Clare v Mayo Round 3A Qualifier

Started by From the Bunker, July 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

From a distance looks a decent draw. But Clare were the only team on this side of the draw to impress in the last round. Also away in Ennis will be no fun. This was/is always going to be the toughest fixture with the short turnaround.

OgraAnDun

Unless Mayo improve a lot, Clare will give them their fill of it.

Halfquarter

Mayo are better off getting out of McHale Park, ir doesn't seem too suit them theses days.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 03, 2017, 09:19:03 AM
From a distance looks a decent draw. But Clare were the only team on this side of the draw to impress in the last round. Also away in Ennis will be no fun. This was/is always going to be the toughest fixture with the short turnaround.

Donegal or Meath away would have been tougher.

cornetto

Clare do perform in the qualifiers in fairness,but would expect mayo to advance.Lee Keegan would be a big loss but with
A o shea back in form,hard to see a shock from Clare.
I think meath will beat donegal,the league was donegals c/ship.

seafoid

Mayo will need to have scoring forwards to beat Clare.
Meath remind me of someone who has just left hospital. I don't think they are robust enough to deal with Donegal.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

galwayman

Clare are still a better draw than Meath or Donegal away.

tippabu

Quote from: galwayman on July 03, 2017, 10:20:11 AM
Clare are still a better draw than Meath or Donegal away.

I dunno, dont think theres much between meath and clare, meath are like cork and get shown too much respect because they are a big name and their past success, neither team have done anything recently to warrant it (a win next weekend for meath would change that)

rosnarun

i hate enns must be the worst county ground in the country.
and the town seems to be booked out for the night already .
As for the Match it has tricky Tie written all over it. a no win for mayo lose its seen as a disgrace and win sure it was 'only clare'. Id be very wary
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Clare beat Down and Cork in D2 this year. They are fairly solid. Mayo are going to have to work.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on July 03, 2017, 10:30:48 AM
As for the Match it has tricky Tie written all over it. a no win for mayo lose its seen as a disgrace and win sure it was 'only clare'. Id be very wary

Cusack Park is a field of dreams. Saying it's worse than Salthill for a game is an insult.

I expect this one will be more straight forward than the Derry game for Mayo.

Ballaghman

Quote from: Syferus on July 03, 2017, 10:38:26 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on July 03, 2017, 10:30:48 AM

Cusack Park is a field of dreams. Saying it's worse than Salthill for a game is an insult.

I expect this one will be more straight forward than the Derry game for Mayo.
Have to agree Syf. Ennis is way ahead of Salthill. Also last years U21 and the 2006 one makes it one of my favourite venues......even if it's awkward to get in and out of.
This is a tough draw though, Clare have something Meath and Donegal don't have, momentum and belief in a style of play. Collins has them absolutely flying it. I expect a serious battle the next day. I if we're off form like we were against Derry then Clare will smell blood and go for us. I think we'll win but we don't do handy ones anymore so I'd expect it to be tight.
Although Loftus and Doc were very good the last day, I'd hold the two of them in reserve for now. We need an impact off the bench and the two boys give that. Definitely in the case of Loftus, he's still a bit light and I think bringing him in when the game has opened up suits him better. The other argument is to not start Andy and bring him on. Either way we need a strong 15 to finish the game. I'd expect Diarmaid to start the next day so one of the 'workhorses' may lose out.

Cunny Funt

Mayo probably better off away from MacHale park lost to Cavan,Monaghan there already this year less than convincing for 70 mins against Derry while away from home Mayo have beaten Tyrone and Kerry. Ennis is also a happy hunting ground for Mayo with many of the current panel winning U21 All Ireland medals there.

Mayo4Sam

Two great wins in Ennis for Mayo, I'll always like the place and from what I remember not too bad a spot to get in and out of, coming back through Claregalway was a nightmare

I'd have much preferred Meath, they are red rotten useless at the minute
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 03, 2017, 12:05:21 PM
I'd have much preferred Meath, they are red rotten useless at the minute
Only because of Carew Sligo somehow found a way to lose to Meath.