Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I have linked to Spotify for years. I think it was a 645 forerunner music. The 245 forerunner music would do the same. Watch and Bluetooth headphones and you're carrying very little.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: bigfrank on January 04, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
Do any of the watches you have link to Spotify for example?? I prefer to listen to music as I run,have always just carried my phone in my pocket with my Strava turned on just as I begin to run and Spotify playing into my wireless headphones,

I have the Garmin 645 music, works great holds 500 songs on Spotify, you do need a Spotify premium account.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

lfdown2

Quote from: 5times5times on January 04, 2022, 04:56:24 PM
Quote from: laoislad on January 01, 2022, 05:02:28 PM
Quote from: 5times5times on January 01, 2022, 04:57:51 PM
Been dragged into a half marathon later this summer.. Slightly novice runner.. Anyone any tips/websites/plans to follow on best way to train? Tks!!
Depends on what you want out of it? Have you a goal time or is just finishing enough?

Finishing i suppose, but not to make a sham out of myself!! Circa 2-2.5hrs is what i'd imagine?

https://www.halhigdon.com/

Find Hal's programs great, think someone recommended them here a good few years ago

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 05, 2022, 09:37:40 AM
Quote from: bigfrank on January 04, 2022, 06:57:07 PM
Do any of the watches you have link to Spotify for example?? I prefer to listen to music as I run,have always just carried my phone in my pocket with my Strava turned on just as I begin to run and Spotify playing into my wireless headphones,

I have the Garmin 245 music, works great holds 500 songs on Spotify, you do need a Spotify premium account.
Do most of you run with music? I hardly ever do. On a treadmill yeah all the time but 99% of the time outside I don't.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

imtommygunn

I would when I'm running on my own. I prefer it.

gerrykeegan

I'd be lost without some music or a podcast to listen to. I'd have to listen to myself!

omagh_gael

Has anyone got the AfterShokz bone conducting headphones? I got a set for Christmas and was rather skeptical re music quality but have to say I'm very impressed. Sound quality is excellent considering they aren't in ear headphones.

I recently got a road racing bike and standard headphones would be much too dangerous out on the roads but these did a fantastic job of giving me peripheral awareness of cars and music at same time.

trueblue1234

Just started back running again and on first run during warm up mile I started getting Achilles pain. Not severe but restricting a bit. I know these sort of injuries can just happen but usually when increasing the load. This was literally my first run in months. So annoying when finally decided to get back into it.
I continued on and it was sore for first mile and a half or so then seemed to loosen up. But very sore next day so left it 3-4 days and tried another run. Same thing.
Again left it another decent break but same again. Just sore when starting and then really sore next day.
Really frustrating. And one any good ways of treating the Achilles that doesn't involve resting it for ages.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

gerrykeegan

Quote from: omagh_gael on January 08, 2022, 09:38:48 PM
Has anyone got the AfterShokz bone conducting headphones? I got a set for Christmas and was rather skeptical re music quality but have to say I'm very impressed. Sound quality is excellent considering they aren't in ear headphones.

I recently got a road racing bike and standard headphones would be much too dangerous out on the roads but these did a fantastic job of giving me peripheral awareness of cars and music at same time.

Can I ask does the sound of the cars/traffic not drown out what you are listening to?

lurganblue

I always loved to run with earphones in and listen to podcasts etc.  started cycling last year and just didnt feel safe on the roads with earphones in.  I missed having that distraction. Do you still feel that you are able to have your wits about you with these on?

imtommygunn

I thought about those for someone in my family with hearing issues as I thought they may help but never for running tbh.

trueblue I get achilles issues more than I should. It's not always the achilles is the issue. Poor hip function / mobility can cause it. There's a load of exercises can be done - working at home I have found a killer for tightness etc.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: lurganblue on January 11, 2022, 04:09:55 PM

I always loved to run with earphones in and listen to podcasts etc.  started cycling last year and just didnt feel safe on the roads with earphones in.  I missed having that distraction. Do you still feel that you are able to have your wits about you with these on?
Get a varia rear radar for bike. great job

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 05, 2022, 11:33:45 AM
I'd be lost without some music or a podcast to listen to. I'd have to listen to myself!
I dunno, I sort of just zone out when I'm running and don't even be thinking about much. I'm nearly in a zen like state especially on the longer slow runs.I ran for over 2hrs today nice and easy and I honestly dunno where the couple of hours went as it felt like it was over in a flash.Listening to music just sort of annoys me, but then my taste in music is brutal so there is that  ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 11, 2022, 04:11:47 PM

I thought about those for someone in my family with hearing issues as I thought they may help but never for running tbh.

trueblue I get achilles issues more than I should. It's not always the achilles is the issue. Poor hip function / mobility can cause it. There's a load of exercises can be done - working at home I have found a killer for tightness etc.
Nearly all my ailments are related to sitting on my hole all day/poor posture. Latest is a psoas muscle spasm. Couple of years ago was hip flexor and before that shoulder rotator cuff, also related to sitting hunched over a PC. I find my achilles very tight with the right one sore to the touch.  Was told years ago to do Pilates but might actually have to do something.

imtommygunn

Pilates is very good. I don't have the time at the minute to do it and can really feel the difference not doing it. It always made a massive difference to my running. (It takes ages for you to see the benefit btw if you ever get round to doing it. That may not be what you want to hear  :D)