Sligo - the Division Four thread, farewell, it's been nice knowing you....

Started by Owenmoresider, January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Would be hopeful of a similar sized thread as the Mayo/Derry or Dubs/Tyrone threads on this one, well never mind....

Need to get off to a good start, so a comfortable win and a good display by the forwards would be ideal. Word is encouraging about the new regime, not what I'd expected. Still it's only January so a long way to go before we can judge them better. The trips to Clare, Antrim and Wicklow will be real tests of the team's character, and we'd need to win two of those probably, provided the Germans' border raid doesn't come off.

Team is named for Sunday. Sligonian: Care to notice that something, erm, isn't quite right about the panel?

The Sligo Manager Kevin Walsh has named his team which will line out against Kilkenny in Markievicz Park on this Sunday February 1st throw in at 2-30pm The First Round of the National League Division 4

Phillip Greene

Charlie Harrison (Capt)            Noel McGuire                       Brendan Phillips
St John's                                    Easkey                                      Eastern Harps

Jonathan Davey                        Michael McNamara                    Paul McGovern   
St Mary's                                    St John's                                 Eastern Harps                                                                             
                         Eugene Mullen                                Sean Davey
                           Easkey                                              Curry

Gary Gaughan                          Eamon O'Hara                        Kenneth Sweeney
Tourlestrane                              Tourlestrane                                Geevagh

Dermot McTiernan                    Keith Raymond                     Adrian Marren
Ballymote                                   Calry/St Joseph's                             Curry

SUBS
Jason Farrell
Neil Ewing
Barry Kivelhan
Pat Naughton
Tony Taylor
Stephen Gilmartin
Alan Costello
Shane Stenson
David Kelly

Mayo lads- fill yer boots.

And Farrell gets dropped after being in goals for the FBD games. Another Spring of Greene howlers awaits I guess. A few questionable selections, such as the ongoing problems at CHB and midfield (though we're not blessed with many options available to us, Taylor will be in early methinks). Raymond didn't convince against Galway but he gets another shot at it anyway. Anyone offering a spread on how long O'Hara survives until his inevitable yellow card? Having just seen who's got our game, I'll call it for 0-10, and we'll probably finish up with 12-13. Yes Vincent Neary is about to torture us again, just as well it's against Kilkenny then.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: hardstation on January 28, 2009, 01:19:27 AM
If there is anything less than a 20 point margin, I'll be very surprised. That's being generous to Kilkenny. They were unbelieveably bad last year and only for the ref giving them frees (which weren't) when they got anywhere near the 21, they wouldn't have scored.

You'll not learn much from this game.
This ref will give them all he can, bitter bordering bollix. Never seen him ref Sligo and give anything apporaching fair treatment to us. Better it be on Sunday rather than up in Casement I guess.

I'd expect comfortable, but I geniunely can't remember us ever putting away a team with real ease, so I'm reticent to predict a margin. The last time (or near enough to it) we played KK, we only won by two. Fair bit has changed in the interim though.

SLIGONIAN

Excellent update so early in the week OMS, thanks, flatout at work so will reply later.

I see Shane stenston made it is that what your on about OMS? ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

baoithe

Quote from: Owenmoresider on January 28, 2009, 01:08:36 AM
Would be hopeful of a similar sized thread as the Mayo/Derry or Dubs/Tyrone threads on this one, well never mind....

Need to get off to a good start, so a comfortable win and a good display by the forwards would be ideal. Word is encouraging about the new regime, not what I'd expected. Still it's only January so a long way to go before we can judge them better. The trips to Clare, Antrim and Wicklow will be real tests of the team's character, and we'd need to win two of those probably, provided the Germans' border raid doesn't come off.

Team is named for Sunday. Sligonian: Care to notice that something, erm, isn't quite right about the panel?

The Sligo Manager Kevin Walsh has named his team which will line out against Kilkenny in Markievicz Park on this Sunday February 1st throw in at 2-30pm The First Round of the National League Division 4

Phillip Greene

Charlie Harrison (Capt)            Noel McGuire                       Brendan Phillips
St John's                                    Easkey                                      Eastern Harps

Jonathan Davey                        Michael McNamara                    Paul McGovern  
St Mary's                                    St John's                                 Eastern Harps                                                                             
                         Eugene Mullen                                Sean Davey
                           Easkey                                              Curry

Gary Gaughan                          Eamon O'Hara                        Kenneth Sweeney
Tourlestrane                              Tourlestrane                                Geevagh

Dermot McTiernan                    Keith Raymond                     Adrian Marren
Ballymote                                   Calry/St Joseph's                             Curry

SUBS
Jason Farrell
Neil Ewing
Barry Kivelhan
Pat Naughton
Tony Taylor
Stephen Gilmartin
Alan Costello
Shane Stenson
David Kelly

Mayo lads- fill yer boots.

And Farrell gets dropped after being in goals for the FBD games. Another Spring of Greene howlers awaits I guess. A few questionable selections, such as the ongoing problems at CHB and midfield (though we're not blessed with many options available to us, Taylor will be in early methinks). Raymond didn't convince against Galway but he gets another shot at it anyway. Anyone offering a spread on how long O'Hara survives until his inevitable yellow card? Having just seen who's got our game, I'll call it for 0-10, and we'll probably finish up with 12-13. Yes Vincent Neary is about to torture us again, just as well it's against Kilkenny then.

Ah for Christ's sake!
I wonder how he'd treat Costello if he were playing?

irunthev

magpie seanie

I have never seen Vincent Neary referee a match where Sligo (or a Sligo club team in Connacht) have won. This record will continue regardless of the result on sunday as I'm away at the weekend. With him reffing the margin is irrelevant, if we get a win I'll take it.

As for the team - backs look ok. Midfield we know about. I like the look of the forwards and think Raymond deserves to be persevered with. I think he could end up doing well there. We also have a bit of forward firepower on the bench for once.

dodo

Quote from: baoithe on January 28, 2009, 06:50:17 AM

Ah for Christ's sake!
I wonder how he'd treat Costello if he were playing?

Never mind how Neary would treat him what about the Shiek ?

thebandit

What is the point of playing O'Hara against Sligo? At his age would you not be better off giving him a break?

thebandit

Quote from: thebandit on January 28, 2009, 05:29:19 PM
What is the point of playing O'Hara against Kilkenny? At his age would you not be better off giving him a break?

mannix

best of luck against kk, will there be a dinnerdancew if ye win?

thejuice

Checked with the bookies Sligo 1/100,  Kilkenny 18/1.

What are Sligo doing in that division for feck sake,
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

baoithe

Quote from: thejuice on January 28, 2009, 08:32:31 PM
Checked with the bookies Sligo 1/100,  Kilkenny 18/1.

What are Sligo doing in that division for feck sake,

Because we deserve to be.

Owenmoresider

mannix

Does that mean you are expecting a loss owenmoresider?
As a little sidepiece DJ CAREY kicked football for the cats a few years ago in a game against wexford, apparently he stood out as a decent football player.I would expect Sligo to win most of their games in this division and move back up fast. The new manager is a champion himself and who else can really be listened to?  It will be hard for the sligo lads to adjust to a blast from Galway or even Mayo in championship after a league playing the poorer relations in football.Imagine the time kk or waterford will allow a lad on the ball as opposed to the better teams.

magpie seanie

Everyone gets more time on the ball in the league because fellas aren't in razor sharp condition and pitches are heavy. I don't think the league is much indicator or preparation for championship.

Regardless, we'll struggle come championship though I'd expect improvment on last years debacle(s).