The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens73

Quote from: whitey on May 29, 2020, 03:17:26 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2020, 02:23:34 PM
And he had the obligatory right wing "THUGS" reference in there when talking about black people.

I don't recall him wheeling it out when white right wingers, armed to the teeth with battlefield weaponry, were taking over government buildings in the past month.

I think there are some very fine people on both sides

When a PRESIDENT says when the looting starts, the shooting starts you have to got to admit that he has crossed a line (for the umpteenth time, just in brighter lights this time) call it out for what it is without bringing others into it. He wasn't forced to say that by anyone.

sid waddell

I don't recall him wheeling it out when white right wingers, armed to the teeth with battlefield weaponry, were taking over government buildings in the past month.
No, because he supported those white supremacist thugs, as he supports all white supremacist thugs.

It's the white supremacism, stoopid.

whitey

Quote from: glens73 on May 29, 2020, 03:29:39 PM
And he had the obligatory right wing "THUGS" reference in there when talking about black people.

When a PRESIDENT says when the looting starts, the shooting starts you have to got to admit that he has crossed a line (for the umpteenth time, just in brighter lights this time) call it out for what it is without bringing others into it. He wasn't forced to say that by anyone.

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. He's a clown and I'm not surprised he said something as stupid.

Regardless of what he said, your side would have micro dissected it and found some non existent "dog whistle" to be outraged about

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on May 29, 2020, 03:21:05 PM

https://www.ft.com/content/b2253265-ff74-402b-8454-30e96d66d67b

Yet there are unmistakable signs that older voters are turned off by Mr Trump's pandemic record. In late February, Mr Trump had a double-digit lead over Mr Biden among voters aged over 65. Average recent polls showed Mr Biden 10 points ahead.

By psephological standards, this is a tectonic shift. It explains why Florida, where many retirees live and Mr Trump's primary residence, shows Mr Biden with an average four-point lead. Ditto for Arizona. Mr Biden has clear leads in Michigan and Pennsylvania and a slim one in Wisconsin — the three states that tipped the balance in 2016. Even deeply Republican Georgia and Texas show Mr Biden within striking distance. Were such numbers to hold in November, Mr Trump would lose by a landslide.

Seafoid....with all due respect, go on YouTube and watch all the experts mock Trumps chances of winning in 2016. He'll be there or there abouts in November

glens73

Quote from: whitey on May 29, 2020, 03:51:51 PM

I'm not going to lose too much sleep over it. He's a clown and I'm not surprised he said something as stupid.

Regardless of what he said, your side would have micro dissected it and found some non existent "dog whistle" to be outraged about

I don't have any side. I don't think there's much dissecting required of that statement. He's inciting violence, I would be very concerned if I was American with that sociopath in charge.

sid waddell

White right-wingers in their echo chamber tend to "lose no sleep", alright.

That would be because they literally cannot comprehend of anything outside of that little echo chamber.

We had and still have a similar phenomenon among a large section of the population in the north of Ireland.

glens73

I don;t know if I'm being naive here but how in hell's name have they not been able to arrest that cop yet?

J70

Well in this case the dog whistle is existent.

J70

Quote from: glens73 on May 29, 2020, 04:03:35 PM
I don;t know if I'm being naive here but how in hell's name have they not been able to arrest that cop yet?

I saw a quote, possibly from a federal investigator, that there was exculpatory evidence and that they didn't want to rush anything.

What could possibly throw doubt on the appalling, callous and (presumably) criminal conduct of that cop with the knee on the guy's neck for 8+ minutes, I'm not sure.

glens73

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2020, 04:13:05 PM
Quote from: glens73 on May 29, 2020, 04:03:35 PM

I saw a quote, possibly from a federal investigator, that there was exculpatory evidence and that they didn't want to rush anything.

What could possibly throw doubt on the appalling, callous and (presumably) criminal conduct of that cop with the knee on the guy's neck for 8+ minutes, I'm not sure.

Wouldn't you just arrest him and determine that later? It's not as if there isn't just cause for an arrest - or is the law so different over there?

Jell 0 Biafra

Trump would just pardon him anyway.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2020, 04:07:11 PM

Well in this case the dog whistle is existent.

Yes-I agree

"Thug" does seem to have taken on a meaning it didn't have in the past, but he's so out of touch I highly doubt he or his politically incorrect supporters even know that. You're giving him way too much credit

Gmac

What happened to George Floyd is reprehensible and the cop should be charged with manslaughter at the least , burning down your neighborhood won't help your community.

glens73

He knew what he was doing, it should be murder.

Burning down your own community isn't the right thing, but peaceful protesting ain't working.

sid waddell

Violence in the face of hundreds of years of continuing systemic racism is entirely understandable.

How African-Americans have remained so overwhelmingly peace-loving in the face of utterly evil injustice and atrocity committed by whites throughout American history, I don't know.