The Household charge

Started by comethekingdom, March 20, 2012, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny Sweeney

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 21, 2012, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 21, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
you see.. of course people will pay. truth is most already have. just wait until its 2000euro per annum like us nordies pay. that will test you intestinal fortitude :'(

Yes biut you get NHS, i had to pay fifty euro to doctir for head cold recently
Health & Social care up here is covered from general UK-wide taxation, not from the rates.

Also you went to a doctor to see about a head cold? Unless you had to get a medical certificate, that's €50 down the drain right there.

I thought it was some thing more serious

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 04:36:59 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on March 21, 2012, 03:47:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2012, 10:03:41 PM
The real protest should be against another event that happens on the 31st March. That day the Irish Government gives €3.1bn of taxpayers money to IBRC (Anglo & INBS) who will give it to the Irish Central Bank who will then destroy it.

On the one hand we have a Government who seem afraid to, or are incapable of, finding a way out of Lenihan's disastrous decisions. On the other hand, against them we have a bunch of left-wing politicians who always fight the stupid fight. They are protesting over the €100 and trying to get people not to pay and doing f*ck all about the €3.1bn. That is the one we should not pay.

Don't disagree with you. (I'm actually one of the 15% who have paid through gritted teeth.) However the €100 is the one that the ordinary plebs feel that they have some control over; we can protest all we want about the €3.1bn but short of storming Dáil Éireann with Joe McNamara's truck there's nothing we can do to stop it.

A protest over the €3.1bn would be one that could see David McWilliams, Colm McCarthy, Constantine Gordkiev, Morgan Kelly march alongside the likes of Joe Higgins, Claire Daly etc. It would be neither a left nor right wing protest and it would undoubtedly be supported by the vast majority of people.

The €100 protest is a stunt.
I think protesting over the 3.1 bn would be as well. The ECB isn't going to listen .  Maybe if the budget deficit was cut to zero. Otherwise no chance. It's brutal, power .

Maguire01

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 21, 2012, 08:16:06 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 08:11:46 PM
Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 21, 2012, 06:47:53 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 21, 2012, 06:29:28 PM
you see.. of course people will pay. truth is most already have. just wait until its 2000euro per annum like us nordies pay. that will test you intestinal fortitude :'(

Yes biut you get NHS, i had to pay fifty euro to doctir for head cold recently
Health & Social care up here is covered from general UK-wide taxation, not from the rates.

Also you went to a doctor to see about a head cold? Unless you had to get a medical certificate, that's €50 down the drain right there.

I thought it was some thing more serious
Man flu?

Maguire01

Quote from: lawnseed on March 20, 2012, 11:20:38 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 20, 2012, 09:52:14 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on March 20, 2012, 09:10:05 PM
its only a hundred euros.. it'll cost you more than that to get a solicitor to represent you when they take you to court
Didn't expect you to take that line lawnseed!
you'll never miss a cut off a sliced loaf maguire. whats the difference if your getting shagged up the arse.. its gets so you dont even notice... this is what the irish voters want.. bend over paddy
But surely it's the thin end of the wedge? Is it not the principle of the thing? I can't believe you're advocating that people should be 'sheep'.

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on March 21, 2012, 08:17:35 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 04:36:59 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on March 21, 2012, 03:47:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on March 20, 2012, 10:03:41 PM
The real protest should be against another event that happens on the 31st March. That day the Irish Government gives €3.1bn of taxpayers money to IBRC (Anglo & INBS) who will give it to the Irish Central Bank who will then destroy it.

On the one hand we have a Government who seem afraid to, or are incapable of, finding a way out of Lenihan's disastrous decisions. On the other hand, against them we have a bunch of left-wing politicians who always fight the stupid fight. They are protesting over the €100 and trying to get people not to pay and doing f*ck all about the €3.1bn. That is the one we should not pay.

Don't disagree with you. (I'm actually one of the 15% who have paid through gritted teeth.) However the €100 is the one that the ordinary plebs feel that they have some control over; we can protest all we want about the €3.1bn but short of storming Dáil Éireann with Joe McNamara's truck there's nothing we can do to stop it.

A protest over the €3.1bn would be one that could see David McWilliams, Colm McCarthy, Constantine Gordkiev, Morgan Kelly march alongside the likes of Joe Higgins, Claire Daly etc. It would be neither a left nor right wing protest and it would undoubtedly be supported by the vast majority of people.

