 or so and I'll be looking around hopefully to my playing partners for an inkling as to where the effing ball went!!

muppet

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 08, 2009, 09:30:23 PM
Quote from: venter on July 08, 2009, 05:44:33 PM

I played in a Pro am years ago in Old Portmarnock, the 3 of us who were playing were all over the place and the rough was a bitch, the Pro just walked up the middle of the fairway and directed you to exactly where your ball was, and I mean exactly, you walked until he told you to stop and then looked down, i asked him about it later and he said that they just couldn't afford to lose a ball, it could cost them their livelihood, so they learnt hoe to mark the ball properly

In fairness the better you know a course the easier it is to mark a ball. The pro would have a huge advantage over someone playing it for the first time.

I am a pretty useless golfer but can find my partners wayward shots usually, try to identify a landmark as close as possible to where it lands. Remember that landmark can and usually will move relative to it's surroundings as you get closer so keep an eye on it. Most beginners overestimate how far they have hit it and a slice takes a lot of distance off the shot no matter how well you think you hit it.
MWWSI 2017

gerrykeegan

Lowry showing a great bit of maturity today 11 straight pars so far. He is two off the cut.