Tommy Breheny resigns as Sligo boss - Tommy Jordan takes over

Started by Owenmoresider, October 09, 2007, 11:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Didn't see this one coming I have to say. Hard to know who will take the reigns now, just bloody great news that. From the county's site:

It is with regret that I have to inform you that Tommy Breheny will not continue as Manager of the Sligo Senior Team for 2008.

His reason for this is due to his commitment to work and his family.

While I was very disappointed on hearing this news it was equally hard on Tommy to relay it.

I asked Tommy to get involved and help us out back in February 2006 and I have to say he was willing and gave nothing but total commitment since then.  He of course got due reward in winning the Connacht Championship this year, but if one was to realise his input one would understand that this success was to happen because his work ethic demanded it.

Tommy had nothing but the best interest of Sligo football at heart and he put this before all else while in charge.

While he has come to a point where he has to take a break I know he will help in the future and from time to time when asked.

I wish to thank him most sincerely for his total commitment to Sligo football for most of the past three years but in particular for the last two years when I sought his expertise.

I also wish to compliment those who gave him help in particular his selectors John Kent and P. J. Laughton.

Sligo football is indebted to Tommy Breheny and on behalf of all of us I wish to thank him most sincerely – I already look forward to a time when he can get involved again.

Mile buicohas, Tomas.

John Murphy

Chairman Sligo County Board.

Barney

That's a shock alright, and very suprising that it has happened so late in the year. Sligo are playing catch-up now for 2008.

Was there some internal disagreement? or has he decided that he has achieved all that he can?

stephenite

magpie seanie

I would say that the reasons quoted are 100% genuine and would be shocked if there was any behind the scenes disagreement behind this. I had expected him to stay on so it is a bit of a shock alright.

Fair play to Tommy for the work he did and for finally ending the 32 year drought. I've long rated him as a top class manager and tactician and was delighted when he got the job. Now we are in a dodgy spot again. No idea on a successor. I just hope they don't appoint someone hastily.

Teeling Gael

Agree with Seanie in that the reasons given in the press release are 100% genuine. No one could have anything but praise for all that Tommy Brehony has achieved in the last 18 months. To see an intercounty manager training his club U13's immediately after Sligos exit from the senior championship is the mark of the man.

Disagree with Barneys comment that this puts Sligo way behind for 2008 as to be honest there is very few operating outside the panel that show up in the club championship and it is only in the next few weeks that collective panel training would commence again.

As for a successor , presumably the strategy will again be to look inside the county first with the old reliables of Anthony Brennan and Denis Johnston being 2 of the more obvious candidates.

magpie seanie

QuoteAs for a successor , presumably the strategy will again be to look inside the county first with the old reliables of Anthony Brennan and Denis Johnston being 2 of the more obvious candidates.

Oh Lord!

glenswilly gael

I feel that Charlie Mulgrew would be a good appointment for Sligo. I know you had a bad experience with the last Fermanagh manager you appointed but Charlie is a different type of Manager. Only problem for Sligo now is that unless the new man wins a Connacht title they will be seen as a failure. After not getting the Donegal job i think Charlie will be anxious to stay involved in county football and its only 70 miles from Letterkenny to Sligo Town.

thebandit

While I wouldn't doubt for a second that his reasons are 100% genuine, I cant help feeling that he is getting out at the right time - as Connacht champions

Mano

Very disappointed to here this news and echo the sentiments of every other Sligo person on here. What he has done for Sligo football over the last two years has been unbelieveable. From being a laughing stock losing to Waterford and Tipperary to Connaught champions in 18 months.

However the timing of this announcement is all wrong. If he was to resign he should have done so shortly after the Cork defeat to give the county board an opportunity to appoint a successor and allow him the chance to look at the local championships and unearth new players (unless of course the announcement has only been made public now and a successor has already been chosen).

He was at the county final on Sunday and many club games since the Cork game (maybe seeing the forward talent on show last Sunday he made up his mind :P)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 10, 2007, 09:06:32 AM
I would say that the reasons quoted are 100% genuine and would be shocked if there was any behind the scenes disagreement behind this. I had expected him to stay on so it is a bit of a shock alright.

Fair play to Tommy for the work he did and for finally ending the 32 year drought. I've long rated him as a top class manager and tactician and was delighted when he got the job. Now we are in a dodgy spot again. No idea on a successor. I just hope they don't appoint someone hastily.

also thought he gave a great account of himself as manager this year and tactically was not found wanting in Connacht.
He gave Sligo football a huge boost in guiding them to the provincial title.
After that was a bonus.
Think he may deep down think that he has brought that bunch of players as far as he can, as a few of their better men are pushing on now
imo
Best of luck to him.

Pietas

Liam McHale/David Brady combo tipped as likely successors
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

stephenite

Don't think the combo would be on the cards but I am hearing that someone in the County Board is pushing for Liam to get the job

paddypastit

Disappointing news but as others have said it's 100% as it has been announced.  Like Seanie, I'd have been an advocate of his being in the job at least a year before he ended up there but for sure it was better late than never. I know from talking with him a number of times after he took the job that the impact on his family was a huge issue from Day 1 and yet he gave it everything and he deserved to be successful.  Murphy's comment that success was an inevitable outcome is not unfair and the fact that he wouldn't compromise on his commitment was what got the return from the players.  It's to his credit that he didn't try or give in to some half way house effort for 2008 and stay on to try 'keeping all sides happy'.  I was struck too by how little we heard about the manager out of the Sligo camp- he did his job, passionately and with pride, and didn't look for a profile or to nmake a name for himself. 

As to successors, wouldn't be mad about the internal names mentioned.  DJ was there before and couldn't hack it. AB - well I don't know.  Of the external option, like the sound of Mulgrew, I have to say.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Barney

According to the Irish Times today the contenders are:

Liam Brady
John Casey
David Brady
Anthony Brennan
James Kearns

Bensars

TV3 sports news last night were saying that eamon o hara was favourite