The €100 protest is a stunt.
I think protesting over the 3.1 bn would be as well. The ECB isn't going to listen .  Maybe if the budget deficit was cut to zero. Otherwise no chance. It's brutal, power .

Rumours that Honohan is trying something. (I know).

It might help if we shut the place down for a week with no obvious political ideology or bias.
MWWSI 2017

sammymaguire

Quote from: highorlow on March 21, 2012, 02:34:01 PM
As a nation we complain all day about things been unfair this way and that, yet we go out and bet on Chelthenham, the Football and drink like its running out on days like last Saturday. So we can set 100 quid aside for this yet we can't pay our taxes? Very strange.

Shoot people for wanting to spend their hard earned by enjoying themselves at the weekend or during their leisure time rather than being forced to hand over money for the pleasure of having their name registered for more of the same in the years to come. What a complete load of bollocks
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

muppet

Imagine if the anti-Household tax protestors succeed, what happens next? Anyone like to speculate?

Has anyone even though about it?

MWWSI 2017

magpie seanie

Quote from: muppet on March 21, 2012, 11:11:52 PM
Imagine if the anti-Household tax protestors succeed, what happens next? Anyone like to speculate?

Then we vote no to the blackmail treaty.

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hound

Quote from: the Deel Rover on March 22, 2012, 12:14:17 PM
i'm not paying it .
I dunno.

The only people who I can understand being against this are the freeloaders, spongers and those with loads of properties.

A single person on €25k is paying €930 more in income tax per year now than they did in 2008.
Someone on €50k is paying €2,725 more in income tax per year.
Someone on €100k is paying €5,090 more.

So the vast majority of workers are between €1k and €5k worse off, due to income tax alone, than they were 4 years ago. In 2009, 2010 and 2011 there were significant tax hikes.

For 2012 the govt still needs to raise more taxes, but have rightly said we've hit income tax enough. Its time for everyone who holds a property to pay.  Given all the tax increases we've had over the last few years its absolutely correct that this new tax is more widely spread. Of course those on welfare shouldnt be exempt - unless they don't own a house.

And if the protestors are successful in getting the household charge revoked, who will be left to pick up the tab? It'll be back completely on income tax payers.   

muppet

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 22, 2012, 11:47:37 AM

I am thinking of voting no anyway.

But if a simple €100 tax collapses, then so will the Government. There are some very naive people in opposition who think it will lead to an election, it won't. We will have a Government imposed unelected on us by the EU/ECB, like Greece and Italy. Then there will be no referendum.

Maybe that is what people want.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

So it's up to 30% paid this morning. Doesn't look like it's going to hit 50%. Will be interesting to see what happens now. I thing the government need to ensure this is linked directly to local services - taxpayers should see where their money is going. Maybe local authorities should be funded in line with the proportion of householders in their area that paid the charge?

mylestheslasher

Hound - what price was a litre of petrol in 2008? Its all relative. If local authorities were anything other than a joke run and administered by idiots where waste is their primary output, maybe i would pay this. Where is the reform of local authorities?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2012, 01:13:19 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 22, 2012, 11:47:37 AM

I am thinking of voting no anyway.

But if a simple €100 tax collapses, then so will the Government. There are some very naive people in opposition who think it will lead to an election, it won't. We will have a Government imposed unelected on us by the EU/ECB, like Greece and Italy. Then there will be no referendum.

Maybe that is what people want.

I think people are entitled to protest but they should really see the bigger picture. The country has  a budget deficit of 15bn and needs another 3bn pa to repay the effin Anglo debt. That's 18bn or approx 90 euro per  head per week for everyone in the country. And it is going to have to get to zero in the next few years. The country is living way beyond its means.

The ECB, FF and the developers have brought the country to this place.

downgirl

Lads I got a card through the door during the week there, A5 double sided, full colour, Household Charge - final reminder basically giving all the details of what the money is for, where you can pay, who is liable, exempt etc.

Anyway I was wondering was this sent to every house in the country?  Or just to a list of people who hadn't paid by whatever day they had sent it out?

In any case, I feel this was an unnecessary waste of money on behalf of the government (printing out x million amount of leaflets, distribution via, I assume, an post who will require to be paid as well).  Probably cost the equivalent of 5% of the total amount of households that have already paid the tax!